What hobby did you give up to get into flying?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There are too many factors of uncertainty for a blind challenge! We shall discuss tomorrow... (sorry to hijack the thread, peoples)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've been lazy about my coffee roasting (yep, another one I'm into!) I scored a really nice Nuova Simonelli commercial burr grinder for $50 off craigs list (the base is broken but the burrs are in great shape!) but my espresso machine is still a cheap thermoblock I picked up cheap when Linens and things went out of business. Been meaning to roast up some more but burned out the popper I'd been using.

I have to admit - I'm a little scared this thread could lead to me finding a few new hobbies :D

leadpipe58

Fishing,The price of a fishing tag is as much as a gallon of glow fuel.Buys a lot of fish.Besides you do not always catch A fish but i can always crash a plane..:applause:

RoyBro

Mentor
Building computers and servers. Playing with alternate operating systems, piecing together storage area networks and network attached storage units and such. Trying out virtual machines on VMware and Hyper - V. Just about anything to do with computers. I would fund the hobby by building tricked out gaming systems for college students spending their parent's money.

vk2dxn

I'm driving a 2008 Dodge 6.7 cummins. I'm rolling around in a 610hp 1100 or so torque pulling monster. It will do 12.8 in the 1/4 mile at a 105mph.

Nice run Ryan

I pushed ham radio aside for now so I can introduce my son to rc and get to spend some quality time. He is still a little young but he does love rc cars and planes. It's hard to juggle work, hobbies and family time...

Last edited:

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I collect hobbies. Expensive ones to boot. My wife hates it.

Luckily, many of them work hand in hand... for example

current list of hobbies
- RC flight
- Photography
- Cigars
- Firearms
- 3D printing
- Collecting Hammers

With this I can (and have) flown a plane with 3d printed parts while smoking a cigar, take pictures of it on the ground and my friends' planes in the air, when I irreparably crash one I take it to the range and riddle it with holes. If it's the electronics I'm blaming (because I could NEVER be at fault for a crash...) I smash them with a hammer.

Perfect marraige... and true story.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I kind of gave up triathlon training and competing for the RC Hobby. Or rather, the RC hobby replaced that when I lost interest in racing. I still love getting on my bike to ride out to a nice swimming hole. Just wish I could figure out how to safely pack a plane and ride out to some flying sites with all the gear.

Tactical Ex

I didn't think I would never give up playing, modding, creating plug-ins and tools for video games. That was my "hobby" for the last 10 years. I now find myself tinkering with my planes 90% of the time I would have devoted to video games. Looking back I cant believe how much RC has suppressed my desire for anything video game related.

bitogre

I gave up sleeping in on Saturday mornings (have to get a couple flights in before volunteering at church) and reduced how much TV I watch with my wife.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Well like most of you, I collect hobbies. I just gave up one that I'm not happy about. I built a mini bike and quickly found out where I'm at it's illegal to operate the bike on the streets so I had to pay $150 ticket. It put a sour taste in my mouth so I gave it up. IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

I also used to race go carts a little
391.jpg

I also used to play bass guitar for my church.
my guitar.jpg
It doesn't come out if it's case too much any more. :(

I have built my own computer thanks to the instruction form YouTube LOL. It was mainly so I could get in to playing the computer games they played like World of Warcraft and such.

But now my kids are getting older I am putting them though Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, so that takes a lot of my free time. My youngest is taking a real interest in the R/C hobby, so I might have a copilot!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Sadly I'm thinking of "giving up" this hobby, at least cutting back a lot. I have this project car that I really want to start working on and will hopefully be my focus this year. I want it as a cheap daily driver, so... the sooner it gets done the better. My current daily driver has 188,888 miles on it. But it's a Jeep Wrangler, so it's got about 100,000 miles left in it. lol.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I too am cutting back... On fixed wing craft. I just got really complacent and kind of bored with fixed wing. :(

Also, at college there isn't much space, so a tricopter was my best bet.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Well, I had been cutting back on things for a while to try and move my rc hobby forward. Now I've actually given some up.

I design and build boats, but it's an expensive hobby and I'm poor so I design, build one and sell the rights to the design to fund the very design itself, all the while trying to keep the original build out of the sale. In the end that's 50 \ 50 and the ones I don't lose, I have to sell to fund the next idea. Officially quit. Next boat will take time for lack of funds, but it's staying home.

I'm giving up motorcycle work and collecting any more, but not riding. I've been buying, receiving or trading for old junk bikes that I fix up, for fun, 2 out of 3 get sold so I can keep one. I have way too many and have much less than I want. Troube is, I'm not so young and I'm out of room. Also looking to sell our place and move to a much smaller house somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

I do custom gunsmithing and I'm not giving that one up. I'm very selective of my projects and don't take on many as it is. I'm also ridiculously overpriced and that helps keep the hassle down. There is good money in it, but Uncle Sam gets the larger portion by far.

I also travel a little each year and assist with full scale restoration and repair on the client's dime. No money here, just a hobby, but it costs me nothing and I do love every minute and it brings about opportunities i would otherwise never know. It's all privately owned and funded, but it's big as life to me. Not much of my year goes into this hobby so it's not a big investment and rc has always been welcomed.

This will be my last season of racing. It 'was' inexpensive and fun. It's still fun, but less so and beginning to get expensive now that big money is getting into it. It's just off road rally, no big screen event or anything, but where there's fun competition, there will soon be spoiled sports. They're even amending the 1100 investment rule for next season. The hobby has been bought, but not transferred yet. I don't plan for my 86 volvo 744+tic to survive these last 2 races. Ok, yes, I'm also the oldest racer and let's be honest, it's time.

Hopefully I'll have more time to fish :)

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I gave up Model Railroading. I got about $500 worth of locomotives before discovering this hobby. Actually before I got seriously into RC airplanes and multirotors, I had a like 4 cheap helicopters from air hogs (lame, I know). Then I was into model rocketry for a summer. Just realized I've been into making smaller versions of cool things for a while now :)

I got a 3 channel coaxial heli for christmas that started all this trouble. I didn't really give up a hobby. I used to surf and snowboard all the time when I lived in California that was pretty much my hobby. Since I got out of the army and have been in texas I've been looking for something since there aren't any waves or mountains. I bought a little ski boat and we spend lots of time at the lake during the summer but now I've been enjoying building planes at home and talking time out to fly. the dam at the lake is supposed to be about the only place here in the metroplex that you can slope soar (once again, no mountains in texas) I'm looking forward to giving that a shot every time I watch a video it looks so cool!

-Jes

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Sadly I'm thinking of "giving up" this hobby, at least cutting back a lot. I have this project car that I really want to start working on and will hopefully be my focus this year. I want it as a cheap daily driver, so... the sooner it gets done the better. My current daily driver has 188,888 miles on it. But it's a Jeep Wrangler, so it's got about 100,000 miles left in it. lol.

Or I gave up the project car and kept at this hobby. Life doesn't go as planned.

Hrm. Well, my video and roleplaying game time seems to be greatly diminishing.

One of the main reasons for that, I think, is just the attitude of the people I see in this hobby. Even outside of flitetest, it's just pretty positive in comparison to the communities I see around video games and roleplaying games.