What is the safe storage voltage for this Li-Ion battery?

Ducky84

I have a Radiomaster Li-Ion battery for my Tx: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DNRSKRP/?tag=lstir-20

I have an iMax B6AC v2 charger, and I was looking through the manual, and it specifies the following...

For Li-Ion
Max charge voltage 4.1V/Cell
Storage Voltage 3.7V/Cell

My battery is a 2 cell and on it the pack, it says 7.4V. Would this not be considered the maximum voltage? According the manual for my charger, 7.4v would be the storage voltage, however my battery didn't come with a manual...So I'm not sure what my max charge, or recommended storage should be.

Internet suggests 3.8V for storage (Or 7.6v) But that's higher than what my pack shows.

EDIT: After doing more reading and research, it seems that 7.4V value is the nominal voltage, not the storage nor the max. (Like a LiPo is 3.7 nominal, but the max is 4.2) So the Max charge voltage for my battery would actually be something like 4.1V (Or 8.2 for the 2 cells)

I think I understand now, but would still leave this up in-case I have anything wrong.
/Still learning as I go!

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
EDIT: After doing more reading and research, it seems that 7.4V value is the nominal voltage, not the storage nor the max. (Like a LiPo is 3.7 nominal, but the max is 4.2) So the Max charge voltage for my battery would actually be something like 4.1V (Or 8.2 for the 2 cells)
Your voltage here are basically correct. You could charge your pack to 8.4v (4.2/cell) without any issues.
There is nothing magical about the storage charge, you just don’t want to leave a pack fully charged or fully discharged for an extended period, 7 days +. It’s best to leave a pack in the middle of the range, anywhere around 3.5-3.8 is good.

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
I have a Radiomaster Li-Ion battery for my Tx: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DNRSKRP/?tag=lstir-20

I have an iMax B6AC v2 charger, and I was looking through the manual, and it specifies the following...

For Li-Ion
Max charge voltage 4.1V/Cell
Storage Voltage 3.7V/Cell

My battery is a 2 cell and on it the pack, it says 7.4V. Would this not be considered the maximum voltage? According the manual for my charger, 7.4v would be the storage voltage, however my battery didn't come with a manual...So I'm not sure what my max charge, or recommended storage should be.

Internet suggests 3.8V for storage (Or 7.6v) But that's higher than what my pack shows.

I think I understand now, but would still leave this up in-case I have anything wrong.
/Still learning as I go!
3.7/cell is the nominal voltage.

Bricks

Master member
Me personally never do a storage charge for my transmitter it is either charged or in some state of charge.

Frenzy 3D

I would prefer hardcell cylinder lithium ion batteries for my transmitters if not the hard cell life batteries.

I fully charge my transmitter batteries and just use the transmitter for say five hours and then recharge it again. It could be a month between charges having multiple transmitters. Both using life and lithium ion.

Lipo batteries is something all together. Normally you do not leave these batteries fully charged due to the higher risk of fire. And supposedly battery will degrade faster. I just believe it's a risk to have a fully charged Lipo battery around especially indoors. My lipo batteries are kept outside always even when charging.

Some high-end transmitters use LiPO batteries but they usually have circuitry within them to protect the battery from us humans who make mistakes because of course we are human. Or at least most of us are.