What is your REAL job?

Dunfielder

Right now sitting on my butt. Normally I am a well tester in the oilfield. Basically I flow oil and gas wells and collect flow data and samples for the oil companies. I have done a few different things in the patch. Oilfield maintenance work, ran a picker truck for a few years and had my class 1. If you think your job is no life stay away from the oilfield. I work 14 to 18 hrs a day, 7 days a week usually for at least a 24 day hitch. I am away from my wife and kids a lot and it is not easy. I'm often in remote camps way back in the bush for weeks on end. If the cell tower at camp sucks you don't get to talk to your family. The work goes in all weather. I have been out all day or night in -45c to 40c. Until you have had to crap in the woods in the middle of the night at -40c you haven't lived LOL!!!!
Testing.jpg

Last edited:

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Alright I'll bite.
I'll be shipping out to MCRD San Diego on August 24 for USMC Basic Training. My MOS is 0861, Field Artillery Scout. My AS in Commercial Flight qualifies me for PFC right out of Basic, once I make Corporal I'll be heading to JFO school to become a JTAC. My AS and MOS means it's highly likely I'll be selected for flight school through MECEP. Then it's the F-35.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Alright I'll bite.
I'll be shipping out to MCRD San Diego on August 24 for USMC Basic Training. My MOS is 0861, Field Artillery Scout. My AS in Commercial Flight qualifies me for PFC right out of Basic, once I make Corporal I'll be heading to JFO school to become a JTAC. My AS and MOS means it's highly likely I'll be selected for flight school through MECEP. Then it's the F-35.
Your futures looking bright man!

Just got a job full time at an auction company. Right now my job is spraying down tons of vehicles before being auctioned off. In 90 degree Fahrenheit temperatures it sucks. It's worth it to get Quad's though!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Right now sitting on my butt. Normally I am a well tester in the oilfield. Basically I flow oil and gas wells and collect flow data and samples for the oil companies. I have done a few different things in the patch. Oilfield maintenance work, ran a picker truck for a few years and had my class 1. If you think your job is no life stay away from the oilfield. I work 14 to 18 hrs a day, 7 days a week usually for at least a 24 day hitch. I am away from my wife and kids a lot and it is not easy. I'm often in remote camps way back in the bush for weeks on end. If the cell tower at camp sucks you don't get to talk to your family. The work goes in all weather. I have been out all day or night in -45c to 40c. Until you have had to crap in the woods in the middle of the night at -40c you haven't lived LOL!!!! View attachment 174591
Reminds me of Wyatt's torch, from a book I've been reading.

P40VRP

Retired forester with a Forest Management Bachelor of Science degree from North Carolina State University.
Currently help my wife at a community soup kitchen. I deliver approximately 200 meals to home bound folks three days a week. My wife is almost a saint but her husband is keeping her from being one! Lol.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Changing Jobs at 55! Got laid off at the beginning of the year after 20 years. :( Found a job in B2B sales. Yeah, no...not for me. Don't start a sales career in the middle of a pandemic, unless your selling PPE. I have a background in graphic arts but jobs pay squat around here for that so I started a bootcamp at the local University (UofA) in User Experience Design (UX/UI). Get to learn some HTML5, Java, and CSS as well. (My whole class and even the instructors are soooooo young!) Graduate in February. Wish me luck.

messyhead

Changing Jobs at 55! Got laid off at the beginning of the year after 20 years. :( Found a job in B2B sales. Yeah, no...not for me. Don't start a sales career in the middle of a pandemic, unless your selling PPE. I have a background in graphic arts but jobs pay squat around here for that so I started a bootcamp at the local University (UofA) in User Experience Design (UX/UI). Get to learn some HTML5, Java, and CSS as well. (My whole class and even the instructors are soooooo young!) Graduate in February. Wish me luck.

Good luck! I work in software development, as a tester, for Web and mobile apps. We never seem to have enough UX/UI people, so you've made a good choice. User research and testing is also good to get into.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sorry to hear you got laid off! Good luck on your school and new one though. (y)

Rasterize

Mentor
Good luck! I work in software development, as a tester, for Web and mobile apps. We never seem to have enough UX/UI people, so you've made a good choice. User research and testing is also good to get into.

Thanks messyhead. Good to hear! That's all we have been doing for the past 5 weeks. User research, ideation, wireframe and test. And all the affinity diagrams, empathy maps, and personas thrown in as well.

AlexNillson89

I now work as a PR manager of a 3D printer company, I really like my job, but the only thing that doesn’t suit me yet is that I have too little free time

Phin G

Elite member
Going to school and learning how to calculate pie r^2 in year 8. My brother wants me to go to his school but we need to pass a test and i failed once and i dont want to do it but i dont want to hurt my brothers feelings since he is teaching me stuff that goes in one ear and out the other

leaded50

Legendary member
been working with different, from car/MC mechanic, truck driver (even international) ,In 6y. i was more in Germany/Switzerland
/France, than back home in Norway. Car/MC dealer, public relation, design in many matters, special effect car painting (airbrush, lettering, eg) Last years stuck at home, because getting sick and got surgery once, awaiting next one. All delayed because the Covid situation. Eating painkillers eg. with a uncontrolled day/night time awake in shape. So much time to build, flying do more depend on shape.

Last edited:

Stress Test

I understand. At 49 I started a 4 year college degree full time and graduated in 2018. Computer Science, Software Design. Your age isn't a liability, its an asset! You have the discipline to get good grades and complete your assignments on time. Do the work and throw yourself into it and you will rock this!

Your background in Graphic Arts can be applied to site design, I grade almost every site I look at, if it isn't mobile first, points off, lol.

Oh and I have friends of all ages from school, I thought maybe it would be awkward but it was fun, a lot of work, but fun. Stay in touch with them, it really helps.

Stress Test

Well crap, I forgot to say what I do...

I break stuff. No really. If I can break it they give me a cookie!

In a nutshell, I write programs to test programs.

What I do is called Software Test Automation.

The program I am testing tomorrow runs a photographic studio.

With a program/test I wrote. Yeah. A little confusing.

tesseract

Master member
Well crap, I forgot to say what I do...

I break stuff. No really. If I can break it they give me a cookie!

In a nutshell, I write programs to test programs.

What I do is called Software Test Automation.

The program I am testing tomorrow runs a photographic studio.

With a program/test I wrote. Yeah. A little confusing.
What program do you use to test the program you wrote to test the program?
What program do you use to test the program you wrote to to test the program you wrote to test the program?
What program do you use to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program?
What program do you use to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program you wrote to test the program?
etc etc etc...
Your job must be confusing

Rasterize

Mentor
I understand. At 49 I started a 4 year college degree full time and graduated in 2018. Computer Science, Software Design. Your age isn't a liability, its an asset! You have the discipline to get good grades and complete your assignments on time. Do the work and throw yourself into it and you will rock this!

Your background in Graphic Arts can be applied to site design, I grade almost every site I look at, if it isn't mobile first, points off, lol.

Oh and I have friends of all ages from school, I thought maybe it would be awkward but it was fun, a lot of work, but fun. Stay in touch with them, it really helps.

"Mobile first". If I had a share of 1980 Apple stock for every time I heard that during class... lol Funny you posted yesterday as it was graduation day! (Sitting back waiting for the job offers to roll in...not!)

Stress Test

@Rasterize

Find a framework/code you like. Get a certificate online to add to your credentials. Or do a code-a-thon, I got an interview that way.

The job I got was a fluke sort of. They interviewed me for another job, and thought I would be a good fit for this one.

It took a while, don't get discouraged .