what is the slowest plane on FT

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I said it!!!! Warbirds look great when flown at a scale speed.
"Scale Speed" That means screaming by at hundreds of miles of an hour, right? Just kidding. That beautiful warbird, dropping low from the side of the field, sailing across in a majestic, slow and low pass?

I did that with my maiden, and it was truly glorious. I am not lying when I say that the run from right to left on my maiden video was one of the highlights of my entire RC flying experience. It was spectacular to me, and very scale, I think. It looked good!

Butttt... I DO want to see that same maneuver, stupid fast! That run may have been to scale, but scale it up and do it really, really fast, and now I'm closer to experiencing it. What it would have been like flying a Spitfire, just off the ground, at breakneck speeds. Seat of the pants. Tree top height. Things happening so fast, you have to react before they happen, you've got to see it coming, or you WILL crash.

I've just an open field and a foam board RC airplane. I'm not ready for what I just wrote. I AM working towards it, though! :)

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb and @BATTLEAXE I like the challenge and am in too once I get a 4S for my X-29. I totally agree with @CarolineTyler regarding the not having to use all the power you have until you need it to save you butt. Those of us flying slow low passes would know what I am talking about when the only thing that is going to save your plane is full throttle.

@buzzbomb if you want to do fast low passes practice doing slow low passes make sure the plane flys by you very stable that you don’t freak out when it’s to close and do a stupid turn that will make the plane tip stall to the ground. Do this a few times making sure you got the in and out paths figured out. Make sure not to have building on the exist path otherwise be prepared to hit it. Now that you’ve done that and feeling good about it come in slow and low and when leveled at the height you want just push to full throttle. Make sure to use a bit of up elevator so you climb up into a safe zone.

Have fun :)!

moret

The more I think about this post, the more I think what a rush it would be to fly the Spitfire on 4s! Assuming one backs off the throttle on the turns, so the wings don't fold, that's like a 100 mph low pass! With the Spitfire??!! That's exciting! Darn you, @BATTLEAXE! Now I'm not only trying to learn to fly 3d, I've got to perfect my form with a warbird, so I can SCREAM on the low pass.

Thanks for the kick in the butt. Still waiting on your video. ;)

Don't back off on the turns, its also a rush to see the plane at a 90 degree angle as you turn to come down the runway. 4S - and FT C pack, go to 9 x 4.5 prop. I also had to go to a 45 amp ESC on the mustang with the new FT C pack motor. Motor still gets a "little" warm. Climb out away from you, turn around and then drive full throttle down to about 6 foot and after the plane passes pull straight up, rolling as you go. Love to do that with the mustang. The old slow spits just gets left at home:(. The spit is running the C V2 power pack and ESC. Use 4S on both

PoorManRC

Master member
now 30% rate, -80% expo I have seen that I have to put it negative to achieve the desired effect of the anti stick made

I had to learn THAT the hard way! FlySky Radios need the Expo set NEGATIVE or else it will be even twitchier!! 😲
It not in the "manual", and rarely described in Videos.
It's like FlySky is the bastard son of RC. 😜
I've got the FS-6T. So far, pretty good, except for the chunky, single antenna.
But yes, when setting Expo on these, you must do NEGATIVE numbers.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb if you want to do fast low passes practice doing slow low passes make sure the plane flys by you very stable that you don’t freak out when it’s to close and do a stupid turn that will make the plane tip stall to the ground. Do this a few times making sure you got the in and out paths figured out. Make sure not to have building on the exist path otherwise be prepared to hit it. Now that you’ve done that and feeling good about it come in slow and low and when leveled at the height you want just push to full throttle. Make sure to use a bit of up elevator so you climb up into a safe zone.
THAT my friend, is some very good advice! (y)(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
How's it goin buzz? Have you checked out my p-40 thread, almost done. Can't wait to get it out on the maiden. I wanna get my drone pilot buddy out there with me to get the footage, really like the aerial vids. You might like the paint job too.

Did you fly today?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
How's it goin buzz? Have you checked out my p-40 thread, almost done. Can't wait to get it out on the maiden. I wanna get my drone pilot buddy out there with me to get the footage, really like the aerial vids. You might like the paint job too.

Did you fly today?
I haven't hit your p-40 thread in a while. I'll go check it out. No flying today. Work day. Hopefully next Tuesday or Wednesday. It was just too windy when I tried to fly this Wednesday. I know that sounds crazy coming from me, but 20+mph winds are just too much. Though I have tried!

I agree, your buddy is shooting some nice video. Would that we all could get aerial vid of us flying! :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb I like that you understood that going crazy doesn't mean flying in conditions where the weather is controlling your plane and not you controlling it :).
Yeah, I am more experienced, more wise and less crazy. *sigh* There was joy in those days of trying to fly a foamboard plane in insane wind! The thing is, those were much simpler planes in my early days. Much easier to replace or repair.

It's only foamboard, but now that I'm building more complicated planes that I actually care about, cooler heads must prevail. I still want to get out there and push my limits. I want those limits to be my own, though. Not just the wind slapping me out of the sky. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Yeah, I am more experienced, more wise and less crazy. *sigh* There was joy in those days of trying to fly a foamboard plane in insane wind! The thing is, those were much simpler planes in my early days. Much easier to replace or repair.

It's only foamboard, but now that I'm building more complicated planes that I actually care about, cooler heads must prevail. I still want to get out there and push my limits. I want those limits to be my own, though. Not just the wind slapping me out of the sky. :)
I think that fast enough you'll realize that the bigger models fly better in wind still not too strongs of a wind but can fly in conditions that are less than ideal.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It was pretty windy here today, maybe not as windy as where you are but I was in build mode so all was good. Gonna try tomorrow though. I got the FT-22 on the go which might be my go to plane, hoping it won't take long to build. Getting kinda bored with the Baby Blender. We will see what happens

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It was pretty windy here today, maybe not as windy as where you are but I was in build mode so all was good. Gonna try tomorrow though. I got the FT-22 on the go which might be my go to plane, hoping it won't take long to build. Getting kinda bored with the Baby Blender. We will see what happens
Yeah, my extended BB was fun, but I also got bored with flying it. On my "Baby B Go Fast" vid, that was probably the most fun I've had with it, but it's pretty limited as to what it can do. It's just heavy and doesn't have enough lift to make it fun. No lie, it does fly really, really well! That's about it, though.

The FT-22? As a go-to? That's interesting for a guy who likes warbirds and biplanes! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, my extended BB was fun, but I also got bored with flying it. On my "Baby B Go Fast" vid, that was probably the most fun I've had with it, but it's pretty limited as to what it can do. It's just heavy and doesn't have enough lift to make it fun. No lie, it does fly really, really well! That's about it, though.

The FT-22? As a go-to? That's interesting for a guy who likes warbirds and biplanes! :)
I like the BB as it handles really nimble but yes I agree it is heavy and has a lot of drag. It is a plane that has a lot of potential for more and is worthy of more tweeking. I might have outgrown this version of it though.

The FT-22 I am building is a bit far from the stock version, I am not building it as a slow high alpha elevon trainer. Started a thread on that one as well, @The Hangar and I are modifying the hell out of it to see what it is capable of, again pushing limits. As a go to I mean it could be the opening act kinda plane to get the thumbs warmed up for the main event. I want to revisit the Scout on a speed wing as well, might make it a winter plane with floats or something. haven't decided yet.

So much I want to build. Seen this the other day:
the-privateer.jpg
A twin boom pusher amphibious plane, considering ways to FB this unit just for fun in the winter as well

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I like the BB as it handles really nimble but yes I agree it is heavy and has a lot of drag. It is a plane that has a lot of potential for more and is worthy of more tweeking. I might have outgrown this version of it though.

The FT-22 I am building is a bit far from the stock version, I am not building it as a slow high alpha elevon trainer. Started a thread on that one as well, @The Hangar and I are modifying the hell out of it to see what it is capable of, again pushing limits. As a go to I mean it could be the opening act kinda plane to get the thumbs warmed up for the main event. I want to revisit the Scout on a speed wing as well, might make it a winter plane with floats or something. haven't decided yet.

So much I want to build. Seen this the other day:
View attachment 143117 A twin boom pusher amphibious plane, considering ways to FB this unit just for fun in the winter as well
Oh my! o_O I've never seen it's like! That's a whole lot of smooth, tight curves to do in foamboard! The nose is insane! You're right. That is one HECK of a winter project!

Drop a link for the 22 build, if you don't mind. I may have seen it, but I can't find it now.

Headbang

Master member

The plane does not know it is windy a wise man once told me. I love the wind! 30mph is perfect for a whole bunch of fun that is not possible in the calm. As long as I have more thrust then there is wind, I am good to go! Once I was up in the air as a storm blew in, a good 60mph wind. I not only was flying backwards, I landed backwards!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The plane does not know it is windy a wise man once told me. I love the wind! 30mph is perfect for a whole bunch of fun that is not possible in the calm. As long as I have more thrust then there is wind, I am good to go! Once I was up in the air as a storm blew in, a good 60mph wind. I not only was flying backwards, I landed backwards!
Just as much as I push my limits, I'm learning my limitations. A 30mph wind might be fun for you. It's suicide for me. On youtube, I'm buzzbombtoo. I've got PLENTY of videos with me getting stupid in the wind. Not a one of them ends well. Though darn if I didn't have fun trying! ;)

60mph wind? More power to you! I don't suppose you've got video of that? That'd be awesome!:D

Javiester

Elite member
@buzzbomb I like that you understood that going crazy doesn't mean flying in conditions where the weather is controlling your plane and not you controlling it :).

already, but it costs so much to hold on and stay at home
it is a vice
when it's windy (moderate) I go out with the Baby brit and half of the time I have to repair or rebuild
I have built three Baby brit, thankfully they are quick to build
It is fun