What is this port on the QX7?

kingstat

here is a pic of what i did and it seams to work great. i just removed the middle wire, i figured i did not need it since im useing the nimh oem bat. pack. (the green one) also when i put a volt meater to the middle wire i got nothing idk why its even there?

Do you have a link for where I could get the connector that fits into the charging port on the transmitter?

alfaone

it came in the box with it. i did a quick search and dont seem to be able to find it by itself, if u would like i could take a close up shot of the one side. the other side is a 2s balance plug. i thought i came across it in my search but cant find it again maybe its too new, idk.

kingstat

Well I dug through the box and found there was a cable in there. I've ordered a charger that can do NiMH, so I should be good to go. Thanks though.

alfaone

ok great, im glad u found it. it sux that after u order and get ur radio then u have to figure out what battery and charger to get it going but i guess thats what makes the price what it is. Any way im loving mine so far so much better than the lame, crappy one, i was using before.

CTR

Needed to get a backup TX for my 9+ (broke the momentary switch at the last comp’ which nearly grounded me for the rest of the day).
Liked the grip on my mates Q-X7 which is a great help with F3K (DLG launching ) so I got one. It has the 3 pin side port on it, but like others have seen, no info about it!
Opened up the TX and metered the connections. The pins go direct to the battery + and - . The right-most pin (looking from the front of the TX is the -ve and the left pin is the +ve. Middle pin appears to be OC, I.e. no connection, as does the middle pin of the battery connector.
My thoughts are to link the middle pins of each connector together. This will bring a LiPo/LiFe balance connection out to the external contacts This will enable balance charging of the LiPo without disconnecting it.
For interest, the external connector is a Molex 2543 3 way locking PCB connector, for those wanting to make up a special charging lead.

CTR

I understand where you’re coming from..
Two things to take into consideration:
1/ Battery chargers have come a long way in recent years. I personally haven’t witnessed, or known of ‘first hand’ any battery fires where 1C or less charging rates were used with the correct charger. With a good quality charger there is a very low risk, but as with all things, there is a risk!
2/ The connectors used for TX battery connections are not normally designed to take frequent connect/disconnect cycles over long periods of time. Their use on batteries is considered acceptable due to the relatively short cycle life of the batteries (in the hundreds) which are considered as a consumable; whereas the TX Is a long life expectancy item. With this in mind, when frequently removing batteries from the TX, it may be a good idea to make up a short jump lead to connect between the battery connector of the TX and the battery. This way, the TX connector can remain connected to the jumper lead; resulting in the battery to jump lead connection taking the multiple disconnect cycles. This lead can then be replaced as a regular maintenance job maybe annually or less frequently if you’re more of a casual flyer.
Just my thoughts.

CTR

I can fully understand how your experience has formed your safe habit, and respect your mode of operation. Car racing can be harsh environment for batteries!
Coiled up power leads in use and overcharging batteries are crazy things to do, but lots of people do it in ignorance of the risks.
Happy flying.

pinoymeme

64644332_2102481550056935_2415113479804420096_n.jpg
64240696_2102481623390261_5048789397101608960_n.jpg

I put a jumper wires between middle pins to allow me to balance my lipo battery inside. and i also modded my cable so i can use my b6 charger. taking out batteries in tx is a huge PITA. so far no magic smoke!

token916

here is a pic of what i did and it seams to work great. i just removed the middle wire, i figured i did not need it since im useing the nimh oem bat. pack. (the green one) also when i put a volt meater to the middle wire i got nothing idk why its even there?
so all i have to do is wire the plug that came with the qx7 to a xt60 and i can charge nimh on my isdt q7 without removing the batteries from tx?

MorningViewFPV

the frsky guys at flite fest told me i could charge my qx7s batts in the radio...i was like why in the hell would i do that? seems like it is asking for fire imo.

alfaone

thats what i did but i used a deans connector so i could use my imax b6 mini. minus the middle wire since there is no ballancing nimh. mine has been working for a long while now with no problems.
so all i have to do is wire the plug that came with the qx7 to a xt60 and i can charge nimh on my isdt q7 without removing the batteries from tx?