What is your REAL job?

Liam B

At this point in time, unemployed. I'm in the 8th grade and live off of RC stuff my parents get me, but I landed a gig selling hot dawgs next summer! Hot dawg!!!

DonC52

Retired - And I am so glad that I am so that I can catch up. You young people (13, CrazyRCJoe etc.), enjoy every minute building and flying that you get. I started way too late and have so much to learn and enjoy.

RCLucas

I'm a full time tennis player, home school ect. Not a job, just working hard! I'd like to start scratch building my first FT plane in the summer, until then it has been slowly collecting planes and stuff when I could afford it.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
currently in 7th grade, so stuff like, mowing the lawn, taking out trash, and other chores.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow Griff, I remember in another posts you mentioning being in school. Over the forum you seem more adult than your age might indicate. I am impressed that you do work. Always remember, men must work. Sure we rest but men must work. We're built for it.

So bravo to you sir for being on the path of a real man. Model yourself after honorable men and don't don't let the lures of laziness creep in.

Wow, 7th grade and working!

—Jim

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I would love to do stuff like that when I grow up, but Aeronautical Engineering.
What kind of stuff do you do at the facility? that is if you don't mind me asking.
Awesome! It is demanding but rewarding field, and you would enjoy it! Just a note, the Degree is referred to Aerospace Engineering overall, but you can specialize in either Aeronautical (aircraft) or Astronautical (spacecraft) tracks. So an Aeronautical engineer is just a different way of specifying the same :).

As for what I do here, we work to support flight test operations for the company. I can't get much more specific, but its cool to have aircraft flying constantly just outside the hangar. And the occasional rides onboard is an awesome benefit! :D

Konrad

Posting Elsewhere
Aerospace Engineer.
Last worked as a systems engineer in the flight test (certification) of the Boeing 787.

Some free career advice for you young ones seeking a job in engineering. Gain the skills to be flexible.

After a project is designed corporations have little need of engineers and will shed the engineering overhead as fast as they can. There is no loyalty in corporate America! This means that as soon as a product is designed and in production (or canceled) you will be looking for another project (job) within the company or industry. An engineering degree alone means that you will be out of work for large blocks of time. But if you also have an MBA with a focus on program management or finance you will be much more valuable to the hiring corporations.

All the best,
Konrad

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Until July 2015 I worked as captain of Platform Supply Vessels and Oil Spill Recovery vessels in the offshore oil industry. I worked out of ports in the U.S., Mexico, Congo, Angola and Brazil. When the industry slowed down in earnest I "semi-retired" and started to run a small commercial fishing operation in Mexico.

In March of 2016 I became a 56 year old beginning guitar player. I am totally hooked and I now have the adolescent dream of being a third rate musician. I am actually hopeful to one day earn a little food money with the guitar. I was a liberal arts major...with a brain groomed to be an engineer.

jack10525

Low level IT worker for a large Hospital in South Florida.

Wish I could make money building and flying....

therocketdoc

Aerospace Engineer with a focus on combustion and rocket propulsion. Yes... you can get a graduate degree in how to burn all the things and master barbecuing. I've worked for Boeing for over 20 years - building and testing missiles.

My other calling is to work with youth to explore engineering and outdoor adventure (Civil Air Patrol - Aerospace Education Officer, Scouts - Crew Advisor / Merit Badge Counselor, and American Heritage Girls).

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Josh, please, It is great to know your job but please keep the links and all out of your posts. This is really not the site for it!

hyperbolic

I'm a data analyst at an education company. So I basically write code and make interactive visualizations to try and figure out what we actually know about the millions of people our company gets in touch with all year.

NewLn

High School Student

I'm actually looking at colleges and jobs and the future right now and could use some insight. Seems to me that a lot of you guys are technicians or engineers. I took an Engineering Principles class at my school and learned about some of the different types of engineers. I really like the Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Science sections. Can anyone speak on this subjects? I am also interested in Aerospace engineering.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What do I do for a living?

Depends on who you ask. I've been a blogger and podcaster, but my last several jobs have consisted of work for Pacific Bell/SBC/SBC California/SBC AT&T (pick a name, nobody knows who it really is anymore, just that it's something of a dinosaur LOL), Billing and Customer Service Lead for Blizzard Entertainment (the guys who make World of Warcraft), Billing and Technical Support Representative for Cox Communications (a job that very nearly killed me - seriously, I suffered mental health issues where I contemplated taking my own life at one time from the stress), and now I work in tech support for a software company that makes billing software for cable television/internet/phone service companies (which is SO much nicer - I talk to cable providers, not customers of the providers).

My current job allows me things like spending time with my family on the weekends, seeing my wife for more than 30 minutes in a day, and flying my models. :)