What is Your Go-To, Any Occasion Electric Foamy?

Vimana89

Legendary member
It could be any size, and any type of foam, whether DTFB, Depron, or other fancy hobby grade foam. It could be an FT kit, some other type of retail kit, DTFB scratch plan builds or customs designs, as long as it is foam and electric. "Any occasion" does not necessarily mean any weather, "calm day" fliers are more than welcome if you fly them often enough. The main question is, what is the electric foam plane you are so comfortable with you can just send it any time and fly it well without really trying hard, but is still interesting enough that you thoroughly enjoy the experience? The plane you reach for when you just can't decide which plane to fly and just want to have fun?

OliverW

Legendary member
It could be any size, and any type of foam, whether DTFB, Depron, or other fancy hobby grade foam. It could be an FT kit, some other type of retail kit, DTFB scratch plan builds or customs designs, as long as it is foam and electric. "Any occasion" does not necessarily mean any weather, "calm day" fliers are more than welcome if you fly them often enough. The main question is, what is the electric foam plane you are so comfortable with you can just send it any time and fly it well without really trying hard, but is still interesting enough that you thoroughly enjoy the experience? The plane you reach for when you just can't decide which plane to fly and just want to have fun?
I typically go for my FMS MXS or E-flite valiant

Vimana89

Legendary member
I typically go for my FMS MXS or E-flite valiant
Those are both good looking planes, though I wasn't entirely familiar with them right off the bat. The Valiant seems really reasonably priced for a retail foamy. I could have got that and all the accessories for it for what I spent on my Champ and that Sky King turd I bought before that in my early training days. Excellent choices(y).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's mine. The Arrowhead would be a close second along with my four wing plane prototype, but the FT DR1 takes the cake. Thanks FT for this little gem👍

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I have a few FT style builds that have served me very well, and a few more soon to be in the works that I hope to get some good frequent use out of, but as a day to day, throw a battery in whenever, it's any one of my EPP rc converted chuck gliders. I beat the snot out of them and they so seldom need a repair that almost by default they are the spur of the moment bird of choice...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I kinda go through the planes, but I’ll say it’s probably the bushwacker at the moment. I haven’t flown it recently, but then I haven’t been flying much of anything recently...

K3V0

Elite member
For me, my extended wing TT has been unkillable. It’s been on some road trips and made it home to fly again. Dinged wings and broken tail boom it just keeps going. I want those parts for other planes but it just goes and goes😠. I do like flying the mini mustang, but I have to rebuild them more frequently. It is more sporty than the TT but then I get into more trouble 😉

OliverW

Legendary member
Those are both good looking planes, though I wasn't entirely familiar with them right off the bat. The Valiant seems really reasonably priced for a retail foamy. I could have got that and all the accessories for it for what I spent on my Champ and that Sky King turd I bought before that in my early training days. Excellent choices(y).
I love both of them and the mxs fills my XA and 3D addiction
20200102_125221.jpg
20191225_123921.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That is a good question! I fly almost anything in almost any weather, (when it's not raining), nowadays!

My planes get grabbed on the way out of the door depending on how long it has been since I used a particular size battery, (I try to rotate them through the planes).
850 3S means my FB Quick Trick
1250 3S means my FB KFM wing
1500 3S means my FB TFW
2200 3S means my FB Das ugly Stick.

Of course I also sometimes grab a retail foamy, (MXS, FW190 A8, HaiKong Extra 300, Trojan, and the list goes on), but then they are restricted to better weather days!

Have fun!

OliverW

Legendary member
That is a good question! I fly almost anything in almost any weather, (when it's not raining), nowadays!

My planes get grabbed on the way out of the door depending on how long it has been since I used a particular size battery, (I try to rotate them through the planes).
850 3S means my FB Quick Trick
1250 3S means my FB KFM wing
1500 3S means my FB TFW
2200 3S means my FB Das ugly Stick.

Of course I also sometimes grab a retail foamy, (MXS, FW190 A8, HaiKong Extra 300, Trojan, and the list goes on), but then they are restricted to better weather days!

Have fun!
Ah so you have the rochobby one too? Mxs I mean

quorneng

Master member
My "go to" is also my oldest (10 years!). A highly modified Artech Wing Dragon 4.
Picture5.JPG

Considerably lighter and less wing area than the original along with fully proportional flaps it can be flown in any conditions I want to fly in!
Passably aerobatic and as a bonus with a touch of flap it thermals pretty well too.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What I have flown more than anything else is the RMRC Nano Skyhunter FPV style. It's a cheap EPP kit and so far I've only completely destroyed one. (merged parts from two to make one) I have two now, 1 raw RC, the other I've been playing with iNav. I have also been playing around with a Strix Nano Goblin which is a sub 250g EPP plank that gets close to an hour of modest flying fpv from a 2 cell 18650 pack. Neither are great to FPV in windy conditions, but I have bigger things and quads for challenging conditions.
NanoBuddies.jpg

NSHbenchTest.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have also been playing around with a Strix Nano Goblin which is a sub 250g EPP plank that gets close to an hour of modest flying fpv from a 2 cell 18650 pack. Neither are great to FPV in windy conditions, but I have bigger things and quads for challenging conditions.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Nano Goblin is one of my favorites right now as well - nice small size, easy to throw in the trunk and go. I actually packed it and took it with me to AZ last year to fly, and had a blast with it!

My other favorite go-to is the UMX Timber. It's another small park flyer plane, easy to fly just about anywhere, and with the short takeoff/landing capabilities, it doesn't require a huge runway area. It's not perfect (in windy conditions, it's a nightmare to fly because it gets blown all over the place) but it's one of my favorite planes, hands down.