what ft scratch build plane would this power?

FDS

Elite member
That 2212 1000kv will power most of the simple series size planes. Minis want a smaller motor, you can use a 2212 but they are a bit heavy IMO, I use this 1808/2400kv with a 6x4 prop for minis, works well on smaller 2s packs 500-850mah.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/vspec-motor-1808-2400kv-cww-0-2-laminations.html
It also fits the mini firewall.
The Corsair isn’t really a “first plane” if you haven’t flown before that motor you linked would power a Scout which is pretty good to learn on. It would also power the Cub and Storch which are fairly docile fliers too.

FDS

Elite member
All minis are a similar weight. The bigger one you linked will work with the bigger Corsair, mighty minis want smaller ones like the one I linked. I have made a Tiny Trainer, SE5A and Mini Guinea with that motor, all flew great.
If you look at the store listing they suggest a 2206 Radial which is almost identical to the one I linked in size, weight and KV. The store listings show the power packs, I then find a similar cheaper motor, the plans are very outdated in some cases.

Stylze707

could you link the props you were referring to? also based on the specs of the motor i should be looking for a 15a bec? if i were to go the 3s route what size should i get for the mini corsair?(sorry for all the questions, clearly a noob at all this, ive built a multi rotor before but this is completely different)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you could probably fly most of the full sized planes off that pack but you would , 1) need another 2 servos unless it was anything other than a wing or elevon mix, 2) those props are crap, 3) never forget you get what you pay for.

good luck,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
could you link the props you were referring to?

for that motor you will want to stick to a 9x4.5 or 10x4.5 depending upon battery voltage.

also based on the specs of the motor i should be looking for a 15a bec?

for what? a BEC is a "Battery Elimination Circuit" and only needed if your draw is more than the 5v the Rx can supply. if you look at the pic it shoes your ESC has a 5a 3amp BEC which should be fine for up to 4 servos.

if i were to go the 3s route what size should i get for the mini corsair?(sorry for all the questions, clearly a noob at all this, i've built a multi rotor before but this is completely different)

this motor is way to big for a mini corsair, if you have a diff motor we would need to know more to be able to answer that question. best bet when unsure about motor interchange is to weigh it. see how many grams it is and go find something similar.

good luck,

Stylze707

for that motor you will want to stick to a 9x4.5 or 10x4.5 depending upon battery voltage.

for what? a BEC is a "Battery Elimination Circuit" and only needed if your draw is more than the 5v the Rx can supply. if you look at the pic it shoes your ESC has a 5a 3amp BEC which should be fine for up to 4 servos.

this motor is way to big for a mini corsair, if you have a diff motor we would need to know more to be able to answer that question. best bet when unsure about motor interchange is to weigh it. see how many grams it is and go find something similar.

good luck,

sorry for the confusion all my questions were referring to FDS's comment on the 1808 motor

Stylze707

good luck,

also the transmitter and receiver setup i have is the fs-i6 and fs-ia6b

FDS

Elite member
You want any 6x4 APC prop. I use these
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/apc-style-propeller-6x4-grey-ccw-2pcs.html

Don‘t confuse the BEC and ESC. You want at least a 20A ESC for the 1808. I would put a 30A one on the 2212. You can see what size ESC you need by looking at the motor data sheet. The current draw with each prop size is listed there, then go bigger than the peak. So if a motor needs 20A peak go 25 or 30A fo the ESC. This will stop them getting hot.

Stylze707

Don‘t confuse the BEC and ESC. You want at least a 20A ESC for the 1808. I would put a 30A one on the 2212. You can see what size ESC you need by looking at the motor data sheet. The current draw with each prop size is listed there, then go bigger than the peak. So if a motor needs 20A peak go 25 or 30A fo the ESC. This will stop them getting hot.
Since I came from multi rotors I had to teach myself about planes. But from what I know all rc airplanes need a bec. All Bec's have a built in esc. The bec basically replaces the flight controller in a sense preventing you from haveong to get a 5v source or whatever to power your receiver correct?

Stylze707

Also would it be possible to configure the mini corsair to a bank and yank system so only 2 servos? Servos are insanely over priced

Stylze707

Servos are not insanely overpriced. Mine cost $3 each max. I just get them off eBay.
Where at? Cheapest place I know is Ebay and I've seen as low as 4.50, banggood one lost faith in and is why I sadly quite multi rotar because I've lost too much money in it.

FDS

Elite member
Why do you consider $5 expensive? When I started RC back in about 1989 servos for cars were $20 each.
A burger costs more than modern servos.
Buying a Banggood quad set up can certainly cost you vs using a proper quad seller like RDQ.

Stylze707

Why do you consider $5 expensive? When I started RC back in about 1989 servos for cars were $20 each.
A burger costs more than modern servos.
Buying a Banggood quad set up can certainly cost you vs using a proper quad seller like RDQ.
With poverty on set I try to get best bang for buck just how I was raised. 3 servos for $6usd is perfect. But $15 for 3 is insanely high

FDS

Elite member
I would have ripped your arm off for 3 servos for $15 as a kid. That’s insanely cheap. Often the very cheapest ones fail so quickly you don’t save money. I go for ones I know are not awful, but aren’t really expensive since my planes tend to get crashed a lot. I have had no trouble with the Hextronic or Tower cheap servos. I won’t waste money but quibbling over $3 by making a plane fly worse because you don’t want to pay for an extra servo is cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. There’s value for money then there’s pointless cost cutting.
If you bulk buy servos you can get fair quality at bargain price. You will always build more planes, once you get one flying. Foamboard models are still the cheapest possible way to get airborne, I haven’t found anything cheaper.

Stylze707

I would have ripped your arm off for 3 servos for $15 as a kid. That’s insanely cheap. Often the very cheapest ones fail so quickly you don’t save money. I go for ones I know are not awful, but aren’t really expensive since my planes tend to get crashed a lot. I have had no trouble with the Hextronic or Tower cheap servos. I won’t waste money but quibbling over $3 by making a plane fly worse because you don’t want to pay for an extra servo is cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. There’s value for money then there’s pointless cost cutting.
If you bulk buy servos you can get fair quality at bargain price. You will always build more planes, once you get one flying. Foamboard models are still the cheapest possible way to get airborne, I haven’t found anything cheaper.
Oh ok, thanks I probably should just cough up a little more I learned my lesson with cheap china esc's for multi rotary. Sorry for all the hassle. Any recommendations for that 1808 motor and 6x4 prop for the mini corsair? Along with mah of 3s battery?

FDS

Elite member
I use the Hobbyking Plush 30A esc and battery depends on how fast you want to go and how heavy your build is. My Tiny Trainer was plenty fast enough on an 850mah 40c 2s, you can run an 800-850mah 3s if it’s tail heavy. 3s gives you more top end and is heavier. FT store lists an 850mah 3s for it. If you are using Dollar Tree FB or FT Speedbuild kit then go with 3s.
I run these on my SE5 and DR1.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-850mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-pack.html
This ESC has a 4A bec which will give you power to spare on 4 channels.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-plush-32-30a-speed-controller-w-bec.html