what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
Sweet flight sundown! Love Air Mater. :) Sorry about the hit but it you're right about it sounding worse that it was. I was thinking on moving my powerpod forward as well on my next build. Should be easy enough to do just by moving the four tab slots on the fuse forward. I should have made various positions on the plans.
that's what I was thinking, just move the 4 slots on the fuse to the firewall lines up with the front. it sure needs more nose weight. other than that it flew great. pretty much the same as the Gigantor I made a while back. But I did learn that when doing a loop, Altitude is your friend. I'm actually digging dirt out of the BACK of the motor. It rained hard last few days to the ground is really soft and yeah I buried it big time.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The Son of Gigantor flies!

I put a 2200mAh in, and the extra weight was all she needed to get airborne. It's still not right. I think my angle of incidence is incorrect on the main wing. I've got it farther back on the fuse than it should be. I'll be looking into either moving it forward, or rigging up a way to move the battery further forward in the frame.

I may have messed up the build, but all hope is not lost! It's still possible that I can get her to fly the way she should be. :)

sundown57

Legendary member
The Son of Gigantor flies!

I put a 2200mAh in, and the extra weight was all she needed to get airborne. It's still not right. I think my angle of incidence is incorrect on the main wing. I've got it farther back on the fuse than it should be. I'll be looking into either moving it forward, or rigging up a way to move the battery further forward in the frame.

I may have messed up the build, but all hope is not lost! It's still possible that I can get her to fly the way she should be. :)
yeah, it's important that the trailing edge of the wing line up to the front notch in the fuse and the leading edge overhang the windshield. if the wing is too far back it just doesn't fly right. I'm thinking I should make the wing about an inch narrower to eliminate that problem.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
yeah, it's important that the trailing edge of the wing line up to the front notch in the fuse and the leading edge overhang the windshield. if the wing is too far back it just doesn't fly right. I'm thinking I should make the wing about an inch narrower to eliminate that problem.
That's it. My wing is flush on the front and overhangs on the back. No wonder I'm having trouble getting it to fly! I'll perform some surgery over the next few days, move the wing where it's supposed to be, and we'll see how she does. :)

James Powell

Here's the progress so far. Added some colored packing tape for looks. Wings will match the horizontal stabilizer. Can someone post pics of thebottom of the wings so I can see how it gets mounted to the fuse? Have an idea of how they get mounted, but want to make sure. Also, can someone post pics of the bottom fuse piece?
20191111_161946.jpg

sundown57

Legendary member
be sure to line up the trailing edge here and let the front overhang, too far back it doesn't fly well at all.

Attachments

• 261712_dc0e81e70791c08da44e15995bdd802b.jpg
    261712_dc0e81e70791c08da44e15995bdd802b.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
be sure to line up the trailing edge here and let the front overhang, too far back it doesn't fly well at all.
What sundown said.
Here is a shot of my overhang (that sounds wrong). The trailing edge of the wing butts up to the lead edge of the "Top Rear Fuse" as labeled in the plans.
1573521047623.png

sundown57

Legendary member
Rastersize, can't figure out where this piece goes? Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.10.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.10.23 PM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
when I decided to put that overhang on the front I was trying to make it look mean like the visor I had on my old Kenworth, but after seeing your (wall-e) and my ( Air mater ) it doesn't seem to have had the intended effect.

Fabemol9

Same plane but scaled up to 170%. Seems the bigger it gets the better it flies. This plane is much, much slower than the fish or any other plane I've tried. Super fun to fly.

Awesome!!
I need to build a slow flyer like this.. Where can I download the plans?
Thank you 🙂

daddy2times

Hello. Total newbie here (never flown a plane, yet). I built a speed build tiny trainer and it has been rainy and windy since. While waiting for weather (and time) and getting up my nerve to crash, I came across this thread and figured Wally might be an even better trainer.

Not having built anything before the tiny trainer, Wally is proving to be a pretty good challenge without laser cut parts and a nice build video. I think It's going fine so far, but now I have a question about the wing dihedral. Can anyone tell me the approximate angle? As cut out per the plans, the wing, when the two inner ends meet, naturally forms about 10°, but the wing cradle supports are about 20°.

Should I re-cut the inner wing ends to get 20°, re-cut the wing cradle supports, or just mash (match) everything together as best as possible? I'm probably going to be doing quite a bit of mashing at the park, anyway.

Thanks.
-Daniel