What is your REAL job?

Grauwulf

I've done a huge variety of jobs through the years, some tech, some sales, but primarily in the automotive and transportation industries. I currently work for a large Class 1 railroad in the Bridges and Structures department.

Supe

Ah, I'm just a crappy car and airplane tech at the local hobby shop. No certifications or special abilities here, unless making people happy and wanting to come back to our store is one of those two :)

Jugsy

Certificates/Diplomas in Horticulture and IT, also done my duty in the Hospitality industry. I'm now working as a Systems Administrator at one of the largest datacentres in my area. Funds the hobby quite well but 12 hour shifts don't leave a lot of time for quick flights in between.

Currently looking/dreaming for a way to make a living from my true passion, RC flight. The AP/mapping industry seems pretty crowded, hoping I can come up with something community based, but would honestly be very happy in retail.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ah, I'm just a crappy car and airplane tech at the local hobby shop. No certifications or special abilities here, unless making people happy and wanting to come back to our store is one of those two :)
Aww, don't play down an honest job that contributes to the overall good for honest pay while many others either can't or won't. And certainly there is value in serving people with quality that makes them want to return. Life is all about relationships. The rest is just details.

Geena

I`m a certified aircraft welder for a local aircraft manufacturer. As far as I know, I`m the only female welder in our county.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My mother has often shared about the challenges of working in a factory as the first woman inspector with many who saw her as incapable merely because she's a woman. That was about 3 decades ago.

Would you mind offering a glimpse from your perspective of the current state of attitudes?

I trust you will be welcome in this (male dominated) forum.
—Jim

Geena

When I first entered the trade back in the early 80s, I had to prove myself over and over again. It seemed as though I had to work four times harder, to get the same respect that the men received...just for showing up with their gear.

Today, that`s not the case. The times and attitudes have changed, and now I am just a welder. Instead of "that woman welder" as I was sometimes called. Now I work with a bunch of really good guys who treat me as an equal, and not as a threat or novelty like some have done in the past.

Most people now are intrigued with how and why I got into welding, and are usually very eager to hear all about it. I really love what I do, and I can`t see myself doing anything else.

Another IT nerd here. Two letters, many hats. I run a Cisco VOIP system, network, do desktop support, Linux, Windows, occasionally Mac, cell phone support, and repair when some genius breaks the screen on their brand new iPhone two weeks after they get it, PC support and repair, Printer support repair, phone support for remote sites, POS support for stores, etc... You name it, I've probably had to figure it out at some point in the last 10 years.

I support about 180 users at a distribution center/call center/supply chain management for a large battery company. But we don't do LiPOs for some reason. :( We've got a nice big yard out front that they let me fly in though, so that's where you'll usually find me if it's a slow day, or at lunch time. That yard also has a disc golf course. Hard decision sometimes... I'm occasionally allowed to fly smaller stuff in the warehouse too.

elw773

I'm in high school studying to be an engineer (hopefully), and my job is mowing the lawn and cleaning toilets is my house.

Ross

Another IT nerd here. Two letters, many hats. I run a Cisco VOIP system, network, do desktop support, Linux, Windows, occasionally Mac, cell phone support, and repair when some genius breaks the screen on their brand new iPhone two weeks after they get it, PC support and repair, Printer support repair, phone support for remote sites, POS support for stores, etc... You name it, I've probably had to figure it out at some point in the last 10 years.

I support about 180 users at a distribution center/call center/supply chain management for a large battery company. But we don't do LiPOs for some reason. :( We've got a nice big yard out front that they let me fly in though, so that's where you'll usually find me if it's a slow day, or at lunch time. That yard also has a disc golf course. Hard decision sometimes... I'm occasionally allowed to fly smaller stuff in the warehouse too.

Your job description sounds a lot like mine back in the 90's and up until 05. I was in the paging industry back when it was the primary messaging service. Glad I retired in 05, end users can be trying at times. IT dude at the Corporate office for Arch Wireless.

Your job description sounds a lot like mine back in the 90's and up until 05. I was in the paging industry back when it was the primary messaging service. Glad I retired in 05, end users can be trying at times. IT dude at the Corporate office for Arch Wireless.

As I often reply to people that ask about my job; It seems like I'm either sitting around twiddling my thumbs, or trying to run in twelve different directions at once. Rarely ever anything in between.

Ross

I spent those down times trying to stay ahead of the tech curve, things change so fast since the early 90's. Maybe that's why I received a very nice paycheck? LOL And I did play a lot of golf too

youbecha

I have been reading a few pages of these...a wide variety of job choices, with the common bond of RC acft.

As for me I get paid to fly airplanes for a living...been doing that since 1988.

The RC airplane thing is interesting to me because although I know flying...some of the RC flying is a completely different skill set. Aerodynamics are aerodynamics...but the control system is the challenge to me.

The Alpine Ace

I'm 18, I am a Engineer at Pedestal CEO. Pretty boring products but I get to use solidworks on a daily basis...so it's fun. Going on an LDS Mission to South Africa for two years in October, then going to Utah State University to major in Aerospace/Astrological Engineering.

AlternateSource

Flite Fest is sooo close!
Will be a Junior in high school this fall.
Will be attending Columbus State for aviation maintenance in the fall.
I work part time at Subway.
I referee youth soccer.
I have a job at my church managing the setup and take down of seating for services.