What is the difference?

ProQuadGuy?

So what is so different between a motor for a plane and a quadcopter? For example a 1000kv motor for a plane vs a 1000kv motor for a quadcopter.

Also it would be very helpful if you can recommend me 4 good motors for a quadcopter. Around 1000kv preferably not below 1000. Also Is a 4s battery enough to drive 4 1000kv motors? I am new to rc in general.

Also Off topic but what size props?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
There is no difference between motors on a plane vs a quad.

What size is your quad? This will tell use what size motors will be best.

tneun

Nicolas
There is now difference between them. You can you "plane" motors for quadcopters and "quadcopter" motors for a plane. Altough a "plane" motor doesn't need to lift the plane it only needs to pull or push the plane at a certain speed. A plane's motor usually (but doesn't have to) turn CCW. And a quadcopter's motors turn CCW and CW: two CW and two CCW. Here is a small diagram of the naze32 motor layout: nazemotordirection.jpg

What size quadcopter? How much will the quadcopter weigh? Why do you want 1000kv motors and not 1500kv motors or 2000kv? Why a 4s battery?

The prop size will determened by the motor size and the kv of the motors. How lower the kv how bigger the props, and how higher the kv how smaller the props. How bigger the motor how bigger the props, but if you'd have 2 motors and one would be smaller and has a lower kv and the other one would be bigger and has a higher kv you still could end up with putting the same size props on both of the motors.

If I was you I would check first the flitetest beginner series here, because I kinda have a feeling that you still have a lot of questions that are pretty good explained in the rc beginner series. You can skip all the plane stuff and go to the battery stuff, etc.

I know it's al really confusing, but you'll get there!

Good luck

JDWells

Clockwise and counter clockwise are relative to the plane. When you say a plane motor spins CCW that's from the front, looking to the rear of the model, correct? So from a "cockpit POV" it would be CW?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Clockwise and counter clockwise are relative to the plane. When you say a plane motor spins CCW that's from the front, looking to the rear of the model, correct? So from a "cockpit POV" it would be CW?

Yes. In RC it is looking at the front of the plane or top of the multi-rotor

For RC planes it is "Normal" to use CCW props and CCW motors with CW threaded shafts. The thread direction should be opposite the prop rotation so the prop doesn't undo the prop nut.

Cockpit POV depends where the cockpit is so don't start confusing thing :)

Last edited:

JDWells

Yeah that makes sense. I've been a mechanic a long time and everything is always in relation to driving position so that's how my brain does it with this too. The only reason I bring it up is that because that's "normal" for me, as a newbie everybody keeps saying CCW for planes without qualifying it so I got it backwards at first. Just trying to help.