What is the best 3" drone?

IcedStorm777

So I am wondering what the best 3" drone is? I am looking for something that is fast, powerful, agile, and fun so I can fly around the area where I live (rural). I would really look for something that is BnF as I fly spektrum and don't want to have to buy and solder a receiver on. I want something that is fast but is good at changing direction and preferably something that is light but sturdy. Thanks!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The answer that most people are giving nowadays for any recommendations is, "The cheapest one", or "the one you build yourself", or they suggest something that will require a whole new transmitter system or isn't BNF like you're requesting.

So, a Spektrum 3" quad that's BNF? Well, we had some guys at our field that were going with Trashcans being sold out of Banggood, but 1 guy said he shorted out the flight controller when he landed in the tall weeds when they were damp one morning, and 2 others said that Banggood couldn't get them delivered after 3 months of waiting, so I'm loathe to recommend anything from Banggood that's a Spektrum BNF quad.

So, I'd probably point you to the BetaFPV Toothpick models, something like the HX115. Prices range from about $160-$210, depending on whether you want an HD camera or not.

Emax has their Tinyhawks, but that means either going to FrSky transmitters or soldering on an external receiver, which you don't want to do, so I'd recommend the BetaFPV one instead...

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
your very unlikely to get Spektrum BnF, drones are typically Crossfire or FrSky (see this thread).

The rest of your items your asking for are somewhat in conflict with each other, (IE durability => heavier frame, lighter => lighter frame).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Does this fit your qualifications? I am gathering screen shots and other things so I can post a thread about this build complete with EVERY setting and set up.

Its a 3 inch 4s build that is easily under 250g with 3s batteries, I am working on getting it under 250 on 4s 850mah batteries but it will get there using smaller 650mah 4s packs.

I have it set so it can be all 3 styles of quad in one unit with separate tunes and rates for whoop style / Cine style smooth flowy flights, it can be a super agile racer with aggressive roll and yaw but gentle pitch, and it can also be an aggressive freestyle with soft center sticks but controllable pitch and roll at full deflection.

Keep an eye on the rate profiles center left hand of the screen to see when I got from free style to whoop / cine settings with the flich of a switch.

MUTE SOUND BEFORE CLICKING PLAY THIS IS RAW FOOTAGE.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So I am wondering what the best 3" drone is? I am looking for something that is fast, powerful, agile, and fun so I can fly around the area where I live (rural). I would really look for something that is BnF as I fly spektrum and don't want to have to buy and solder a receiver on. I want something that is fast but is good at changing direction and preferably something that is light but sturdy. Thanks!

If you know about how to tune and how rates work ANY quad can be made to fly as gentile or aggressive as you want. thats all done in betaflight IF you dont just cookie cutter someone else settings or use a "stock" tune that is more akin to flying a wet noodle. Look for the best quality and reputation you can afford. We can walk you thru the rest of setting one up to do what you want.

Things to look for F4 or higher flight controller. Mid range KV motors 2800 to 3600KV ish. I use emax ECO 3300 kv motors in the above video. NO ONE PIECE bottom plates. They are more useful as a chime in a church choir they ring so much. Hyped up high tvl cameras that only have locked in presets. Avoid AIO units IF you can. NO single power level VTX's.

IcedStorm777

Does this fit your qualifications? I am gathering screen shots and other things so I can post a thread about this build complete with EVERY setting and set up.

Its a 3 inch 4s build that is easily under 250g with 3s batteries, I am working on getting it under 250 on 4s 850mah batteries but it will get there using smaller 650mah 4s packs.

I have it set so it can be all 3 styles of quad in one unit with separate tunes and rates for whoop style / Cine style smooth flowy flights, it can be a super agile racer with aggressive roll and yaw but gentle pitch, and it can also be an aggressive freestyle with soft center sticks but controllable pitch and roll at full deflection.

Keep an eye on the rate profiles center left hand of the screen to see when I got from free style to whoop / cine settings with the flich of a switch.

MUTE SOUND BEFORE CLICKING PLAY THIS IS RAW FOOTAGE.

That does fit my qualifications and it looks awesome but I am really looking for a BnF, I really don't want to build one and call me lazy or whatever but I really don't have the time for this right now (Good God school sucks sometimes). Good to know, I am probably gonna go with that BetaFPV unit because it looks really nice and is fairly inexpensive.

IcedStorm777

That does fit my qualifications and it looks awesome but I am really looking for a BnF, I really don't want to build one and call me lazy or whatever but I really don't have the time for this right now (Good God school sucks sometimes). Good to know, I am probably gonna go with that BetaFPV unit because it looks really nice and is fairly inexpensive.

I will probably keep looking because some reviews said the TWIG was very breakable.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

All good bud. I failed reading comprehension and missed the BNF part of your post. Thats why I added the second post to give you an idea what to look for. Just looking forward at some point.. My build is much more powerful with better fpv system for close to the same price or less. That way when you do work into building your own you know you can do better builds then mass produced stuff for the same price point.

IcedStorm777

All good bud. I failed reading comprehension and missed the BNF part of your post. Thats why I added the second post to give you an idea what to look for. Just looking forward at some point.. My build is much more powerful with better fpv system for close to the same price or less. That way when you do work into building your own you know you can do better builds then mass produced stuff for the same price point.

Understood, it looks really awesome. I will let you know if I find anything that looks good!

Bricks

Master member
That little bugger is quick with the flips and roll when in rate 3 and then still looks very stable, nice job on the tuning.

Tin Man

If you do decide to go with the beta fpv one, please let me know how it goes. I’m in the same boat as you, looking for a dsmx quad that’s not junk is really hard, and I don’t want to buy a new radio just for quads. Anyway I think FliteTest sells two beta fpv quads that are around 3” one though I think has the dji camera in it. Correct me if I’m wrong, I know very little about quads anyway.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That little bugger is quick with the flips and roll when in rate 3 and then still looks very stable, nice job on the tuning.

Ty sir!
Yeah tuning really is the most important thing. Betaflight stock settings can get any build in the air safely but it handles like you are steering a wet noodle. Tighter pid tunings is what gets this done not all the fancy filters.