What is the most fun FT plane that can be flown in a baseball field?

krypton

Usually I am used to massive fields but after moving, the largest area available to me is a baseball field.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I think you're the only person that can answer that, as it's based on your skill as a pilot.

As a general rule though, you'll want something that can fly slow, and is small and agile. I'd recommend the simple scout.

clolsonus

Speaking only of the FT airplanes I've built/flown personally ...

Sparrow: I think the Sparrow would be an excellent choice for ball-field flying. It flies amazing, handles wind really well, and can operate in tight places. Plus it's one of the quicker/simpler designs to put together. I had the airframe together in about an hour and the motor/electronics installed in about another hour.

Fokker DR-1: I was surprised that this airplane seemed to need more room than I expected for it's size. You can fly it in tight areas, but you have to be a bit careful to keep it in close. In my build I got the top wing slightly warped so it wants to pitch up and stall in right turns and wants to tuck under in left turns. I'm really bummed out about that ... I thought I was super careful lining everything up, and I put a lot of time into the finish and markings ... so it's more of a wall decoration for me right now.

Storch: I really love this airplane and design, but it is one of the bigger FT designs. I think you could easily fly it in a small space if you were careful, but it is a bigger plane that likes to range further if it can. I have an 8' telemaster senior (arf) and the storch flies so much like the big telemaster. I love it ... now I want to build an 8' (or 12'?) foamboard storch ... some day!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Nutball - can be hovered, looped and flown at high alpha at around walking pace. It's flight style is unlike most conventional planes and a challenge!

krypton

I am usually conflicted because while it seems that smaller planes will need less space, I feel like they can also be faster which can swallow a large area.

I guess it depends on the plane, I suspect an FT mini Corsair would need more space than the FT Simple Storch.

jaredstrees

I am usually conflicted because while it seems that smaller planes will need less space, I feel like they can also be faster which can swallow a large area.

I guess it depends on the plane, I suspect an FT mini Corsair would need more space than the FT Simple Storch.
I can fly my mini corsair in a pretty small area. If you want something in the smallish size but easier to handle try the mini scout or the ft flyer.