what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
oh ok . well the build plans so the wing offset by one inch to that's what i did now im not sure if i should center the top one or put it an inch off also

James Powell

oh ok . well the build plans so the wing offset by one inch to that's what i did now im not sure if i should center the top one or put it an inch off also
I offset them both the first time I made the biplane per the plans. They said it was to provide more lift on the left wing to counteract the torque of the motor. I ended up having to add weights at the wingtip due to too much lift on the left wing.

sundown57

Legendary member
I had an idea it was going to be too heavy on one side. I already glued the lower wing in before i thought of it so looks like i will have to planes to test fly. lol

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
After you tire of the lightweights and want a different flying experience in the same flying area you could try a TT but using the MUTTS wing which has a larger area and flaps. Being hand launched the take off is not an issue and with flaps it can come into land very slowly. As a belly lander the ground roll out is minimal.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

sundown57

Legendary member
James, wanted to thank you for the suggestion. Once it stops raining I might get to see how it flies. I modified the landing gear just a bit. the wheel pants fit perfect right up under the wing and it helps support the wing and the landing gear. it looks like a low rider but it works perfect, If I fly in a place with a runway i can wheel land it and if I use a field I can belly land it without ripping off the landing gear.

Attachments

• IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
I finally got a chance to take it out. It was super windy but still had a blast. And your right it flies just the way I wanted it to. Only problem I had is it really didn't want to turn right at all, only left. maybe that's why they offset the wing. I plan to build another one but this time offset the wing just a tad.

James Powell

I finally got a chance to take it out. It was super windy but still had a blast. And your right it flies just the way I wanted it to. Only problem I had is it really didn't want to turn right at all, only left. maybe that's why they offset the wing. I plan to build another one but this time offset the wing just a tad.

Looks great! Before you build another one I would try flying on a calm day before adjusting the wing placement on a new one.

sundown57

Legendary member
right now I'm gonna build just a single wing and just tack the wings in place enough to try it out. when I get that one right then i will try adding the second wing. I'm really not sure if I should move the wing over or not.

sundown57

Legendary member
@sundown57 - post here your progress!
so far i built one old fogey. one biplane and 2 old speedsters. The old fogey flew well till I tried landing it in the grass and with the elevator so low it pretty much tore the whole tail off. the first old speedster I must have built wrong because it was super tail heavy. the second one fly pretty well until I pulled a hard turn and up to avoid the rapidly approaching ground and the right wing folded up. The biplane has been the best so far. It took a lot to get the cg right. 12 cents to be exact. So now I'm working on making a new bi[plane but I made several changes. I added 1 inch to the front of the fuselage and power pod so i could get the weight further forward. Plus i added about 1 1/2 inches to the bottom so i can glue the wheel pants to the fuse and use a straight rod for the landing gear. it makes the landing gear a lot stronger and add very little weight.

Attachments

• IMG_3513.png
    IMG_3513.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4000.png
    IMG_4000.png
    997 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3755.png
    IMG_3755.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Hondo76251

Legendary member
The old fogey flew well till I tried landing it in the grass and with the elevator so low it pretty much tore the whole tail off. .

I've found that I get less damage to my planes if I remove the gear entirely. That also keeps the elevator out of the weeds... The drawback is you have to learn to hand launch (or have someone do it for you) but hand launching is no where near as hard as it seems. Once you have it down you can fly anywhere!

Brianna81

I've found that I get less damage to my planes if I remove the gear entirely. That also keeps the elevator out of the weeds... The drawback is you have to learn to hand launch (or have someone do it for you) but hand launching is no where near as hard as it seems. Once you have it down you can fly anywhere!

I still have yet to build anything yet, but I'm learning with my WLToys F949 as you may have seen. The landing gear on that are so cheap that the wheels barely turn at all, taking almost full power just to get it to move. So doing a ground landing or takeoff has been out of the question for this plane. I could probably use some WD-40 or other type of lubricant to loosen up the wheels, but hand launching it has just been easier so far.