What is a BDF?

IcedStorm777

I know what an EDF is but can't find out what a BDF is. Flitetest has said they are going to come out with some designs using them and i know some other aircraft use them but just don't know what they are/what the difference between them and an EDF is. Thanks!

mayan

Legendary member
I know what an EDF is but can't find out what a BDF is. Flitetest has said they are going to come out with some designs using them and i know some other aircraft use them but just don't know what they are/what the difference between them and an EDF is. Thanks!
It’s part of what Ben used on one of his latest builds. It a motor connected to a 3D printed part acting as an EDF.

chris398mx

Master member
Here is one I designed based on pictures of Ben Harber's BDF. I flew it this morning for the first time. It went pretty well for the the maiden. Some small tweaks to the air-frame and it should do quite well. I am estimating about 7 minute flight times on a 1300 4S battery.
4 inch BDF prototype.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
got an .stl file you want to share?

thanks,

me :cool:

There are left hand and right hand as well as 16x16 and 16x19 mounting patterns. Let me know if you have more questions.

Attachments

• EDF 4 inch 16x16 LH.stl
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF 4 inch 16x16 RH.stl
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF inlet flange.stl
    985.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF-4-16 x19 LH.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EDF-4-16 x19 RH.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

chris398mx

Master member
what are you printing in (PLA, PETG, ABS), and what are your recommended settings?

i have 1 other thing printing now but would love to get this going over night.

thanks,

me :cool:

This is a pretty thin wall model. so i print it basically solid.
PETG
0.2mm layer height
0.4mm nozzle
235 nozzle
70 bed temp

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Here's a 2" / 50mm BDF I did a couple years ago for a DYS 1102 10,000kv motor on my OctoUFO. . I'm planning on throwing this one and a thrust tube on my TinyTrainer for giggles.... I attached a link to Thingiverse below. The .scad file is there if you would like to modify parameters for other motors, props.
2_-50mm-BDF.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Link to Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4113432

Last edited: