What is this port on the QX7?

Mode 1

ok.. I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question.. but.. Does anyone know what this port does?
port.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am not familiar with the Qx7 but I know you can go to frsky and download the off manual

I do recall early reviews with some kind of wierd charging system. That maybe the plug for that before they had various battery options.

Mode 1

I am not familiar with the Qx7 but I know you can go to frsky and download the off manual

I do recall early reviews with some kind of wierd charging system. That maybe the plug for that before they had various battery options.

Psy. Thanks for the reply. Yes. I did download the manual and it's not listed anywhere in the manual.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
my qx7 doesn't have that port.... I do have a spare, new in box qx7 that is newer. You have me curious now. May need to go take a look.

Mode 1

my qx7 doesn't have that port.... I do have a spare, new in box qx7 that is newer. You have me curious now. May need to go take a look.

That would be interesting.. I took delivery of mine about a month ago.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
As PsyBorg stated, its a charging port for the battery. Just pulled up the manual and found a section on it. Not sure how to use it, must have to buy some special charger from Frsky? I just use a 2s lipo in mine.

Attachments

• battery port.PNG
    battery port.PNG
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

Mode 1

Good find! My manual doesn't have that, nor did the one I pulled up online. I bought the frysky rechargeable battery for mine and the charger. However, the charger doesn't have a cord for this port, I have to take the battery out of the radio to charge it.

ozaka23

my new qx7 have that too and i'm still wondering if the ground pin and the 3.3v pin in the battery port is swapped or not

does anyone know or can anyone tell me ?

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
It is a charging port that was added fairly recently. You can use the FrSky QS-7S charger (Q X7 FCX07 Li/NiMH Dual Mode Charge) with it but you need a special cable. I'm not clear if the charger comes with the cable. May depend if it is old stock since the older Q-X7S TXs did not have this port either.

If you are in the US, Aloft has a NiMH only version ...

https://alofthobbies.com/nimh-charger-for-the-qx7s.html

You can use with their battery ...

https://alofthobbies.com/72v-2600-aa-nimh-qx7-transmitter-pack.html

I don't have these so just pointing it out.

Personally I'm not a fan of this port since it has exposed pins which in theory expose the battery terminals and are potentially a shorting risk. There may be a protection circuit that prevents that but I think FrSky should have provided a cover and I would tape over it when not using it.

wcallaghan

my qx7 came with a cable for that port. i plugged in 2s lipo and tried to use cell checker with the provided cable only to receive an error message. multimeter shows that the pins are connected to eachother in the internal battery port and that one on the outside of the tx acting exactly like a extension cable for the balance plug. i don't know what gives but i wasn't able to recharge my battery with regular lipo charger

pressalltheknobs

It is not a balance charge port. I don't have one but as far as I know the center pin is not connected. You have to use the FrSky charger. Possibly it would work to use a non balance mode on a smart charger but you will need to keep the current low.

pressalltheknobs

Yeah, you would think. Theoretically, balance charging 2S Lipos is less critical than higher cell counts particularly for high quality low discharge rate batteries but it's not a "good" idea.

However the stock battery is NiMH and that is what the new charger they sell is for...
https://alofthobbies.com/nimh-charger-for-the-qx7s.html
I don't know if a new QX7S's comes with that but it may

Previously you had to unplug the battery to use the FCX07 charger so it could be a design change and a phase out of the FCX07. If you want to use a Lipo you are on your own...how it was with the X9D and how it should be imo.

After the really good decisions FrSky made with the orignal X9D battery and charger setup, they have made a number of missteps with that aspect of their TXs from non removeable to misusing USB B to using and unpopular size of LIon to making a charge port with exposed pins and no cover...so possibly they are still confused on this issue or have decided to return to the basics...just speculation on my part. If it is a return to basics that is a good thing imo. Trying to respond to customer demands for this aspect is a fools errand. Just enabling the TX to be powered from any resaonable battery by giving it a good voltage regulator and some reverse polarity protection and a large battery bay with an included NiMH battery and charger good for most people as was done on the X9D is a good solution and they should just have stuck with it.

slipshift

I have a QX7 and got the charging jack and battery from Aloft Hobbies. With this setup I can use my iMAX B6 charger, set to NIMH, and it will charge and shut off automatically.

Jim

slipshift

If you already have a smart charger you don't need the kit, just the harness for $2.50. The jacks for the plugs can be bought cheap and can be soldered to the proper plug for the charger.

Jim

Cle

Hy Jim,
Can you charge the NiMH battery internally with the Imax B6 through the plug. Or do you have to remove the battery from the Taranis?

slipshift

You just need to make an adapter wire from the output to the charging jack. I have the B6 also, Just set it for NIMH (if you have a NIMH) and the mah of the battery and it will charge and shut off automatically. I used to use a LIPO but didn't like the TX sitting around with the battery installed.

Jim

alfaone

here is a pic of what i did and it seams to work great. i just removed the middle wire, i figured i did not need it since im useing the nimh oem bat. pack. (the green one) also when i put a volt meater to the middle wire i got nothing idk why its even there?

Attachments

• charge idea that works.JPG
    charge idea that works.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 0