What happened to cox gas motors? Out of business, fine, but do all other companies need to triple cost?

jolfstn74

I'm dating myself I realize, but when I first became interested in RC airplanes, it was possible to purchase the ubiquitous and cheap and reliable Cox .049 engine for close to $30! Yes, this was 30 years ago, but inflation hasn't gone up that much! Cox doesn't seem to be found unless attached to the word "Vintage" and OS and other engine companies start at $200 for airplane motors. Gone is the Cox EZ Bee with the .049 for $100 all in. are there cheap motors to be had? or does affordable now equate to electric? Geez, listen to me...."In my day..." I need to watch that. The other day this whippersnapper at 7-11 told me my cigarettes were to cost me $11. $11! Now as always, there is 15 CENTS of product in a pack of cigarettes, I told the lad that I began smoking and cigarettes cost a dollar. His face contorted and he asked "HOW OLD ARE YOU?" Due to substance abuse, overeating, sedinentary living, smoking I look 15 or so years younger than my 45 years. I did not channel WC fields and kick the boy in the ass, at least not this time.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I used to trash pick my .049s back in the 70's.... I was given a Texaco last year with the .049 not mounted and am converting it to electric. I could be persuaded to send the "spec" motor your way.

Cheers!
LitterBug

CraftyPilot

You can get newly made and refurbished engines and accessories from Cox International.
They bought a lot of old ones from Estes and make new parts in house and with small businesses in the area. A completely new engine goes for about 50-60$.

jolfstn74

Sometimes I forget my age, prequalifying my searches with "vintage" or "antique" even yields search results that tend to be specifically what I'm looking for. the 80s & 90s just don't feel THAT far away to me. I guess my perception of time isn't the guage for those things. ive checked out that site,it's precisely what I'm looking for! I love the "fox" engine house brand! Let me ask this,is an OS glow nitro engine of equivalent size that much better than a new out of the box Cox engine? Is it just inflation? Is it worth investing more than I spent on the plane in the power plant? That's sort of the way it is when building a real airplane, especially when performance is a factor. Financially, if in going to spend $300 that's going to be the finished product,not just one part. I can do the reanimated undead cox engine for $70 but not a new OS for$289, at least not now. Thank you for referring me to the site!