What is the best FC & firmware for RTH?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have flown planes line of sight for many years and have been thinking about doing more FPV. I have made some rudimentary fixed wing FPV attempts with good success. However, In my part of the world, it's an ocean of corn. In the air, it's very easy to get lost. I have reached the conclusion that having return to home functionality is a necessity.

What is the best flight controller and firmware to support RTH for FPV flying? For a fixed wing, a quad copter and a tri copter.
Also, any thoughts on which has greater endurance, a quad or a tri copter?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I've had great success running iNav on a cheapo Omnibus F3 clone in my wing. For multirotors iNav is probably still the easiest solution, but it won't fly as nicely as Betaflight. Arduplane/Arducopter is another fantastic option, but more expensive, more complex and runs on fewer boards.

As far as what board to run, I'd say go with an F4 that is supported by the firmware you choose and has the UARTs etc that you need. So many boards to choose from, it's hard to say what's best. For endurance, I imagine that a tri and a quad would be very similar, but I don't have any numbers to back that up.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@ElectriSean You are right, I did not word it very well asking for “the best”. Your comment of iNav being the easiest more accurately captures what I’m looking for.

Will iNav work in a tri copter?

If there is no significant endurance difference between a tri and a quad, I’m guessing a quad is the way to go. I’m guessing quads are easier to build and setup & probably have more support.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
iNav will work with Tricopters, but you're right that quads are easier and have more support. I only have limited experience with tri's, they can be fiddly. Definitely neat though :)