What is this?

richb2599

Does anyone out there know what this is? it's 3" long made of stainless steel.
IMG_0376.jpg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
1) It looks like a small spoon for measuring small quantiles. It probably came out of an old pharmacy.

2) It looks like a clay sculpting tool. It probably came from an old sculptor.

3) It looks like the tool my grandpa used to dig the eyes out of potatoes. He would take a sack of potatoes, dig the eyes out and then plant them in the garden. He said it was just the right size to ensure good germination. It's missing the wooden handle. It probably came from an old gardener.

Last edited:

richb2599

1) It looks like a small spoon for measuring small quantiles. It probably came out of an old pharmacy.

3) It looks like the tool my grandpa used to dig the eyes out of potatoes. He would take a sack of potatoes, dig the eyes out and then plant them in the garden. He said it was just the right size to ensure good germination. It's missing the wooden handle. It probably came from an old gardener.
Wow, that’s great. I’ll go with the potato eye digger!

Brett_N

It's a "curette" - AKA surgical scraping spoon.

AS your friend said, not "exactly" for our hobby, but, neither are dental picks and those come in handy all the time.

These are used by balsa builders to scrape blocks to shape.

shadeyB

Legendary member
1)

It’s a type of sculpting tool typically used in clay however they all come in many forms, singular and double ended
A lot of the metal style tools are used in candle (Wax) carving , also soft wood carving
I have a large selection of these I use for Fat Sculpting

Attachments

• EE00997D-1013-4416-8515-42A09FEA1A8E.jpeg
    EE00997D-1013-4416-8515-42A09FEA1A8E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 94F526C7-5F7B-4641-8308-E6193FB85DBC.jpeg
    94F526C7-5F7B-4641-8308-E6193FB85DBC.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It’s a type of sculpting tool typically used in clay however they all come in many forms, singular and double ended
A lot of the metal style tools are used in candle (Wax) carving , also soft wood carving
I have a large selection of these I use for Fat Sculpting
The second pic. It disturbs me. I'm ex-military. That soldier just saw or heard something that seriously scared the crap out him, but he's got to deal with it anyway. Or else he's just been told to dig a latrine. That's good art! :love:

Piotrsko

Master member
That's how a lot of us looked getting orders (station reassignment to you civilians) back in the day. Latrine duty was better.