What is a first RC radio to buy?

redneck84

Hey all..... like i said i want to buy my first remote, but i have no idea. do you think flite test should run with a quick video tip on what kind of radio their are and what people should look for when they make up their mind. What is a Great first RC radio to buy?

By the way Josh and Josh you guys do a great show i have watched almost every show and i have learned a few things so far thank you.

redneck84

What do you plan to fly?

Thurmond

I want to Fly fix wing and multi roter. but i want to start off with the MICRO QUAD as my first aircraft.
what about the FS-TH9x 8 Channel is this a nice buy as a first remote?

Last edited:

earthsciteach

You definitely want a programmable radio, in that case.
Buy this radio, TODAY IF POSSIBLE! THis price can't be beat! And, they are hard as hell to find in stock. This is the EXACT same radio as the Turnigy 9x. Best value out there! Email customer support with any questions. Parke will be a great resource for you!
http://parkeflyer.com/transmitters/fs-th9x.html

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
welcome to the forum !!

first of all, YOU NEED A TRANSMITTER !!!

remote is something that looks like this:
434358.jpg

;);););););););););)

Get that one Teach pointed ! best cost x benefit and as he said is HARD TO FIND IN STOCK !! get it while you can !

Turnigy 9XR - available next month. DSM2/DSMX module. Inbuilt programmer to make flashing firmware to er9X easy. Cost around $90. More powerful than DX6i or DX7 with the er9x firmware.

earthsciteach

The DIY kit upgrades the TX to a level beyond an already competitive radio. It puts it in class with radios that are WAAAAY more expensive (JR, Futaba). It also adds a backlight and some aesthetic upgrades.

Now, before I make myself sound too much like a schill for Parkeflyer, I am merely a very happy customer. I bought the stock Turnigy 9x about a year and a half ago (this is the same radio as the link I posted, but branded under a different name), then sent it to Parkeflyer for an upgrade. The capability of my radio is far above what I had before. That being said, it was already a very capable TX in its stock configuration.

The DIY kit gives you what Parke did for mine + more. But, I don't think you need to worry about that at this point in your RC hobby. You will be quite happy with the stock FlySky. While I don't fly multi-rotors, I am certain it will handle them just fine.

However, if you were to upgrade to the er9x firmware (DIY kit), you won't have to relearn your TX, as I am doing now. And if you are interested in going into fpv, you might consider purchasing the Frsky Module. It is telemetry capable and supposedly has one of the best, if not THE best reliability of any system on the market.

This is A LOT of info to digest when getting into the hobby. You don't need anything above the base FlySky, at this point. If you email Parkeflyers customer support and tell them where you are at and what you are interested in, they will give you an honest response. Case in point: I broke the antenna wire on my tx this week, less than one week from receiving it back from Parkeflyer, and Thomas's advice was to just find any 2.4 GHz antenna in lieu of purchasing a new module from him. They really are trustworthy guys.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
+1 on Parke's Company, He upgraded my Turnigy 9X to er9X firmware and made a low cost radio rival MUCH more costly radios. It is a great radio to start with and grow with as well since it has the support of a large open source community when upgraded. Additionally receivers for it are dirt cheap at $9 or so considering a Futaba receiver (for a 7C Futaba radio) is about $90.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Tritium

welcome to the forum !!

first of all, YOU NEED A TRANSMITTER !!!

remote is something that looks like this:
434358.jpg

;);););););););););)

Get that one Teach pointed ! best cost x benefit and as he said is HARD TO FIND IN STOCK !! get it while you can !

Those demon remotes crash my Syma helicopter every time my wife tries to change the volume of the TV when I am flying anywhere nearby. :(

Thurmond

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
If you're not scared of soldering, the stock 9x can be upgraded to ER9x for about $5 using an AVR programmer from ebay or Hobbyking. I was quite apprehensive, but encouraged by how easy bmsweb found it. I bit the bullet and kicked myself for being worried. I upgraded my tx, my wife's and one for a mate, all using the same programmer. The thing that was most difficult was figuring out how to get Windows 7 to install the correct drivers for the programmer!

The Smartipants board that comes with the upgrade kit is simply a circuit board that, among other things, has connectors that touch the solder pads so you don't need to solder anything to re-flash.

Like the others, I'm confident that my tx is competitive with ANY other 8 channel radio.

earthsciteach

Those demon remotes crash my Syma helicopter every time my wife tries to change the volume of the TV when I am flying anywhere nearby. :(

Mine always crashes when I fly in front of the tv, too. I love to harass my two labradors with it. That's why the ornery one chewed up the nose of mine when I left it within his reach. :black_eyed:

Tritium

Mine always crashes when I fly in front of the tv, too. I love to harass my two labradors with it. That's why the ornery one chewed up the nose of mine when I left it within his reach. :black_eyed:

In the wintertime my wood stove blinds it as well!

Thurmond