What is your REAL job?

Planiac01

I'm a high school student, but I work as a cook at Panera Bread and I have applies to NC State, Clemson, GA Tech, VA Tech, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Vanderbilt, and Washington University in St. Louis. Wish me luck!

jfaleo1

Just curious about the background of other folks out there.

A&P Mechanic on Beechcraft and Cessna Business aircraft, and Maintenance instructor on the Citation X, III / VI / VII, Sovereign, Latitude, and CJ series (27 years total). I raised parrots of various sizes and types for 25 years, including a stint as the President of the International Parrotlet Society. So if it can fly it is a big part of my life.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
In my case it is a matter of what WAS/WERE my job/s!

Ex military trained in Electronics and communications, Long time WiFi engineer, Cisco CCNA, IUWNE, and also trained/qualified in the various disciplines of welding. Model aircraft design has been my hobby for over half my life though only recently I finally got to fly them myself!

Have fun!

Chuppster

In my case it is a matter of what WAS/WERE my job/s!

Ex military trained in Electronics and communications, Long time WiFi engineer, Cisco CCNA, IUWNE, and also trained/qualified in the various disciplines of welding. Model aircraft design has been my hobby for over half my life though only recently I finally got to fly them myself!

Have fun!

When you say "WiFi Engineer," do you mean installer/consultant or part of the group that developed 802.11?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When you say "WiFi Engineer," do you mean installer/consultant or part of the group that developed 802.11?
A project manager. system designer, Installer, and even service technician. My Wireless involvement started in 1994 when NCR released wireless networking to the world. From there I gained support qualifications from NCR, AT&T, Lucent, Proxim, Cisco and a multitude of lesser known manufacturers. Provided some design assistance to 3Com in Aus. Was a core design leader during the introduction of the introduction of WiFi to schools in my home state, (The smart School Program).
Also designed in wide area outdoor WLAN installations, (using solar RAPS), to overlay open cut coal mines and the implementation of wireless VOIP telephony. Leaky feeder cable installations of WLAN for underground mines and sensitive/restricted area WLAN installations. Heck if they wanted to do it I was designing and building the systems to enable it!

The above list is not complete as there are aspects of the systems including lightning protection systems which I have not listed. My designs were meant to be, and were turnkey.

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
A project manager. system designer, Installer, and even service technician. My Wireless involvement started in 1994 when NCR released wireless networking to the world. From there I gained support qualifications from NCR, AT&T, Lucent, Proxim, Cisco and a multitude of lesser known manufacturers. Provided some design assistance to 3Com in Aus. Was a core design leader during the introduction of the introduction of WiFi to schools in my home state, (The smart School Program).
Also designed in wide area outdoor WLAN installations, (using solar RAPS), to overlay open cut coal mines and the implementation of wireless VOIP telephony. Leaky feeder cable installations of WLAN for underground mines and sensitive/restricted area WLAN installations. Heck if they wanted to do it I was designing and building the systems to enable it!

The above list is not complete as there are aspects of the systems including lightning protection systems which I have not listed. My designs were meant to be, and were turnkey.

Have fun!

That's awesome Hai-Lee. I kinda wish I was blessed to experience that like you were but I was a little late to the game. I graduated my college with a B.S. in Computer Networking and got my CCNA about the same time (2006). Had the hardest time getting work b/c of my lack of experience. It's like "Hello, I'm here to gain some experience to make use of my education." But alas, things just didn't quite pan out. Ended up finally getting some sort of IT job as a computer tech and now I am doing report writing, end user software support, and some database work. Along the way I had dabbled with some other parts of our systems where I work...done some networking, IP phone systems, security cameras, wireless access points (both long range and smaller short range), etc. I had 3 certifications in my heyday...A+, Network+, and CCNA...all of which have expired. I learned later that CompTIA was no longer a "for life" certification and would need renewed too. I probably could've utilized my Cisco knowledge more where I work...BUT certain folks didn't want to give that up. :rolleyes:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's awesome Hai-Lee. I kinda wish I was blessed to experience that like you were but I was a little late to the game. I graduated my college with a B.S. in Computer Networking and got my CCNA about the same time (2006). Had the hardest time getting work b/c of my lack of experience. It's like "Hello, I'm here to gain some experience to make use of my education." But alas, things just didn't quite pan out. Ended up finally getting some sort of IT job as a computer tech and now I am doing report writing, end user software support, and some database work. Along the way I had dabbled with some other parts of our systems where I work...done some networking, IP phone systems, security cameras, wireless access points (both long range and smaller short range), etc. I had 3 certifications in my heyday...A+, Network+, and CCNA...all of which have expired. I learned later that CompTIA was no longer a "for life" certification and would need renewed too. I probably could've utilized my Cisco knowledge more where I work...BUT certain folks didn't want to give that up. :rolleyes:
My story is a little reverse in that I had a great deal of microwave experience including all aspects of radio wave propagation. I trained a team of persons to replace me and thereby made myself redundant. To add to the WiFi experience/qualifications I was also qualified on microwave, and laser communication linking equipments from numerous different manufacturers with the laser systems at the time capable of upto 1GHz FD. Then add fibre optic qualifications including WDM in all its various flavours, I was definitely in deep.

