What is your favoite tool in your tool box?

Seahunter

I've got a lot of favorite tools, but I haven't seen this one mentioned yet:

Simple but effective, it cuts a perfect width channel for a A/B fold. If you don't have one of these yet, just remove the paper from a scrap foam piece and glue some blades on. It's a game changer for nice square builds.

I went back to the old threads remembering this trick, tried it and it works great!:) Thanks evranch!

Keno

I went back to the old threads remembering this trick, tried it and it works great!:) Thanks evranch!
I see we are still building, finally got all my checks ups done and I will have to live with it, as they can't fix it. I just can't walk as far as I wish anymore. I have been to active here with only occasional comment here and there. I see you have the T50 listed, how did that turnout? I have been trying my hand a printed planes using LabPrint plans, problems weight, warping and can be kind of "brittle" bud they look great until you leave one in a hot vehicle. The 3d printer is a great tool as you can make all kinds of parts that took hours to "whittle" out before. Cowlings, canopies, guns you name it. Hey, take care and PM me when you can, the corvid has not found me as of yet.

checkerboardflyer

My favorite new tool is the hot wire table. It comes with a miter to make nice, square cuts. And there are accessories available to make some tasks easier. Mine is a Hercules but there is another called the Proxxon. And there may be others. More tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• wing slat - 1.jpeg
    wing slat - 1.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 0
  • shifting lands angle cutter - 2.jpeg
    shifting lands angle cutter - 2.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 0
  • shifting lands angle cutter - 1.jpeg
    shifting lands angle cutter - 1.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0

Pieliker96

Elite member
There's always my scratchbuilt laser "cutter" which has seen use ever since late 2017 (more details here), but that's to be expected.
168716_687571d2f9b666f791f2b432934070ca.jpg

Recently I've found a good pair of adjustable vise-grip pliers and a quality set of files to be indispensable. The former, for being able to hold on to things without having to exert pressure like traditional pliers - these are exceptionally useful in holding bullet connectors and other bits when soldering, holding the nuts on to the back of retract mounting plates while working blind inside the inlet duct, and crimping and crushing stuff with their compound mechanical advantage. The files have proven useful for enlarging and moving the locations of holes in plastic parts such as retract units, removing sharp burrs on small metal parts, and fine-tuning fits between wooden parts.
20201228_205353_HDR.jpg

There's always my scratchbuilt laser "cutter" which has seen use ever since late 2017 (more details here), but that's to be expected.
View attachment 187333

Recently I've found a good pair of adjustable vise-grip pliers and a quality set of files to be indispensable. The former, for being able to hold on to things without having to exert pressure like traditional pliers - these are exceptionally useful in holding bullet connectors and other bits when soldering, holding the nuts on to the back of retract mounting plates while working blind inside the inlet duct, and crimping and crushing stuff with their compound mechanical advantage. The files have proven useful for enlarging and moving the locations of holes in plastic parts such as retract units, removing sharp burrs on small metal parts, and fine-tuning fits between wooden parts.
View attachment 187336
If we were neighbors I'd steal your files.

(Just kidding! But I'd be just as jealous as I am right now.)

checkerboardflyer

Just began using a Cricut Vinyl Cutter. I made the lettering on the wing using it. But it can do a lot more than lettering. The thing that surprised me was how detailed the cuts can be. The third pic is a painting stencil cut from card stock using the Cricut. It's a toaster and the plan is to add wings at some point. More resources for foamboard R/C modelers at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-cricut cutter and wing - 2.jpeg
    1-cricut cutter and wing - 2.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-cricut cutter and wing - 1.jpeg
    2-cricut cutter and wing - 1.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-cricut cutter stencil - 1.jpeg
    3-cricut cutter stencil - 1.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've got a lot of favorite tools, but I haven't seen this one mentioned yet:

Simple but effective, it cuts a perfect width channel for a A/B fold. If you don't have one of these yet, just remove the paper from a scrap foam piece and glue some blades on. It's a game changer for nice square builds.
Since seeing your post I've made 3 of these, one with a blade on one side and some card stock on the other for doing edges. Thanks!

Battery800

Elite member
I use a small pin wrapped in sugru in the shape of my fingers for comfort when tracing out plans, a cobalt box cutter, a xacto blade, ruler, good set of pliers and a surebonder hot glue gun. My favorite is the pin because it would normally dig into my finger after a wile, but the rubber coating makes it bearable

Jade_Monkey07

My favorite tool is my camper van. It's my mobile workshop. Solar panel system and an inverter means I can fix anything anywhere. Broken wire? Solder it. Bad crash? Hot glue gun is ready to go. Long day at the field? Grab a nap on the couch.
Cold drinks from the fridge, check. Just need it to build the planes for me next.

Keno

Add a good scraper to your the list. Easy to make take utility knife blade and rub the sharp edge at a 45 degree angle on a polished steel item to bend the edge over. Great for scraping of those strings and other imperfection of your 3D print.

randyrls

Randy
Recently I've found a good pair of adjustable vise-grip pliers

I've found the "CH Hanson Pliers" don't have that stupid screw on the end. You set the grip strength with a screw in the center of the pliers, and the jaws open wide. Squeezing down grips whatever is in the jaws at the strength set by the screw. No fiddlin' with that screw on the size of the object in the jaws.

I've found the "CH Hanson Pliers" don't have that stupid screw on the end. You set the grip strength with a screw in the center of the pliers, and the jaws open wide. Squeezing down grips whatever is in the jaws at the strength set by the screw. No fiddlin' with that screw on the size of the object in the jaws.
Like. (y)
Adding a pic is good too!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
My fav tool is a lighter., you know a fire lighter.... And a hot glue stick... The fire lighter is for Melting the hot glue to repair planes right on the field.

nymtber

3D printer here, as well.

Control horns, firewalls, and any other part you might want. My mini-scout has 3D printed "engines" and a low-poly squirrel as pilot, both from thingiverse. Also I designed my own axle locks for the landing gear, secured with hot glue. The squirrel took a few tries to get the right scaling to make it fit and look right :) Completely silly, but fun!

My other planes were scratch built. No need to cut out thin plywood, just fire up the Ender 3.

Second is the pin vise to widen holes in said 3D printed objects :D

checkerboardflyer

Maybe not my favorite tool, but one that comes in handy, the Logan Foam Werks Circle Cutter. I needed to mount struts on my Jupiter Duck wing. So I made 2" foam circles, then glued in plywood control horns. And I used CF tubes with piano wire ends. Seems to be a good solution. And I used the Circle Cutter to make some wheels. Used some rubber rings for tires and added some decoration. More tips for foam board R/C modelers at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-jupiter duck struts - 4.jpeg
    1-jupiter duck struts - 4.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-jupiter duck struts - 1.jpeg
    2-jupiter duck struts - 1.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-jupiter duck struts - 2.jpeg
    3-jupiter duck struts - 2.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-jupiter duck foam discs - 1.jpeg
    4-jupiter duck foam discs - 1.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5-foam wheels with decorations - 1.jpeg
    5-foam wheels with decorations - 1.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • foam wheels with circle cutter - 1.jpeg
    foam wheels with circle cutter - 1.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
My favorite tool is my camper van. It's my mobile workshop. Solar panel system and an inverter means I can fix anything anywhere. Broken wire? Solder it. Bad crash? Hot glue gun is ready to go. Long day at the field? Grab a nap on the couch.
Cold drinks from the fridge, check. Just need it to build the planes for me next.
I personally require a bathroom more than the couch, it's a diabetes drug thing, hourly like clockwork.