What hobby did you give up to get into flying?

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Shooting is my other hobby. So is automotive tinkering (repairing, modifying, customizing cars or recently my motorcycle). Haven't had time to go all the way out to the range to shoot so the $ that would be spent on ammo has been spent on RC gear.

I also enjoy shooting, long range .22 at that. (100 yards or more) Lots of fun!:cool:

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I also enjoy shooting, long range .22 at that. (100 yards or more) Lots of fun!:cool:

For what .22LR is going for these days I've been shooting a good bit of 7.62x39mm when I do get a chance to go. I bought in bulk at $0.22/rd or so. Much more fun than .22LR as well although I miss the days where I could get bricks of .22LR for $0.02/rd. Now THAT made for a fun day at the range! Lol.

Christopher14

For what .22LR is going for these days I've been shooting a good bit of 7.62x39mm when I do get a chance to go. I bought in bulk at $0.22/rd or so. Much more fun than .22LR as well although I miss the days where I could get bricks of .22LR for $0.02/rd. Now THAT made for a fun day at the range! Lol.

I have only fired .22 Cal. rifles, pistols, and a 12g shotgun. The 12g was interesting after firing only .22s for ten years.:black_eyed: I am going to try a .308 and a .45 ACP soon though.:cool:

If you get yourself a Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9X35 variable power scope it is a lot of fun doing the longer ranges.:D

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I don't know if it qualifies as a hobby, but I've barely touched my drum kit in the past year. :(

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Well, let's see..shooting to bass playing to sim racing to rc helis to rc aircraft. I still do all except the heli's, but Sim racing is still number 1, right now rc airplanes is #2, shooting is #3, and even though i still pick up a guitar a couple times a week, it's #4. This is the first year in memory I have not bought my duck licenses...but the real #1...always...will be fishing.

BUT! Shooting is making a comeback. I haven't pulled out the 50cal recently because I went small. The .22 with a suppressor is to much fun.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I sold my sim racing setup to buy my drum kit. What sim(s) are you running?

iRacing. I've been doing it for years. Don't have an elaborate set up, no triple screens, DFGT wheels and pedals, and was lucky enough to win a gtx580 and 3d led monitor a couple years ago by running Nvidia logos on the cars.

SnowRocker88

I have only fired .22 Cal. rifles, pistols, and a 12g shotgun. The 12g was interesting after firing only .22s for ten years.:black_eyed: I am going to try a .308 and a .45 ACP soon though.:cool:

If you get yourself a Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9X35 variable power scope it is a lot of fun doing the longer ranges.:D
My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22. Still have it and still have a scope for it. It is fun. I used to take it when we shot clay pigeons at the local range. If they spent their two shells and still missed I'd try, usually successfully, to tag it with the Ruger. Was a load of fun. Just be careful, high trajectory shots are dangerous. We had a 75ft tall berm behind us and I'd tag it once it fell under the top of it.

Well, let's see..shooting to bass playing to sim racing to rc helis to rc aircraft. I still do all except the heli's, but Sim racing is still number 1, right now rc airplanes is #2, shooting is #3, and even though i still pick up a guitar a couple times a week, it's #4. This is the first year in memory I have not bought my duck licenses...but the real #1...always...will be fishing.

BUT! Shooting is making a comeback. I haven't pulled out the 50cal recently because I went small. The .22 with a suppressor is to much fun.
I'm assuming you mean a 50 BMG not 50 A&E. That's a lot of fun. Don't think I'd own one tho as ammo is usually $5/rd on the low end.

Friend has a Ruger 10/22 with an integral suppressor. If you hold the action closed it sounds like a BB gun. Use subsonic ammo and it sounds like someone spitting. The MOST fun I've had with suppressors is a wet can on a .45ACP 1911. Sounds like a video game. SUPER quiet. All you hear is the action and the impact! Definitely on the "must own one day" list. Maybe on a Glock tho since I have a 1911 and it certainly wont be on it. lol

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Yes, SnowRocker..I did mean 50 BMG. When I got into the 50 game, rounds were $3-$4 each. Reloading makes it cheaper, but not a whole lot.

As for suppressors, I have a friend (and everyone needs a friend like this!) who had quite a few class3 items. My favorites were the MP5 suppressed, HK USP with a wet can (movie quiet and the most accurate 45 i have ever shot...weighs A TON) and a remington 700 308 suppressed with subsonic ammo. I did some of his reloading until he moved away.

The 22 suppressor on a bolt gun is just awesome though, I used a savage Mark II BTV and with match ammo, you can put 10 rounds into a dime at 50 yards with out much effort.

The most fun however, was putting my 50Beowulf upper on his m16....that was fun!

A video of the 50..

LooseBruce

Power Parachute Pilot

Hi Flyers,
I didn't give up flying my 2 place Powered Parachute to fly RC. I gave it up for health reasons. Flying RC is what I do to make up for it. Building is just as much fun as flying these RC planes P9040010.JPG P9040011.JPG Our Powered Parachute is the one where you can only see part of it. we are taking pictures of our friends flying in the other one.The other picture shows what a meet is like. Lots of fun flyin!
LooseBruce

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
iRacing. I've been doing it for years. Don't have an elaborate set up, no triple screens, DFGT wheels and pedals, and was lucky enough to win a gtx580 and 3d led monitor a couple years ago by running Nvidia logos on the cars.

I think my stats are still up there. I hope to get back into it someday when my kids are older and I have more time.

SnowRocker88

The most fun however, was putting my 50Beowulf upper on his m16....that was fun!

WOW!! That sounds both fun and EXPENSIVE! Haha

Yea, my friend is the same way. I've shot a 50 BMG 3 or 4 times now. I've shot a FA MP5 and Thompson. I've shot an M1 Garand in 30-06 and .308 and an M1a (which is now my favorite rifle) all of which are his competition rifles and are works of art. My only fun toy is an AR15 chambered in 7.62x39mm. The rest is run-of-the-mill. Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500a and a ParaOrdinance LDA 45ACP (a little more exciting but still nothing too exotic).

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've shot a 50 BMG 3 or 4 times now. I've shot a FA MP5 and Thompson. I've shot an M1 Garand in 30-06 and .308 and an M1a (which is now my favorite rifle) all of which are his competition rifles and are works of art. My only fun toy is an AR15 chambered in 7.62x39mm. The rest is run-of-the-mill. Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500a and a ParaOrdinance LDA 45ACP (a little more exciting but still nothing too exotic).

This thread just got very 'Murican.

SnowRocker88

Looks like you have some fun on the range.:D

Well, we don't get to go as often these days so when we do we usually go big. Lol. We used to have tanerite days where we'd make explosive targets too. That gets fun! Had days where we would play with incendiary rounds too. A 50 BMG incendiary will set a car on fire pretty darn quick. Lol

Christopher14

Well, we don't get to go as often these days so when we do we usually go big. Lol. We used to have tanerite days where we'd make explosive targets too. That gets fun! Had days where we would play with incendiary rounds too. A 50 BMG incendiary will set a car on fire pretty darn quick. Lol

Tanerite is a nice thing isn't it? A friend of mine decided to get rid of his old computer and he used tanerite to get rid of it. It disappeared.:D

tward

I gave up my firearms, most of them any how. I liked the guns so well I took a four year apprenticeship to be able to work on them. I kept a couple just in case. Now it is quads and tri- copters. I get to fly in a lot more places than I could shoot. Still haven't spent as much on flying as I have on guns, just give me a little more time.:cool: