what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
So, I've been looking for a nice easy flyer for my son... (the motor/battery combo is perfect!)

I checked out your plans, with your permission I'll dress them up in CAD for laser cutting, but I need at least one or two measurements to get the scale right...
I see witness marks on the 8.5x11 sheets, is that the page size, or the margin?.....

Thanks for sharing!
That would be very cool. I have since made a few updates to the original planes I would like you to know about before you start. your welcome to message me and I will try to explain what I changed. thanks.

chris398mx

Master member
That would be very cool. I have since made a few updates to the original planes I would like you to know about before you start. your welcome to message me and I will try to explain what I changed. thanks.
Yes a dimension or 2 written on the plans will help out a lot. what size paper do i need to print on for the 100% size plane?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
OK, then @sundown57! I'm building YOUR plane! If your head swells any bigger, we'll have to look at cargo straps to keep it contained. :LOL: At the very least, some Ace bandages and plaster-of-paris! :ROFLMAO: (Payback is a hoot! :p)

Nothing is glued yet. I'm sorting through parts and test fitting. In our conversations, you gave me some pointers about your design improvements. Does this look about right so far? I plan on gluing in the most rearward vertical spar and squaring it. Then popping the other pieces in and making sure they are squared.

20190919_214551.jpg

Assuming this is correct at this point, what's the next step?

sundown57

Legendary member
OK, then @sundown57! I'm building YOUR plane! If your head swells any bigger, we'll have to look at cargo straps to keep it contained. :LOL: At the very least, some Ace bandages and plaster-of-paris! :ROFLMAO: (Payback is a hoot! :p)

Nothing is glued yet. I'm sorting through parts and test fitting. In our conversations, you gave me some pointers about your design improvements. Does this look about right so far? I plan on gluing in the most rearward vertical spar and squaring it. Then popping the other pieces in and making sure they are squared.

View attachment 143032

Assuming this is correct at this point, what's the next step?
yup. looks right to me. if you get those 4 pieces square it will make all the rest of the build a breeze. and if i need cargo straps ill just borrow yours.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Why would you wanna go slower lol... you gotta stretch out that Spit yet. You saw @CarolineTyler maiden hers, I think your scared :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO:
That's funny! I'm not an IDIOT! :p Flying a Spitfire on 4s? I do not have those skills. I don't know what you're smoking, but you should keep it to yourself! :eek: I'm just fine with 3s at the moment, thank you very much. I've got a new motor to try, plus the new APC props. I can't wait to get it into the air. The weather didn't cooperate on my last opportunity.

Since your talking about being all scaredy... Where's video of YOUR 4s Spitfire flight? Hmmm? :devilish:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That's funny! I'm not an IDIOT! :p Flying a Spitfire on 4s? I do not have those skills. I don't know what you're smoking, but you should keep it to yourself! :eek: I'm just fine with 3s at the moment, thank you very much. I've got a new motor to try, plus the new APC props. I can't wait to get it into the air. The weather didn't cooperate on my last opportunity.

Since your talking about being all scaredy... Where's video of YOUR 4s Spitfire flight? Hmmm? :devilish:
The more I think about this post, the more I think what a rush it would be to fly the Spitfire on 4s! Assuming one backs off the throttle on the turns, so the wings don't fold, that's like a 100 mph low pass! With the Spitfire??!! That's exciting! Darn you, @BATTLEAXE! Now I'm not only trying to learn to fly 3d, I've got to perfect my form with a warbird, so I can SCREAM on the low pass.

Thanks for the kick in the butt. Still waiting on your video. ;)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Touché... point taken. The Spit is in the graveyard but I do have a P-40 coming up with a speed wing, and I might have a 4s I could borrow from a friend, purchase an 8x8 prop... sounds like a challenge there my friend (y):cool:(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The more I think about this post, the more I think what a rush it would be to fly the Spitfire on 4s! Assuming one backs off the throttle on the turns, so the wings don't fold, that's like a 100 mph low pass! With the Spitfire??!! That's exciting! Darn you, @BATTLEAXE! Now I'm not only trying to learn to fly 3d, I've got to perfect my form with a warbird, so I can SCREAM on the low pass.

You know you like the adrenaline rush... it's addictive isn't it o_O:ROFLMAO:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You know you like the adrenaline rush... it's addictive isn't it o_O:ROFLMAO:
I used to ride motorcycles to get my rush. I had a bad wreck and can't ride anymore. I was kind of lost trying to find something. I found FliteTest. I found that I can get stupid with an RC aircraft and get the same rush, only when I crash and burn? I just build another plane.

Therefore, I build and fly and crash and push and push and push. All for those moments when it just works. I'm hanging off a prop, or I'm flying by on a low pass and I get it right. It's all craziness and whoosh and whoosh and look at that!

I used to find things to tinker with on my bike. My last was a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. The yellow/black. She was perfect, and all my tinkering was just to play with her. The rush I got from riding her? I commuted on that motorcycle. Year round. My days off were spent in finding and riding down the most windy roads I could find. I was good at it. I could drag a knee.

Accident happened, and now I'm very, very weak. I'll never ride a motorcycle again. I have found that I CAN get the same rush from flying stupid with RC planes. The low, fast pass, seems to offer the most relief. Flying my MSBP and watching it do crazy, gravity defying stuff, is also pretty good.

Yes. I like the adrenaline rush. I NEED it. It keeps me sane. All this doesn't change the fact that you called me out and called me scared. :eek:

I WILL one day fly the Spitfire with a 4s battery. I'm actually really looking forward to it. How about you? ;)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I used to ride motorcycles to get my rush. I had a bad wreck and can't ride anymore. I was kind of lost trying to find something. I found FliteTest. I found that I can get stupid with an RC aircraft and get the same rush, only when I crash and burn? I just build another plane.

Therefore, I build and fly and crash and push and push and push. All for those moments when it just works. I'm hanging off a prop, or I'm flying by on a low pass and I get it right. It's all craziness and whoosh and whoosh and look at that!

I used to find things to tinker with on my bike. My last was a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. The yellow/black. She was perfect, and all my tinkering was just to play with her. The rush I got from riding her? I commuted on that motorcycle. Year round. My days off were spent in finding and riding down the most windy roads I could find. I was good at it. I could drag a knee.

Accident happened, and now I'm very, very weak. I'll never ride a motorcycle again. I have found that I CAN get the same rush from flying stupid with RC planes. The low, fast pass, seems to offer the most relief. Flying my MSBP and watching it do crazy, gravity defying stuff, is also pretty good.

Yes. I like the adrenaline rush. I NEED it. It keeps me sane. All this doesn't change the fact that you called me out and called me scared. :eek:

I WILL one day fly the Spitfire with a 4s battery. I'm actually really looking forward to it. How about you? ;)
Yea I like adrenaline, I love scaring the pants off myself. I was always into dirt bikes, boats and sleds as a kid. Young and stupid taking risks like life would never end. After graduation I moved to Whistler BC for 4 years and would ski and snowboard 100 days a season, ripping everything from backcountry powder at 60mph, 2400 vertical feet in 3-4 turns down double blacks, to taking high speed jumps on spines and tabletops in the park with 30' of air between the ground and my deck, leaping off cliffs with 10 seconds of free fall trying to reach terminal velocity.

At 23 i moved to Vancouver Island and became a bungy jump master tossing myself into the abyss at least once or twice a day. I have had my fair share of the street bike time as well collecting speeding tickets, never seriously crashed though. Fast cars pushing the throttle to 240mph till you can feel the car float on the highway and racing in the city freeways playin cat and mouse... you ask adrenaline, I got a few of those T-shirts man. I just have an appreciation for someone else who feels the same.

RC flight is soon becoming that for me as well, I keep pushing those limits too. Whether it is stunts or speed passes, long sweeping turns pulling G's. Now i am starting to get comfortable with full throttle on the Baby Blender like its just another day at the office, I want more, hence the P-40. Just started a new thread on a FT-22 which should kick some arse as well. Check it out, you might like it

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

Just because you have the power, doesn't mean you have to use it all!
Most of my maiden I was on a third to two thirds power. It's good to have the headroom there should you need it, or for a super fast pass.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yea I like adrenaline, I love scaring the pants off myself. I was always into dirt bikes, boats and sleds as a kid. Young and stupid taking risks like life would never end. After graduation I moved to Whistler BC for 4 years and would ski and snowboard 100 days a season, ripping everything from backcountry powder at 60mph, 2400 vertical feet in 3-4 turns down double blacks, to taking high speed jumps on spines and tabletops in the park with 30' of air between the ground and my deck, leaping off cliffs with 10 seconds of free fall trying to reach terminal velocity.

At 23 i moved to Vancouver Island and became a bungy jump master tossing myself into the abyss at least once or twice a day. I have had my fair share of the street bike time as well collecting speeding tickets, never seriously crashed though. Fast cars pushing the throttle to 240mph till you can feel the car float on the highway and racing in the city freeways playin cat and mouse... you ask adrenaline, I got a few of those T-shirts man. I just have an appreciation for someone else who feels the same.

RC flight is soon becoming that for me as well, I keep pushing those limits too. Whether it is stunts or speed passes, long sweeping turns pulling G's. Now i am starting to get comfortable with full throttle on the Baby Blender like its just another day at the office, I want more, hence the P-40. Just started a new thread on a FT-22 which should kick some arse as well. Check it out, you might like it
@BATTLEAXE I tend to bump heads with two types of people. Those that don't get it, and by golly just get out of my way! I also bump heads with like-minded persons, but we just communicate differently.

You and me are the second type. We're both big enough souls to adjust and understand. I respect that. I also respect another adrenaline junkie that has found his home on the FT Forums! You push me, I'll push you. Nothing I'll ever say to you will ever be intended as disrespectful, though I will bust on your backside!

We can can keep pushing, you and I, with the understanding that anything said is said with respect. @mayan has pushed me to excel for a long time now. I push him back. :)

It works for us. I'm pushing at you. YOU said Spitfire with a 4s. You rebuild it. Drop a thread for it. It'll be glorious. You do it, and I will as well. It's two weeks before I can even order the batteries. You've got time. THEN? We take that monster into the sky! :love: