What Is This??

Buttered Cat

Wandering around the internet I found this.
Any idea what it is?
tandem_krasiv.jpg

Buttered Cat

The wing is often referred to as a diamond wing, box wing, or closed wing. Haven't seen the one you posted but here is an example of another, just doesn't have the v-tail.

DamoRC
Very interesting. Not sure I agree with everything he says, although reading the 'With Hindsight' section, neither does he!

Certainly an interesting concept though. Something to be explored with an RC model.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wandering around the internet I found this.
Any idea what it is?
View attachment 118658
The rear landing gear, the cockpit shape and the bent shape of the fuselage are all glider design. The nose seems to be pointed like there is a propeller, though. Judging by the funky curvature of the main wing, I'd say the wing is deforming as a control surface.

My VERY uneducated guess? I'd say it's experimental, maybe with some Photoshop thrown in. That right wing tip just isn't right. Heck, the more I look at the image, the more the whole thing looks digitally produced.

I'm thinking it's a fake. The whole plane. Not real.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The rear landing gear, the cockpit shape and the bent shape of the fuselage are all glider design. The nose seems to be pointed like there is a propeller, though. Judging by the funky curvature of the main wing, I'd say the wing is deforming as a control surface.

My VERY uneducated guess? I'd say it's experimental, maybe with some Photoshop thrown in. That right wing tip just isn't right. Heck, the more I look at the image, the more the whole thing looks digitally produced.

I'm thinking it's a fake. The whole plane. Not real.

Although I wish it was real I too am beginning to think it could be fake. Spent too much time last night hunting this down ("must....solve....puzzle") including image searches, all kinds of variotions on box wing, closed wing, diamond wing, an multiple tail number searches. Nada.

DamoRC

L Edge

Master member
NASA is exploring planes of the future and this was one of the concepts(where is the wing tip dealing with stall) being looked at. Another is the blended wing body and if you look at past "Aviation Weeks", all different types and unique designs are being looked at to reduce drag .

TerrorDactyl

I remember a box wing plane article in either AMA or Popular Science that was of a full scale that had flown a couple of times but due to some mid air failure it crashed and the pilot did not survive (Probably PS).
Seeing the video I thought of a bird I could try with the lower wing swept forward and the upper swept backwards. That brings the question would the CG be in the middle of the two wings front to back?

TerrorDactyl

There was a real plane and I saw an article that had pics of the pilot with the plane, but as his widow reported at the end of the article that she knew that her hubby would want refinements to continue.