what do you use for tape when you need to use tape?

Marzipan

I don't have any Scotch tape at the moment to help my grandson with a little project using a toy quadcopter (he cut a triangle of thin cardboard, cut out ailerons and a spot to fit the quadcopter into in the hopes it will work as a wing) and because we traced and cut the spot for the copter to fit, we need to secure it somehow, so I was thinking a thin strip of tape up top and one below so it resists popping out of the wing since it's not a tight fit.

so, since I need to get some tape, might as well check if there is something useful for rc aircraft and get some at the same time. :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the clear packing tape, it's good stuff.

You might try some CA to attach the wing.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I can tell you what I don't use: the Dollar Tree Tape. (At least, I regret it EVERY time)
yes... all of it.

checkerboardflyer

I found some tape that matches the Flite Test Water Resistant Foam Board pretty well. You have to look twice to see that there's a tape joint. I bought mine at Amazon. And it matches plain old cardboard really well. Comes in different widths. More tips and resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

brown kraft tape.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Another +1 on the packing tape. It's probably my most used tape as it's light, smooth, easy to work with, sticky, and actually quite strong for what we do with it. I tape most of my leading edges with it before I do the foldover and if I need any permanent tape it's usually going to be clear packing tape. I sometimes use scotch tape to tack things in place for a bit if needed, but it only ever stays on the plane if I can't get it off when the build is done lol.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm a big believer in the right tape for the job just like with glue.
When I need lots of strength but not much weight I go with that fiber reenforced packing tape.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
+1 on clear packing tape and I use it to repair my other foam planes too as it is invisible and holds it all together...