what is the slowest plane on FT

sundown57

Legendary member
I have been working for the last 3 weeks or so to come up with a nice, slow-flying, easy to build plane. Finally finished the plans so thought I would post them here for anyone looking for a very easy to fly a plane like I was. This has to be the best flying 3 channel I have tested yet. Please remember even though I had great results, your results may vary lol . If you have any questions about build it just ask. I have built 3 so far and all 3 flew great in a small field. it would be nice to post build progress and maiden flight in here for others to see how it comes out.

Attachments

• SOG 4.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I have been working for the last 3 weeks or so to come up with a nice, slow-flying, easy to build plane. Finally finished the plans so thought I would post them here for anyone looking for a very easy to fly a plane like I was. This has to be the best flying 3 channel I have tested yet. Please remember even though I had great results, your results may vary lol . If you have any questions about build it just ask. I have built 3 so far and all 3 flew great in a small field. it would be nice to post build progress and maiden flight in here for others to see how it comes out.

It still amazes me how such a great slow-flying plane can pull that insane loop. It really does look like a wonderful, all around flyer. It is definitely on my build list!

Congratulations on bringing your vision to reality and then plan form. (y)(y) I hope I'm not the only one who builds it and gives it a try! :)

sundown57

Legendary member
if anyone is curious , yes you can put ailerons on it and they work great. This one I scaled up to 115% so I could use a 2200 mah battery and a 10-inch prop.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.JPG
    IMG_3933.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
i tried to do a barrel roll but what that much Diehedrial and the big under cambered wing it just wouldn't do it. But it sure is fun to fly a plan you re designed and perfected.
You can get it to roll but you need to add significant rudder assistance to overcome the effect of the dihedral.

The roll will not be axial or even pretty and it may be a slow roll but it can be done easily with a little practice.

Have fun!

Piotrsko

Master member
Old trick from way back: full up stick in addition to rudder input swings tail around faster. It will roll but be really ugly.

Don't try the first one less than 5 mistakes high.

mayan

Legendary member
Same plane but scaled up to 170%. Seems the gigger it gets the better it flies. This plane is much, much slower than the fish or any other plane I've tried. Super fun to fly.

@sundown57 I am impressed actually more than that. This is by far the slowest plane I have seen what motor prop combo are you using on it?

sundown57

Legendary member
Btw. If you build it 115% or larger you can use the flitetest swappable power pod with the larger firewall. I just cut one without the tabs, build the entire plane with battery then just slide the pod back or forth till I get cg right. it's right around 5.25-5.50 inchs on a 170%build. then i just cut the tabs to fit the length.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
some more fun with a ( slow plane)

Wow! That was some crazy cool flying! Not only is your design awesome, your stick control is getting pretty darn good as well. You had some amazing saves!

The flight envelope on that plane is outstanding. It'll fly from near standstill to blurry loops. Simply impressive! (y)(y)

kilroy07

Legendary member

So, I've been looking for a nice easy flyer for my son... (the motor/battery combo is perfect!)

I checked out your plans, with your permission I'll dress them up in CAD for laser cutting, but I need at least one or two measurements to get the scale right...
I see witness marks on the 8.5x11 sheets, is that the page size, or the margin?.....

Thanks for sharing!

sundown57

Legendary member
@sundown57 - nice - are my eyes deceiving me, or is the slow flier flying faster?
I don't think its the plane, I think the old man flying it is getting braver and starting to use the throttle up stick a bit more. It's not a very big plane so I was using an 850 Mah battery but last night I tried a 2200 in it and I was very surprised, it flew better with the big battery plus I got like 12 minutes total flight time.