what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
ok, here we go. I finally got the plans printed out and cut. First thing I noticed if there is no dihedral gauge, and no step by step build video. In fact, there is not much at all on how he ran the servo pushrods, where CG is. so looks like it's going to take a bit of trial and error.

Attachments

• IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
Some times you just get lucky. Its 2 feet from cg to the tail and i wasn't sure how to run rods that long without tons of braces, and the tail is so very thin I didn't want to cut a slit in it cause there just wouldn't be anything left to hold it together, Then I remembered I had a couple of long cables with sheaths, Sure enough, they are just 24 inches. Ran them on top of the tail section, 2 spots of glue an done. The fit perfect and work great.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
yeah, I thought of that. But I've tried really hard to keep it super light. so thought id try it this way first and see what it does.

sundown57

Legendary member
Something I need to explain. I have been doing this hobby now for about 6 months and built quite a few planes during that time . most all looked great but I never really got the chance to fly any of them, Mostly due to lack of experience. Also not having any really big area to fly in didn't help. Well, anyway I was just about to give this whole thing up because I had really lost interest in building planes I knew I couldn't fly and this thread was a last-ditch effort. Well long story short, today was a perfect day for flying. No wind, nice and warm and heavy black clouds to block looking straight into the sun. So I took out the last 2 planes I had to do a maiden flight on both one day. End result is I came home with 2 planes still in tack and 2 dead batteries. It was AMAZING. not only did I regain the drive to keep chugging along. I have a renewed interest in both building and flying. So wanted to say THANK you to all that chimed in and all the help and support I have found here. If ever anyone else reads this and is thinking of giving up, DONT. I'm proof that with the support people on here it can be done. Ok, enough tear-jerking. here are just 2 of today's flights, now I'm on to build another plane. thanks all.
The first video is the fish, Second is the second Biplane I built.

James Powell

Something I need to explain. I have been doing this hobby now for about 6 months and built quite a few planes during that time . most all looked great but I never really got the chance to fly any of them, Mostly due to lack of experience. Also not having any really big area to fly in didn't help. Well, anyway I was just about to give this whole thing up because I had really lost interest in building planes I knew I couldn't fly and this thread was a last-ditch effort. Well long story short, today was a perfect day for flying. No wind, nice and warm and heavy black clouds to block looking straight into the sun. So I took out the last 2 planes I had to do a maiden flight on both one day. End result is I came home with 2 planes still in tack and 2 dead batteries. It was AMAZING. not only did I regain the drive to keep chugging along. I have a renewed interest in both building and flying. So wanted to say THANK you to all that chimed in and all the help and support I have found here. If ever anyone else reads this and is thinking of giving up, DONT. I'm proof that with the support people on here it can be done. Ok, enough tear-jerking. here are just 2 of today's flights, now I'm on to build another plane. thanks all.

Never give up on this! It's all about trial and error, and learning from it!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

Congratulations!! I'm sure after a few more flights you'll find yourself wanting to fly all the time.

sundown57

Legendary member
im using the flysky I6X and yes that was very much my problem I was always setting it at rate 70 and expo 30. the other night I glued a push rod to a servo arm and glued the servo to a piece of foam board and sat and watched what it was actually doing. I had it reversed. Plus it helped me a lot to understand rates and expos. Now I set the rate at whatever the plane calls for and set the expo up around 60-70. that helped a LOT.

Javiester

Elite member
Some times you just get lucky. Its 2 feet from cg to the tail and i wasn't sure how to run rods that long without tons of braces, and the tail is so very thin I didn't want to cut a slit in it cause there just wouldn't be anything left to hold it together, Then I remembered I had a couple of long cables with sheaths, Sure enough, they are just 24 inches. Ran them on top of the tail section, 2 spots of glue an done. The fit perfect and work great.

What are the angles of the motor?
Thank you

Javiester

Elite member
I used a A2212/13T 1000kv motor with a 10x4.5 prop so I didn't use any angle. just square mounted.

Thank you
I'm going to use the same engine as in the FT Flyer, a CF2822 1200kv with an 8x4.5 slow fly
I think it will work
my flights with the TT do not end well, with the Flyer more or less well although I have not yet landed
with the wheels
I hope the fish will help me learn alone

sundown57

Legendary member
Thank you
I'm going to use the same engine as in the FT Flyer, a CF2822 1200kv with an 8x4.5 slow fly
I think it will work
my flights with the TT do not end well, with the Flyer more or less well although I have not yet landed
with the wheels
I hope the fish will help me learn alone
The fish was good, and I did enjoy flying it. But the biplane I made out of the old Sportster is by far my favorite plane. It has taught me so much and I've really had a chance to get in some real air time.

Javiester

Elite member
The fish was good, and I did enjoy flying it. But the biplane I made out of the old Sportster is by far my favorite plane. It has taught me so much and I've really had a chance to get in some real air time.

I have also built one when watching the videos
but which is slower?
I'm very rough with sticks I need something super slow to have more response time
I'm afraid to fly it, it's been very nice

IMG_20190530_195809.jpg

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
The biplane was much slower. Do you know how to set rates and expo on your transmitter? that was my biggest mistake . I was setting it backward and every plane i flew crashed. once i got it right Its a lot easier to fly.