I sometimes feel that I am the oldest and most highly qualified person on unemployment in my area!

Have fun and if you want it you really have to chase it!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I have two part time jobs not including being a high school student. I work in metal fabrication and more recently I am a consultant for a VR arcade startup.

basslord1124

Master member
My story is a little reverse in that I had a great deal of microwave experience including all aspects of radio wave propagation. I trained a team of persons to replace me and thereby made myself redundant. To add to the WiFi experience/qualifications I was also qualified on microwave, and laser communication linking equipments from numerous different manufacturers with the laser systems at the time capable of upto 1GHz FD. Then add fibre optic qualifications including WDM in all its various flavours, I was definitely in deep.

I sometimes feel that I am the oldest and most highly qualified person on unemployment in my area!

Have fun and if you want it you really have to chase it!

Ah I see. That's cool. Definitely sounds like you were into it pretty hardcore.

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel I am in a weird situation. I do enjoy learning new things and technology BUT I also think that I've been stuck in a rut. There are also some other related things that I don't wanna mention here. So I have that coupled with the fact that I want to strive to do better to provide for my wife and young daughter even if it were to mean doing something else. It's hard, but trying to remain hopeful.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ah I see. That's cool. Definitely sounds like you were into it pretty hardcore.

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel I am in a weird situation. I do enjoy learning new things and technology BUT I also think that I've been stuck in a rut. There are also some other related things that I don't wanna mention here. So I have that coupled with the fact that I want to strive to do better to provide for my wife and young daughter even if it were to mean doing something else. It's hard, but trying to remain hopeful.
Never give up on your dream! Keep teaching yourself, (the internet is a great library of free information if you dig deep enough! There are quite a number of rather unique technologies out there, In the past I also did medical and industrial applications including spectrophotometry and even XRF and XRD. As for securing your future and providing for your family long term then there is only on thing to do and that is to work hard at starting your own business. With the internet, consulting in IT can be lucrative and even done mostly after hours especially in security and encryption services.

Forget hardware as the Chinese will make and deliver a new item cheaper and faster than you could ever hope to fix the problem. Services are the key and Top tier services and services out of hours are still POORLY supported!

Aim high and invest little but your time! Use your brain to generate your income and not your back! If you have a head full of irreplaceable or difficult to obtain information they will pay you big money just for your help or advice! Warning!! Never give out any information so dearly obtained too cheaply! (The mistake I made that lead me here)!

It kept me working for 40+ years!

have fun!

JGplanes

I left my job of almost 11 years this past February to focus on church ministry and priorities. I don't have a full time job at the moment. I am on part time staff at our church, doing all the IT stuff, being a full time youth minister, and treasurer. I also do some freelance 3D printing, graphic design, and drone work on the side. The Lord takes care of my needs. My background is in IT, facilities, imaging, and administrative support. Would love to have a job in aviation, but I don't currently have any contacts to pursue that.

b-29er

I work for a software company. As a side, i also CNC wooden cutouts for my mom's art studio. Previously i've worked as a computer repair technician and a 3d printer lab tech at a college.

Lukelsnoot

I just finished my sophomore year and my parents are bugging me to choose a career. I know I want to something in the aircraft industry, but I do not want a desk job. I like the idea of being a airplane mechanic but do not know all the details. I also looked into aeronautical engineering but found on it from an emergency room doctor who used to be one that he was at a desk more than I would like to be. What are some hands on jobs in the field of aircraft that are very hands on. I am up to the challenge but I just do not know enough to make a decision at this time.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I just finished my sophomore year and my parents are bugging me to choose a career. I know I want to something in the aircraft industry, but I do not want a desk job. I like the idea of being a airplane mechanic but do not know all the details. I also looked into aeronautical engineering but found on it from an emergency room doctor who used to be one that he was at a desk more than I would like to be. What are some hands on jobs in the field of aircraft that are very hands on. I am up to the challenge but I just do not know enough to make a decision at this time.
It might sound a little lame but join the AirForce. They have a range of "Hands On" careers and they provide full training!

Ex AirForce. (Australia), here!

Have fun!