what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
Were i live we simply have no large areas to fly. The largest field I have permission to use is only about 400x400 feet. and surrounded on all 4 sides by 100 foot tall ( plane hungry trees). I know cause i have feed them already. I have tried building a few different planes looking for a nice slow and low flying plane, Low because im a very inexperienced pilot and mistakes 20 feet off the ground is always fatal. Best plane i found so far is the Pietenpol. But i was wondering if anyone could suggest not only just a more suited plane but also the best setup to hold it in the air slow. Should i go with a 2200kv motor and a 6.45 prop or a 1000kv with a 9 inch prop and just dont crank the throttle up ? in other words how can i make an oldman plane ? Thanks

FastCrash45

Elite member
Were i live we simply have no large areas to fly. The largest field I have permission to use is only about 400x400 feet. and surrounded on all 4 sides by 100 foot tall ( plane hungry trees). I know cause i have feed them already. I have tried building a few different planes looking for a nice slow and low flying plane, Low because im a very inexperienced pilot and mistakes 20 feet off the ground is always fatal. Best plane i found so far is the Pietenpol. But i was wondering if anyone could suggest not only just a more suited plane but also the best setup to hold it in the air slow. Should i go with a 2200kv motor and a 6.45 prop or a 1000kv with a 9 inch prop and just dont crank the throttle up ? in other words how can i make an oldman plane ? Thanks
Sounds like the FT Old Fogey. They were flying that inside an indoor baseball diamond so it should fly nice and slow in your field.

FastCrash45

Elite member
funny that's like the only on i haven't built yet.
The video shows them just floating around so I'm pretty sure that one would do the trick. Runs on 2s I think too. I scratch built something like it but waiting for less than 20mph winds to try it. Mine has a bit more wing incidence so the throttle should make it go up or down by adjusting it. Built the wing wrong so I have some patches on the dihedral points. It'll either fly or fold lol.

OliverW

Legendary member
Highly reccomend a stevensaero kit! UMX sized and quick to build!
15565974586948361335457447057390.jpg

Spacefarer

I think a very low weight bushwacker could be the slowest, especially with larger flaps. (or flapperons) You might have to use CA instead of hot glue though.

James Powell

i like that setup. are both wings identical?
I made the top wing two inches wider in the mid section. It's a pretty slow flyer even without the top wing, but really slows down even more with it. If you decide to make it, I would recommend mounting both wings evenly from left to right. The build video from Flitetest says to mount them more to the left side to counter act the torque of the motor, but it kept making too much lift on the left causing it to want to turn right all the time.

kdobson83

Your gonna want to build as light as you can. Try the FT flyer on a 8x45 slow fly prop with a small 24gram 1300kv motor. Or the Old Fogey with the same setup. 500-800mah 3s battery. Both of which I've owned and both of which fly at a speed walk pace. Be careful tho as both have wing rock in the wind, especially the Fogey. Or, try the 3 channel Tiny Trainer on a 1806 2250kv motor with a 6x3 prop and a 500-800mah 3s. I built one a few years back and it was SUPER slow. Just finished building one for my brother and maidened it for him. I was going walking speed at knee height and it still flew good. This setup will do a bit better in the wind than the Fogey or Flyer, and you can build a 4 channel wing and fly it in larger areas if you get the chance.
Just my 2 cents. My vote, Tiny Trainer with the setup I mentioned. Use light Dollar tree foam tho, with minimal glue and it'll fly super slow.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
When you get better. The g-pig is a very slow plane. The only problem is that it brakes fairly easily. When you master 2-3 planes then that is a good model

This and the Sea Duck are nice slow flyers, but due to their size, they may be a little tight to fly in that area. That said, the field where I fly has a 600 ft runway, and I can set the Sea Duck down in less than 100 ft, sometimes in 50 ft if I have a good headwind.

I like the idea of the stevensaero or a UMX; the only downside to those is how skittish they are with any sort of wind. I know that tall trees tend to block the wind, but they can also create updraft pockets depending on how your flying area is laid out...