What is Kwad Share?

Mr Steele

Hi My name is Steele Davis aka "Mr Steele," I would like to share my idea with you.

Kwad Share a nonprofit organization developed to recycle equipment and knowledge to help grow the FPV community.

The FPV industry develops new products very rapidly thus new gear is constantly coming out. With all of these new products hitting the market, pilots are constantly upgrading, shifting out their "old" gear and replacing with the latest and greatest. This often just means that some shiny new product has caught their eye and they swapped out a perfectly working piece of gear for this new piece. Usually resulting in the "old" gear being set aside for a backup build or to never be flown again. This constant movement in the industry not only allows for extremely rapid growth but also opens up a unique opportunity for generous people to hand down their "old" otherwise perfectly working gear to less fortunate pilots. This gifting will providing less of a barrier to entry for new pilots and also allow lesser income individuals to get in the air and stay there.

So how does all of this work? Do I just make and account and then all of the sudden I'm neck deep in gear?
well.. not exactly

I will now attempt to explain how I see this working.

1.) Make an Account on Kwad Share
2.) Create a build log thread of you own for a specific project you with to build.
3.) State in your build log which items you will need to complete the project.

Here's where it gets tricky. Because this is a vision and it hasn't actually been done before to my knowledge (we are open to suggestions) There will be two types of Kwad Share members in the beginning, Donators and Receivers. There must be a receiver to request an item to be donated, but there also must be a donator with the items requested to fulfill the request.

4.) Requesting a product by creating a thread within the equipment subcategory i.e. FPV cam/motors/VTX
5.) Once a donator has contacted the receiver there will be a personal transition where the donator ships the items to the receiver.
6.) Once the receiver gets the product they are to post pictures and build log updates in their build log to show that they are actually benefiting from the donations from others attained from the Kwad Share Program.

That's really it. There are a lot quirks and bugs I'm sure we will all work through as a group, but the main idea behind all of this is to help join people together by the kindness of others and the unique opportunity of sharing knowledge.

Please feel free to give me or any of us at Kwad Share your ideas of how we can make this a more streamlined process.

Thanks from Steele and everyone else at Kwad Share.

Last edited by a moderator:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Great idea, Steele. I hope this works out and you have enough donators.

I’ll gladly donate some Kwad Box Chee Pass 2205’s motors or an old PNF Nighthawk Pro 280 for the cause.

P.S. - welcome to Flite Test. Looks like you caught the PPG bug at FFSouth.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Awesome idea Mr. Steele! This is something I can see being a part of, and I think my wife will be happy to see a reduction in gear laying around too. :)

Think a donation point where parts or even whole flyers could be sent for re-purposing would be cool too. A recycling center of sorts.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm very interested in helping something like this succeed too.

There is a sort-of-similar system I've been a member of for years on the topic of sharing used books - http://bookmooch.com/

It uses a system of points to encourage all people to share items with each other that might be able to be adopted to this scenario in case you find Kwad Share being 'gamed' or unbalanced.

Last edited:

Liam B

This seems really cool! Was just wondering if I could switch out my KISS gear for some RF gear, and this would be the perfect way ;)

TonyWony

hi there my name is tony and i have been building a B29 (video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOZaf-hY4c&t=63s) for a mouths but my depression has got the better of me and i had a mention breakdown beacause my family cant afford it. (not going any deeper) and they i smash the plane. a few mouths later i really want to fix the plane all i need is hot gule and foam borad. but i cant get any of this cheap because i live in australia

Liam B

Just saw the episode drop. Seems like a legit idea, and I look forward to seeing where this goes. Props to French and LitteBug for making it in the B roll!:)

Deasuma FPV

I already have a few items for donation. What would be cool is if we ciuld just send the donatable items to one location say a moderator and let them decide who it goes to. I have 2 frames, some motors, and a few transmitters, and 2 tiny whoops id donate. I dont really want to watch the forum to decide who to give it to though.

