what is the slowest plane on FT

keepitup

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/slow-flyer-for-small-area.77/

you can also just scale it up if you want a larger plane. then you don't have to change the battery box to fit the larger battery. I have done both 150% and 200.
Very cool.Thank you again. I still have a few large wings from previous builds that I have made to upgrade to 4c but the birds never lasted that long so I may experiment a bit, just tryin to go slooooow. Watched a vid earlier of a fellow in Holland if the windmill was any indication flying really slow chasing ducks and slowly cruising around. Looks to me to be difficult to mess it up if you are not in a hurricane.

slowjo

Master member
Were i live we simply have no large areas to fly. The largest field I have permission to use is only about 400x400 feet. and surrounded on all 4 sides by 100 foot tall ( plane hungry trees). I know cause i have feed them already. I have tried building a few different planes looking for a nice slow and low flying plane, Low because im a very inexperienced pilot and mistakes 20 feet off the ground is always fatal. Best plane i found so far is the Pietenpol. But i was wondering if anyone could suggest not only just a more suited plane but also the best setup to hold it in the air slow. Should i go with a 2200kv motor and a 6.45 prop or a 1000kv with a 9 inch prop and just dont crank the throttle up ? in other words how can i make an oldman plane ? Thanks
just built an old speedster to fly with the grand kids, 3 channel, very slow

slowjo

Master member
right now I'm gonna build just a single wing and just tack the wings in place enough to try it out. when I get that one right then i will try adding the second wing. I'm really not sure if I should move the wing over or not.
I just built one, did not under stand the offset wing so I centered it and it flew and turned both ways fine???

slowjo

Master member
I have also built one when watching the videos
but which is slower?
I'm very rough with sticks I need something super slow to have more response time
I'm afraid to fly it, it's been very nice

View attachment 132535
I've never seen the servo mounted outside but all the way forward? but I really like it, it reminds me of the steering gearbox on the old cars! I think on my next old school build I need to do it that way!

slowjo

Master member
If you live on the 5th floor, then forget the controller AND battery, just chuck it out the window, you're still gonna get more flight time then most of us do.
sounds like fun, just making them gliders, unless its a 5 story walkup ?!

sundown57

Legendary member
I think the one I came up with is about the slowest plane I've ever flown. If you watch some of the videos on my youtube channel you will see just how slow you can fly it.

checkerboardflyer

Here's one of the slowest R/C planes that I have seen NOT on FT. It's called the Glass Cub. https://youtu.be/KJGhs0NQelc More tips and resources for foam board R/C modelers at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

glass cub.jpg

cochise99

im using the flysky I6X and yes that was very much my problem I was always setting it at rate 70 and expo 30. the other night I glued a push rod to a servo arm and glued the servo to a piece of foam board and sat and watched what it was actually doing. I had it reversed. Plus it helped me a lot to understand rates and expos. Now I set the rate at whatever the plane calls for and set the expo up around 60-70. that helped a LOT.

That link is to Flite tests beginner series videos. They will provide lots of information in a series of You Tube videos.

cochise99

watch this video. This is the Old Speedster ( not the mini) with a top wing added. I made the top wing 2 inches bigger all the way around and then just centered it one inch in front and one in behind the bottom wing. It is pretty much the same size as the fish, but I found it even easier to fly, Much more stable. this is the one I have flown the most out of any I've built.

LINK IS DEAD

cochise99

watch this video. This is the Old Speedster ( not the mini) with a top wing added. I made the top wing 2 inches bigger all the way around and then just centered it one inch in front and one in behind the bottom wing. It is pretty much the same size as the fish, but I found it even easier to fly, Much more stable. this is the one I have flown the most out of any I've built.

LINK IS DEAD