What is everyone's opinion of the new FT radial motor?

Vimana89

Legendary member
My Radial 1806's have been having overheating problems, probably putting them on larger and more demanding airframes than they can handle. I'll be looking into it more. I replaced one with a 2205 Radial on a yank and bank slender delta and love it. With modest 5x4x6 props it still delivers a plenty of thrust, but very quiet. This plane no longer overheats and instead of being anemic like it once was, it has a bit of power to spare. I like the look, fit, and finish of these motors for sure, they are gorgeous, but I don't have as much hard info no how they compare as some of you. My problems with the 1806's are likely my bad for using them in the wrong applications, so the jury is out on how I feel about those, but I'm definitely happy with the 2205.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Did a quick test with a 9 x 6.5 x 3-blade on the Radial C-pack on 3S:

Thrust: 1245g
RPM: 8700
Voltage: 11.0V (used an older 3S so the voltage sagged a little)
Current: 29A

epsilon

Anyone know where to find the documentation on these motors??? one of mine came with the speedbrake on and i need to shut that off. The typical, max throttle on startup doesn't appear to access the programming...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Overheating problems I had with my 1806's was, as I guessed, my bad. I was over propping and running them on airframes that were a bit large and heavy for the motor size. I have tried the 1806 radial on an appropriate setup and it has tons of power to spare and runs cool as a cucumber.

eeck62

Epsilon,
The speed brake is programmed in the speed control. The motor does whatever the speed control tells it to. What ESC are you using, did it have documentation with it? That will tell you how to change the programming.

epsilon

Epsilon,
The speed brake is programmed in the speed control. The motor does whatever the speed control tells it to. What ESC are you using, did it have documentation with it? That will tell you how to change the programming.
Ha, as I was submitting that I momentarily questioned myself thinking wait, I don't think there's any "brain's" in a motor. It's a hobby king esc. Should be able to find it now that I'm looking in the right place!

Headbang

Master member
In the next few days I will be running tests with different props using a watt/amp meter and a temp gun. Will do 3s and 4s. First impressions is the new twin c pack is more complete, even comes with a xt60 Y cable assembly!
20190806_190158.jpg 20190806_190303.jpg 20190806_190354.jpg

nschmoker

Hmmm, 2218 after nose first crash into fairly soft dirt. Notice the hollow shaft. This escaped my initial inspection of this motor. Somewhat surprised. We will test how good the warranty is. Very little damage to the balsa plane as well.

Attachments

• 20191007_130959.jpg
    20191007_130959.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191007_130834.jpg
    20191007_130834.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 0

Mad_Mechanic

That is interesting and somewhat concerning. I can see doing that to save a little weight, but looking at how thin the metal material is at the base of the threads, that is definitely a weak spot.

nschmoker

Update to the broken shaft and how good the warranty is. The warranty appears to be fantastic as a new motor in in the mail after going into the store and a brief chat session with Justin. I am very pleased with the process. Still surprised about the hollow shaft though. Only 20 minutes later after my initial post

chris398mx

Master member
In the next few days I will be running tests with different props using a watt/amp meter and a temp gun. Will do 3s and 4s. First impressions is the new twin c pack is more complete, even comes with a xt60 Y cable assembly!
View attachment 138335 View attachment 138336 View attachment 138337
Please do, i have the same Twin Radial C pack on 4S with the recommended prop from flitetest 10x45 on my plane and i think it is running way to hot. This will be a great tool for all who buy these new motors.

moret

Please do, i have the same Twin Radial C pack on 4S with the recommended prop from flitetest 10x45 on my plane and i think it is running way to hot. This will be a great tool for all who buy these new motors.

I was using a Radial C pack on 4S and had to go to a 9X4.5 prop and a 45 amp ESC. A 10X4.5 got the motor to hot to touch.

Headbang

Master member
I found a 9x6 on 4s to be perfect. Not hot, but warm motor. Any bigger pitch was tok much, smaller was wasting potential

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Ive had similar issues to you @nschmoker I bent a shaft on one of the 2218Bs in a hard impact that honestly was my own fault which I shrugged off and moved on and bought another considering the X brace was even bent there was so much energy. However I recently had a 2218B get ejected from a Versa wing that folded in the air and even though the motor just separated and fell to the ground I unfortunately found a snapped motor shaft. I emailed the support team if they sell replacement bells so I could just fix the both of them and haven’t gotten a response yet (its been like a week). I think Ill try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• 46D955FE-1C44-49C7-9BC8-610DFE728F4D.jpeg
    46D955FE-1C44-49C7-9BC8-610DFE728F4D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 27957C3F-A6BA-44BD-846A-92272B0C0B59.jpeg
    27957C3F-A6BA-44BD-846A-92272B0C0B59.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

shadeyB

Legendary member
View attachment 138335 View attachment 138336 View attachment 138337
How’s these tests coming along

I too am finding the Cpack running recommended 10x4.5 on 4s is leaving the motor Hot and ESC is heating up too, this is on the MS Spitfire all recommended
Taking out the MS P51_D today will see any different, same set up

Headbang

Master member
How’s these tests coming along

I too am finding the Cpack running recommended 10x4.5 on 4s is leaving the motor Hot and ESC is heating up too, this is on the MS Spitfire all recommended
Taking out the MS P51_D today will see any different, same set up
I did the tests, do not have the data handy. But I can say a 9x6 apc prop is perfect on 4s for a radial c pack motor. On the old c pack motor the 10x4.5 was too big even for 3s, on the new radial the 10x4.5 is about perfect for 3s.
For the war birds 4s with a 9x6 prop makes a good combo. Personally I find the big prop tractor setup to be lacking in the speed department. On the other hand, 3s with a 9x6 is lighter and has plenty of power, it has less draw and will last longer allowing you to use a even lighter battery, but will not cut the winds as well. In the end it comes down to flying style and preference.

Last edited: