what is the slowest plane on FT

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@sundown57 No pictures. It's late. Servos, control horns, control rods and supports are all in. The wing is glued to the frame. Basically, I'm saying that this bird is ready to fly! Except taking the paper off from the bottom of the wings mean those wings definitely need support.

I read through the instructions on how to string them, but I'm less than positive as to what to do. Can you put up a few pics of exactly how the stringing looks, when complete? If I can finish this bird up tomorrow, she might see the sky in the next day or two! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@sundown57 No pictures. It's late. Servos, control horns, control rods and supports are all in. The wing is glued to the frame. Basically, I'm saying that this bird is ready to fly! Except taking the paper off from the bottom of the wings mean those wings definitely need support.

I read through the instructions on how to string them, but I'm less than positive as to what to do. Can you put up a few pics of exactly how the stringing looks, when complete? If I can finish this bird up tomorrow, she might see the sky in the next day or two! :D
Ah the stringing technique... didn't he post a thread on this one somewhere. I saw it, he had like 30 pics and step by step instructions on it. It definitely looks scale AF, steps up the cool factor by a few notches.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ah the stringing technique... didn't he post a thread on this one somewhere. I saw it, he had like 30 pics and step by step instructions on it. It definitely looks scale AF, steps up the cool factor by a few notches.
Yep he did a really boss job of a write-up and stringing a biplane. To my knowledge, no one on this forum or another is doing the same, or has done a better write up of how to do it.

This one is different. It's not a biplane, and the location.... well it's different. "1/2 a toothpick?" One inch in from the formers, how? Like I said. It's almost built. I just need a little more guidance. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
maybe we will call it Kevlar braid - it is so thin (maybe 0.5mm) and braided with multiple colours - it would look beautiful out in the open on a Biplane!
I'm just picturing such a thing on the 150% MSBP that @sundown57 made. It's pretty wonderful. A plane half again the size I designed it. It's already big and beautiful.

Now we're going to add kevlar braid, in multiple colors? Nah, skip the colors.

Kevlar braid, worked in the wings in the way only @sundown57 can? That'd be be crazy cool! :)

sundown57

Legendary member

this one is a lot easier to string then the biplane.
1. on the outside support I just run the needle through backward ( thread first) from inside of support to make a loop on the outside. That leaves a loop outside and 2 strings inside.
2. glue about an inch of the string to the inside of the support (image 3880) and trim the excess flush to the wing.
3. slide 1/2 toothpick into the loop. pull tight and glue in place. (image 3885)
4.. Do this on both from and back of the same wing.
5. now run the string across the fuselage but do NOT glue to fuse yet, repeat steps 1-3 on the other wing pulling string just tight enough to begin deforming the wing. (image 3882)
6. once the 2 strings are glued to all 4 points on the struts and are tight, turn the plane over and just eyeball the leading edge to make sure it is straight, once the leading edge is straight on both sides mark the string so you can turn the plane over again and glue it in place to the fuselage. ( image 3895)
7. once the glue is dry on the front sting, again turn it over and center the trailing edge to get it even on both sides and glue it in place ( image 3894)
Unless you are buzzbomb most all the load is on the bottom of the wing pushing up, so the string doesn't have to be super tight, it will tighten up when load is applied to it. The string really only keeps the wings from fluttering and straight.

Attachments

• IMG_3880.JPG
    IMG_3880.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3882.JPG
    IMG_3882.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3894.JPG
    IMG_3894.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The plane is complete! All that is left is to bind the receiver and program the TX for the new model!

20191008_001404.jpg

I was hoping to maiden in the next couple of days, but the wind forecast is really high. Keep your fingers crossed. If not this week then next, and that bird is going in the air! :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I can not lie it actually looks pretty sweet, clean build again. I hope it flies slow enough for ya ;):ROFLMAO:
I'm not good at slow. I try to hover, but that's not the same. This is going to be a new experience for me. Once I've done the slow, though?

:devilish: :p :love:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had some issues with an esc, and it cost me being able to fly last week. I've been troubleshooting the darn thing for a week. I finally came up with a solution.

I swapped out that stupid yellow esc for a 20amp FT esc. I'd previously soldered on the 3.5mm plugs, for my Mini Scout Speed Racer build. So yeah, I stole it from my MSSR. Darn if it doesn't work, though! Maiden in about 12 hours! Whoots! :D

sundown57

Legendary member
I had some issues with an esc, and it cost me being able to fly last week. I've been troubleshooting the darn thing for a week. I finally came up with a solution.

I swapped out that stupid yellow esc for a 20amp FT esc. I'd previously soldered on the 3.5mm plugs, for my Mini Scout Speed Racer build. So yeah, I stole it from my MSSR. Darn if it doesn't work, though! Maiden in about 12 hours! Whoots! :D
ok so now you have it narrowed down to the yellow ESC. Cut the yellow shrink wrap off and look at the 5 wires where they solder to the board, my guess is either one of the small 3 wires broke off or they are twisted and shorting out but more likely its the bullet connectors. once you fix it, wrap it with electrical tape only. The glue on some of the heavier tapes can conduct enough to mess them up.

mayan

Legendary member
ok so now you have it narrowed down to the yellow ESC. Cut the yellow shrink wrap off and look at the 5 wires where they solder to the board, my guess is either one of the small 3 wires broke off or they are twisted and shorting out but more likely its the bullet connectors. once you fix it, wrap it with electrical tape only. The glue on some of the heavier tapes can conduct enough to mess them up.
Lesson learned thank you :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yeah, I intend to do some continuity checks on it. I don't think it's the bullets. If I separated the wires, I could get it to work. If I bundled them all up, all I got was stutter and a hot esc. I had shrink wrapped the connecters and put electrical tape around them.

I'm thinking there's an internal break in one of the wires, or maybe they're just poorly insulated. That last would actually explain a lot.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Inspired by sundown57, I took his plans into Illustrator and started playing with them a bit.
Here is where I am:
Slowfly 1 plans proof.jpg

Started with blowing it up to 170%. Fuse still fits on 1 sheet if placed at an angle. :) I increased the wingspan to 60". Made a few other changes. The power pod holder should be interesting. Hoping a C pack will pull it around. Plans are printed but my local Dollar Store was out of white foam! Have to go hunting after work.