What FT swabable should i build first?

alidayvn

Hello all,
So i was contemplating building the FT speedster but have decided against it as i am not sure i like the slow flight characteristics. i basically wanted to know what you guys think would be the easiest more advance swappable?
Thanks!!

alan0043

Hello all,
So i was contemplating building the FT speedster but have decided against it as i am not sure i like the slow flight characteristics. i basically wanted to know what you guys think would be the easiest more advance swappable?
Thanks!!

Hi alidayvn,

You might want to think about building a simple scout. This plane can be a good starter plane and it also can do some advance flying. Put the ailerons on.

Good luck with your build,
Al

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have the old speedster and it is a great plane! I love it. Thing about the scout is that it doesn’t really use a true swappable power pod. If you’re OK with that, then the scout would be a great choice. Is this your first plane? If so, id probably reccomed a old speedster over the scout as it does slow down more than the scout, and if you stall, it recovers a lot faster than the scout. But that being said it can fly fast. I learned on it and it is really easy to fly. Just put a bbq skewer spar in the crease in the wing. Good luck!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I agree with @Headbang, just because or new friend is new to FT doesn't mean new to flying...

Any of the warbirds would be good options for all around fun. They are intermediate to advanced builds depending on the model. All can be docile to very maneuverable, and modified to really open up your higher end skill set. The Mig 3 is a really solid plane and will be a lot of fun to fly.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
easiest more advance swappable?
There's a loaded question! If it's easy, it's not advanced. ;)

I'm going to throw your question right back at you. What do you mean by "easy" and what do you mean by "advanced?" Do you want easy to build or easy to fly? Are you looking for a more complicated build, or something more challenging to fly?

Easy to build and fly, assuming one has already flown and has the basics down? Simple Scout, hands down. It is still the smoothest plane I have ever flown. I also outgrew it pretty quickly. It flies wonderfully. But that's it. If you just want to cruise around in the air, that's the bird for you.

How about the Mini Scout? Doesn't get much simpler to build, but it's really finicky about the build. It's gotta be right, or it just won't fly. Assuming the build is solid? That's a whole lot of fun in a little, tiny package! It's been made into a biplane, and there are a couple threads where we're just seeing how fast we can make it go. That little plane has amazing potential.

My Storch build has been put on hold, but I'm feeling the need to fly it more and more. Then there's the Spitfire!

Whootts! Not simple in any measure. But man, she is a blast to fly! I could go on and on.

What I'm asking is what do you WANT to fly, and what do you mean by easy and advanced?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice catch buzz, it is kinda confusing as to what's easy and what's advanced. The Spitfire would be a great plane to go with, It can be an easy to advanced plane to fly. Again any warbird really, even the Mustang.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If you want a war bird, can't go wrong with the Spitfire or Mig 3 from what I hear. If you want planes that are very simple to build but a bit more challenging than a trainer to fly, that have very good speed envelopes and gentle stall characteristics, try something from the original three pack. The Nutball and Flyer are a blast as far as RET, but if you want something a little more serious, the delta should be exciting.

MiniacRC

Hello all,
Thanks!!
The Flitetest sportster is HECK of a well flying plane. But if its too hard to build the Simple Storch is the way to go, foolproof to fly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just built the Sportster and maidened it 2 days ago...
I will say it is a solid airframe with great beginner to intermediate flying tendencies. I have only put 2 packs through it so far but it has the potential to be a really fun plane with camera mounts, bomb drops, streamer flights. And it can be super maneuverable as well. Just painted mine actually:
20191013_155543.jpg

alan0043

I will say it is a solid airframe with great beginner to intermediate flying tendencies. I have only put 2 packs through it so far but it has the potential to be a really fun plane with camera mounts, bomb drops, streamer flights. And it can be super maneuverable as well. Just painted mine actually:
View attachment 145435

What a cool paint scheme !!! That is one nice looking bird.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
How about the Mini Scout? Doesn't get much simpler to build, but it's really finicky about the build. It's gotta be right, or it just won't fly. Assuming the build is solid? That's a whole lot of fun in a little, tiny package! It's been made into a biplane, and there are a couple threads where we're just seeing how fast we can make it go. That little plane has amazing potential.
Wait - what??!! I flew my mini scout with a super floppy power pod and way overweight and she didn’t care one bit! 😉
The spitfire sure is fun

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wait - what??!! I flew my mini scout with a super floppy power pod and way overweight and she didn’t care one bit! 😉
The spitfire sure is fun
Yeah, I'm not sure where the line is drawn. My first one never flew. Hai-Lee had warned me that it was a finicky build, and something just wasn't right.

My second one was a SBK. Not only did it fly, I beat the heck out of that bird, and it still flew with all kinds of repairs. I've since built a few more from scratch that flew just fine. I think @Hai-Lee was right about it. I just haven't been able to put my finger on what I did wrong the first time around. Something wasn't right, and it just wouldn't fly.

keepitup

View attachment 145435
Gorgeous. More money next pay day. LMAO

Scary

Hello all,
Thanks!!
Welcome, I am also a new member .my first ft build was the simple scout very stable flyer .been flying a few years but a nervous flyer had many calm flights with it . good luck and maiden with the one you choose