What High Temp glue sticks are the best for foam board?

earthquake

I am trying to get every thing ready to start my build on a "Tiny Trainer" from scratch and I was wondering what hot glue sticks work best with FB?
I am going to buy a Ad Tech Pro 200 gun, its a bit more then I want to spend but you know what they say "Cry Once", when it comes to tools I like to get the best I can afford.
I think it uses 7/16" or 12mm sticks, what are the best for FB? I am sure this ? has been asked before so I hope you don't mind me bringing it up again.
Thanks for any help.

Casey

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The glue stick diameter is actually determined by the glue gun itself. 7/16" and 12 mm sticks are pretty close in size to each other, but the Adtech Pro 200 specs say to use 1/2" diameter. 7/16" will probably work just fine, but that said, I have had issues with smaller diameter glue sticks in my Adtech Pro 80 - the sticks just seem to not grab very well and move properly through the glue gun. Most likely culprit that I can think of is the sticks not being a proper diameter.

I'm going to be ordering some new glue sticks from Amazon for a Maker Faire in June, and I think I'm going to try to get 1/2" diameter sticks, see if that makes a difference.

earthquake

I must be thinking of a different gun, thank you, I guess I need to research it better before I buy glue sticks for it.

Casey

jaredstrees

I second the gorilla glue sticks. Great product. I don't know if they'll work as well in the adtech gun. I had an adtech catch on fire. I'll never buy another. I got the dewalt glue gun. Been very happy with it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Any building I have done has been with the gorilla glue sticks. If you do your folds with normal glue proceedure then do a corner bead and wipe excess your joints with that glue it will out last the cockroaches in the appocolypse.

sprzout

Mentor
I second the gorilla glue sticks. Great product. I don't know if they'll work as well in the adtech gun. I had an adtech catch on fire. I'll never buy another. I got the dewalt glue gun. Been very happy with it.

I've got the Dewalt glue gun as well, haven't tried the Gorilla glue sticks with it yet, but thought about it. No issues with the gun? I don't want to muck up the Dewalt gun, because I like how well it works!

Brett_N

None of them if you live somewhere HOT! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've actually started using TiteBond "Quick and Thick" from Lowes. Titebond 2 works as well 2, but is a little thinner. Both are basically just wood glue.

Run the seam with the titebond, then a tiny dab of hot glue to hold it while it dries overnight. Way stronger and lighter than hot glue.

jaredstrees

I've got the Dewalt glue gun as well, haven't tried the Gorilla glue sticks with it yet, but thought about it. No issues with the gun? I don't want to muck up the Dewalt gun, because I like how well it works!
Sorry for the delay, Sir, been on vacation and am moving across the country! No issues at all with the gorilla sticks in the dewalt.

sprzout

Mentor
Sorry for the delay, Sir, been on vacation and am moving across the country! No issues at all with the gorilla sticks in the dewalt.

LOL no worries. :) Life happens to all of us. I figured you were just out flying! :)

jaredstrees

I figured you were just out flying!
I wish! I haven't gotten to fly for about a month now. I'll be at the new place on June 18th, so hope to be back to normal after that. Might get one more chance here in Florida before the move.

earthquake

I was at a Walmart today and they had a "Ad Tech Pro 80" High temp glue gun for $15, it even comes with a extra nozzle.
I picked one up to try it out, I also got a pack of "Gorilla Glue" sticks to try out as well. I was going to get the Pro 200 but it looks like this one will work just as good for me and it was about $30 cheaper by the time you figure in shipping.

Casey

sprzout

Mentor
I'll give a shout out to the Arrow brand...I haven't been able to find the Stanley brand of glue sticks here in Southern California, but I WAS able to find a 5 lb. box of the Arrow sticks for $19.99 at my local Home Depot. That 5 lb. box has probably 75 or so 10" glue sticks in it, and will last me for several years, vs. the $6 charge for the 12 sticks that I would get through the purchase of Stanley glue sticks. Would I consider the Stanleys? Sure, but I can't find them locally - in fact, it's VERY difficult for me to find full size, 10" glue sticks locally - either everyone has these little 4" glue sticks, or they have 6-8" glue sticks that only fit a mini glue gun. Unfortunately, the 4" glue sticks in my Dewalt gun kind of suck because if I have to run a long bead, I'm having to potentially add a stick to complete the bead of glue.

For me, for the price, the Arrow glue seems to work best. I haven't done a great comparison, but I know I like it better for the way it goes through my Dewalt glue gun vs. the Adtech glue sticks. Mine's less of a scientific review; it's just what I feel works best for me. :)

earthquake

I bought a bag of 24 AdTech glue sticks [10" sticks] at wall mart for $5.50 to try out, I bought some Gorilla Glue sticks and there OK but I want to try these and see if they are any good, they do say Made in USA believe it or not.

Casey

sprzout

Mentor
The Adtechs are ok, but nothing spectacular. I'm beginning to wonder about their quality control, though. I've had some that were really good, and others that were "meh"...It's like the batches changed formula or something. I'm not hating on them; they're just...Eh.