What is everyone's opinion of the new FT radial motor?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Personally I don't see the appeal. I have nothing wrong with flite test stuff but for a company that focuses on affordable rc flying these motors sure are expensive. I don't see what the problem is with the current motors they are using. Anyone else?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Regardless of the title below my avatar, I am completely new and know nothing. I just post a lot of stuff as I'm learning this awesome hobby. What do you mean by "radial motor?" If you mean that the outside spins around the inside, that's because it's a brushless motor and they are more efficient. No brushes to wear out, there are lots of little magnets that make it work. Pretty ingenious, really. They seem to weigh a lot less, too.

I recently received my first brushless motor in the mail, and when I give it a spin with my fingers, it just stopped. All those magnets. For me it was really weird. I was so used to spinning a brushed motor to see how good the bearings were. These things are a completely different animal. Steve Austin would be proud.

If that's not what you mean by your question, then please clarify. :)

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Regardless of the title below my avatar, I am completely new and know nothing. I just post a lot of stuff as I'm learning this awesome hobby. What do you mean by "radial motor?" If you mean that the outside spins around the inside, that's because it's a brushless motor and they are more efficient. No brushes to wear out, there are lots of little magnets that make it work. Pretty ingenious, really. They seem to weigh a lot less, too.

I recently received my first brushless motor in the mail, and when I give it a spin with my fingers, it just stopped. All those magnets. For me it was really weird. I was so used to spinning a brushed motor to see how good the bearings were. These things are a completely different animal. Steve Austin would be proud.

If that's not what you mean by your question, then please clarify. :)
No I mean they just released a new series of brushless motors called “radial motors” because of their cosmetics

Robyle3

I think that what’s happening is that the ft crew is large enough now, and the buisness good enough to start carrying more specialized products. The “get started” core has been almost perfected in the affordable power-packs and abundance of free plans and build videos. There isnt any reason to hold back from entering the hobby. The radials are just for people who are looking to put a little more soul into their planes.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Please ya'll share what you've found. I went through the links to get to the A Pack I'm so excited about having and it hasn't changed. What motor are ya'll talking about?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Compared to the average motor at HK or Banggood, yeah, the new radials are pricey. Performance and quality is hopefully better -- they are at least designed to be that -- but the kicker is the warranty.

You break it, FT replaces it.

It's one thing to give that warranty to something marketed to pros who avoid crashes like a plague and priced several multiples above it's competitors, but a modest price bump to novice pilots who probably should be buying props by the dozen? That puts a strong onus on FT to build a better-than-the-average motor, and frankly, I've been impressed with the build. Hollow titanium shafts you WON'T bend. Threaded shaft that doesn't need a prop adapter. Modern magnet/stator design for better power transfer. Better cooling. Better motor assembly. These are far more than cosmetic improvements.

In any case, whether you value it or not, any purchase at the store supports the show. FT takes great effort to make the products in the store worth what we pay, but none of the products are the rock-bottom price. keep in mind what the store and show are here for. The end goal is not a show that is fancy marketing for the store hocking cheap wares -- seriously, who complains if they miss an episode of HK's channel?!? -- but instead the store funds the show that builds up the individuals and community. Cutting every corner to be the low price leader rarely supports that end, and is a risky strategy in this marketplace. Bringing something more robust even when it costs a bit more is better in the long-run.

jamboree1

A lot of win here if you ask me, maybe double the price but you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind the motors a lot of people buy from China and the slow boat will soon see a drastic increase of shipping fees.

Tjhochha

Compared to the average motor at HK or Banggood, yeah, the new radials are pricey. Performance and quality is hopefully better -- they are at least designed to be that -- but the kicker is the warranty.

You break it, FT replaces it.

It's one thing to give that warranty to something marketed to pros who avoid crashes like a plague and priced several multiples above it's competitors, but a modest price bump to novice pilots who probably should be buying props by the dozen? That puts a strong onus on FT to build a better-than-the-average motor, and frankly, I've been impressed with the build. Hollow titanium shafts you WON'T bend. Threaded shaft that doesn't need a prop adapter. Modern magnet/stator design for better power transfer. Better cooling. Better motor assembly. These are far more than cosmetic improvements.

In any case, whether you value it or not, any purchase at the store supports the show. FT takes great effort to make the products in the store worth what we pay, but none of the products are the rock-bottom price. keep in mind what the store and show are here for. The end goal is not a show that is fancy marketing for the store hocking cheap wares -- seriously, who complains if they miss an episode of HK's channel?!? -- but instead the store funds the show that builds up the individuals and community. Cutting every corner to be the low price leader rarely supports that end, and is a risky strategy in this marketplace. Bringing something more robust even when it costs a bit more is better in the long-run.
I feel the same way, I’ve done a little shopping around to see if I can find better prices on some of the items, but for the most part, the FT store was comperable to many of the prices I was seeing elsewhere. I’ve also grown wary of online shopping and eBay. I’ve been screwed over one too many times, I have full faith that FT will send exactly what I ordered or make it right.
Though I am impatiently waiting for the twin C power pack that I ordered Monday.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
As I say so often, I know nothing. But WOW! I've read through the link provided by Robyle3, and Craftydan's take on it. Improvement on an existing design is still improvement.

I don't believe all the marketing speak of "we designed it." More likely there were lots of meetings and the end result was "I'd like it to do this and it be like that. Can you make that?" Somebody said yes.

PoorManRC

Master member
I just hope it doesn't mean that they're going to start diminishing the affordable items, because they begin to enjoy their profits too much.......

I've seen it several times before in other areas of the Hobby. :oops::(

Robyle3

A lot of win here if you ask me, maybe double the price but you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind the motors a lot of people buy from China and the slow boat will soon see a drastic increase of shipping fees.

I will gladly pay 10-20$ extra shipping if it means i dont have to deal with UPS.

I just hope it doesn't mean that they're going to start diminishing the affordable items, because they begin to enjoy their profits too much.......

I've seen it several times before in other areas of the Hobby. :oops::(
I understand the concern, although I think this is standard business diversification at work. I think just like they want to catch the early adopter demographic with the YouTube membership, now they're gaining traction in the higher end market of motors. Not to mention the great warranty! IMO this is another way of leveling the playing field in this hobby, offering access to better and better products as people grow in the hobby.

Not to mention, this forum is a powerful feedback tool. This is the first platform I've seen where if the community expresses a concern the company actually cares enough to answer and explain its motives.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I've been in the hobby for just over a year now (because of flite fest) I started out with a twin "F" pack and bought a twin "C" for my legacy (at FF no less) other than that I have been running cheaper electronics from China.

Now that I've been in awhile I am not crashing nearly as much and can appreciate that quality can (and does) make a difference.

In the beginning I didn't mind a crappy $5 motor 'cause I was probably going to nose her in anyway...
Now, I am looking to update some of my electronics for builds that I expect to last longer than three trips to the field.

Long story short, I like the new radials and will probably pick up a few.
If for no other reason than to support the guys who make this wonderful community possible.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Besides this was only arround a 10 dollar price increase for a motor that (if it holds up to what they claim) is a major improvement over the motors that used to be in the power pack a, b and f.

Yes, the question now is, will china start picking up their end or will there be an opportunity for U.S. based companies to start selling motors made in the USA.