Wheelz

This is a great idea, especially for those of us on set income. I can't even afford to keep my flite test gremlin flying at this point.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Woot for making the B roll!!! Unfortunately, I just donated my Chee Pass 2205s this week to a new pilot in Colorado that beat up the motors on his first quad.

320dude

I love this idea and definitely see this helping people get involved in the hobby and get flying. I've had a Ft 210 lying around for a while that I have most of the parts for except motors and escs. I was thinking of ordering some red bottoms and bullet escs but I don't exactly have the budget for those right now. I don't really have anything extra lying around right now, but I'd be willing to 3d print parts for people if you have the .stl file and cover shipping.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Steele Davis.
I like both the idea of bringing others into the hobby and also making good use of otherwise potentially wasted equipment. I am grateful for people who look for ways to be generous and act on it. Thank you.

I'm seeing your idea is exploding/snowballing into something really big. That must be encouraging. Congratulations! Perhaps as this comes to fruition for many we can see photos/videos too.

Though I know yo've been in the community and are well known, nevertheless, welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Mr Steele

Hello Steele Davis.
I like both the idea of bringing others into the hobby and also making good use of otherwise potentially wasted equipment. I am grateful for people who look for ways to be generous and act on it. Thank you.

I'm seeing your idea is exploding/snowballing into something really big. That must be encouraging. Congratulations! Perhaps as this comes to fruition for many we can see photos/videos too.

Though I know yo've been in the community and are well known, nevertheless, welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Thanks Jim.
I hope it goes well. we need to get this section of the forum organized first :)

Thank you

Thank you for starting up such a great program. Hopefully people will be able to use it effectively and inspire others to do the same.

Dwight

Joey04

want to get into fpv racing but have little money

Hi. Thank you for taking some time out of your day to read my post. I am a young kid who had been flying rc planes for 4 years now. For the past two years I have gone to Flite Fest and have seen the race drones in amazement. I have always thought about getting a race drone, however I don't have a lot of money so I have always put that thought in the back of my head. I have decided to post on here to see if anyone could help me with motors, a frame, esc's, fpv camera and video transmitter, goggles, ect... any of those items would be great. If you have a spectrum reciever and would like to donate that as well that would be great. I really hope you can help me out on my journey to fpv!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mr. Steele.

The idea of this program is great in its intent. A lot of us here pass gear around when we are able to help even before you started this.

However we now have a situation that is exponentially growing here that YOU should really address. The normal forums are now being flooded with people who misunderstand the intent and use for this program as an aid to help them get in the air and think this is a program where we as a community are going to simply hand them free gear. I see far too many posts now with people coming and saying I have nothing can you give me a complete set up from props to goggles like this is the good will store or something.

There are many people here that bend over backwards to help anyone from the meek and new to the hobby to the down right crude and selfish at times as that is what we do. We are here to help the community NOT to support everyone's hobby aspirations by handing out gear. It would be REALLY helpful if you could come here as well as anywhere else you may be presenting this idea and clarify that the intentions are to help NOT finance everyone.

I understand a lot of younger people have limited resources but to put it bluntly if I can take the time and save for what I want and put it together over time they can surely manage to do the same. For all of you who will say "I am poor" try living on less then $10k dollars a year and having to pay rent, utilities, and food like I do. I understand the lack of funding. When I want or need things my grocery shopping gets cut short to get what I need. Please dont come here asking for things if you are not at least attempting to help yourself. First it will get you no where as people will help someone who is trying before people who are not. Second it just makes you look stingy and selfish with just a hand out and no attempt on your own.

I am sorry if this is too blunt but this is effecting the people who are having problems and asking for help as well as the people trying to help then having to sort past all the gimmie gimmies to get to the ones who are making the effort to begin with on their own. There are so many posts now that requests for specific help are getting shoved off the list before people can sort thru and read them.

Again I apologize for being blunt but this is a HUGE disruption for what we are about and what we are here for.