What happened for my battery?

kareez

Hi. My Mustang airplane crashed and after Crash my battery not work.
When I want charge it the charger Show this message:
Battery check.
Low voltage.
What happened for my battery? Please look at video link:

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hi. My Mustang airplane crashed and after Crash my battery not work.
When I want charge it the charger Show this message:
Battery check.
Low voltage.
What happened for my battery? Please look at attached film.
Hi. Would be important to know which voltage is your battery, 1s, 2s, 3s ....
do u have a multimeter? maybe there is a dead cell in your battery. Or, in de best case and less probably it is just a broken wire.

kareez

Battery wire is healthy. I have an IMAX B6AC charger. How do I know if there is a dead cell in the battery?

Attachments

• Battery01.jpg
    Battery01.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
You need to use a cell checker that plugs into the Balance lead, they tell you the individual cell voltages. Some chargers can do that too but if yours is not reading the battery then it may be difficult.
212FCE15-7C03-4F28-A20A-EA2E4F75BDF9.jpeg

Mine looks like this, it wasn’t expensive.
The way you have that charger linked to the battery is also dangerous, you shouldn’t use crocodile clips, they can fall off and short the battery or charger which may cause a serious FIRE. Please use a proper XT60 connector with proper insulation over the wire join. DO NOT try to use that set up again.
Which charging mode are you using? If you are trying to balance charge and the cell voltage is below 3.3v then it will give you that warning. When you have fixed the charge lead so it won’t burn your house down, try using the charge only program, with the balance lead NOT plugged into the charger. If it still gives you low voltage then you can set it to Nimh Charge and give the battery a small boost on that setting, about 1min, which should enable you to run the lipo charge program or balance it.
If you ran it to below 3.3v in any of the cells then you have permanently damaged the pack.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Battery wire is healthy. I have an IMAX B6AC charger. How do I know if there is a dead cell in the battery?
Battery does not looks damaged or swollen. That is good.
Due to the blow there may be some unsoldered wire inside. Don't try to check it by pulling the wires, you might short them.
Get a multimeter or a lipo-battery checker like this one
voltagealarm2_1000x.jpg

and mensure your cells independently using the Balance lead of yout battery. Your Balance lead has 4 wires, try measuring the end wires with the multimeter first. It should give you some voltage. Otherwise, one of the cells is dead and it's interrupted by the current.
If this is the case, measure each pair of wires, as follows:
1 y 2, 2 y 3, 3 y 4
Each pair corresponds to a cell, if one or more of them does not give voltage, is that they are dead. or in the best case, some cable has been desoldered.
Once you have identified the dead or defective cells, it is at your own risk to open the package and carefully check the connections. I recommend that if you have no experience with electronics, you seek professional help. If something goes wrong, things can get very ugly.
Lipo batteries are something to be respected.

try at least to identify which cells are in trouble and come back here to preceed. ;)

Reactions: FDS

kareez

The way you have that charger linked to the battery is also dangerous, you shouldn’t use crocodile clips, they can fall off and short the battery or charger which may cause a serious FIRE. Please use a proper XT60 connector with proper insulation over the wire join. DO NOT try to use that set up again.
If you ran it to below 3.3v in any of the cells then you have permanently damaged the pack.

Thanks. I will definitely act as you said.
Fixed my battery issue
I found a solution to fix the charger and battery:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The first thing I would suggest is don’t use alligator clips to change your battery. You should use a proper connector, an XT60 in your case.

I could not tell from the video if the balance plug was connected or not. If you were using it, it’s possible one of pins is not properly seated to the charger. Try wiggling the plug and pushing on the individual wires. It’s also possible one of the balance plug wires has disconnected inside the battery. Gently tug on each of the wires to see if one has disconnected.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks. I will definitely act as you said.
Fixed my battery issue
I found a solution to fix the charger and battery:

That is not fixing the solution. On your charger when charging you should be able to read each cell to see what is happening and why the low voltage warning came up. There is possibly a problem with one of the cells and what you did was just mask the problem.

FDS

Elite member
This was also what I was trying to suggest. @Merv has said It clearer!
Just bypassing the charger low voltage alarm is OK to get the pack safe again IF you know what the underlying problem is.
Overdischarging the pack is bad news and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
@kareez I concur with @FDS and @Merv and @Wildthing.

Just being able to charge that lipo does not answer why your charger threw that error. It is possible your charger is trying to prevent a fire.

Are you aware of the danger of over discharging a lipo and what the bottom limit of a 3S lipo is?

Do you use a voltage alarm while flying to prevent over discharging of your lipo?

I apologize if you already know this, but over discharging a lipo will ruin it and can create a pretty extreme fire hazard.