What is it about the Cub?

saute

gotta ask...Ive been lurking about the R/C world since the eighties ( finally started flying about 3 years ago) and I just gotta know: What is it about the Cub that makes everyone want to make/buy them? I get that they were a popular civil aircraft and all, but....dang.....do we really need eleventeen of them?

Chuppster

gotta ask...Ive been lurking about the R/C world since the eighties ( finally started flying about 3 years ago) and I just gotta know: What is it about the Cub that makes everyone want to make/buy them? I get that they were a popular civil aircraft and all, but....dang.....do we really need eleventeen of them?

Well, I have two and they are both a lot of fun to fly. I do think they are over-modeled though.

Bricks

Master member
Me personally I do not care for Cubs to me they are not much fun to fly, the good thing is it will help teach to use rudder.

evranch

I'm not a big Cub fan myself. I think they are popular because it's really easy to make something that looks like a Cub, and the flight characteristics make a tame trainer. As such just about everyone's first RC plane was some sort of Cub. They are a pretty realistic scale flyer, like Bricks says you actually need to use the rudder to make them track well and they fly well with a wimpy motor.

As a taildragger they steer easily with rudder on the ground, and don't need a smooth surface for a nosewheel to track on. You don't see many 172 RC trainers despite them being the most popular trainer in general aviation, probably because there would be a lot of smashed nose gear out there.

quorneng

Master member
If you are in the UK then choice would be an Auster but the reason is the same - high wing, tail dragger and easy to build 'something like'.

4U2NVME

Easy second or third plane to learn on.. almost everybody starts learning to ride a bike with training wheels... the cub is like your first bike .. then when you are older you want that bike again