What? It's Not a Mini? Simple Scout Build

mayan

Legendary member
I
Some props just come that way (2 to a pack)... And while I see your point... When it's less than a dollar a prop;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20X...412.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4dsB2DEQ
Is it worth all the trouble?....
:unsure:
Maybe so... That is honestly why I started looking at twin designs..... But, I don't know...

I usually leave my pods alone (semi permanent builds) if you do plan on swapping I HIGHLY recommend you reinforce the mounting holes.
You might find some small circles or squares of plywood with a hole punched in them or use spent gift cards/plastic to protect from wear.
(Although, that might be a design "feature" of FT designs to provide a "crumple zone" to protect the motor...)
Eh, everything is a trade-off...
I use cardboard to reenforce the holes works great and doesn’t make the hole rip one little bit. If it’s worth the hassle maybe not but I have some props that are CW and unless I do a twin engine design like you said they are just laying around :(.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We didn't get to fly yesterday. We got to fly today, though! I screwed up with the phone vid, and the headcam is not aimed correctly. I don't have vid of my son's first flight of the day, but he was the one who took it up into the wind, first. I've mashed together the rest of the video and it's a pretty darn good four minutes. If I do say so, myself.

Man, we had an absolutely awesome afternoon. Glorious lived up to her name. She was pretty hurt after that last crash. Unfortunately it is worse than it seemed and ended our flying session.

IMG_0296.JPG

The wing actually broke. It didn't fold. It broke. The front end is all messed up and she is not going anywhere without a lot of work. I would ask "How do you think that makes me feel?" You already know the answer. We had an absolute BLAST flying that plane, and she'll be back in the air again before winter hits... It's only foamboard and I've got lots of planes to build! :p

mayan

Legendary member
We didn't get to fly yesterday. We got to fly today, though! I screwed up with the phone vid, and the headcam is not aimed correctly. I don't have vid of my son's first flight of the day, but he was the one who took it up into the wind, first. I've mashed together the rest of the video and it's a pretty darn good four minutes. If I do say so, myself.

Man, we had an absolutely awesome afternoon. Glorious lived up to her name. She was pretty hurt after that last crash. Unfortunately it is worse than it seemed and ended our flying session.

View attachment 129427

The wing actually broke. It didn't fold. It broke. The front end is all messed up and she is not going anywhere without a lot of work. I would ask "How do you think that makes me feel?" You already know the answer. We had an absolute BLAST flying that plane, and she'll be back in the air again before winter hits... It's only foamboard and I've got lots of planes to build! :p
@buzzbomb so happy that you are spending time with your son, and having a good time while at it. It was super windy and you both did really good, also your son kicked ass with those two landings, I am jealous :p.

Jimun

Elite member

View attachment 129427

That looked like a good blowing wind. Your son did a great job and even nailing the landing in the wind. I know that feeling when your trying to get your plane back to you against the wind. I think that has helped me lose control in some of my crashes. I can't say it's all the winds fault, there are so many things at play I am finding out. Remembering to check the hell out of my crap:poop: before and after crashing:LOL:.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb so happy that you are spending time with your son, and having a good time while at it. It was super windy and you both did really good, also your son kicked ass with those two landings, I am jealous :p.
Just so we're clear. We had some great landings that afternoon. His "wheels down on the runway" only happened once, and was frickin' stupid spectacular! We managed to capture it from two angles. He did not do that twice on that outing. He might have, except I killed the bird.

I edited the video from my son wearing the GoPro on his head, with the video I was taking on my phone. One spectacular landing, from two different video sources.

I had a great save after trying to "float." We can call that a landing. The wind got me at the end of that maneuver, but I managed to set the plane down on it's wheels. I'm pretty proud of that one. That wasn't my crazy flying style. That was me just recognizing what was happening and landing the plane in the grass. Yep. Proud of that one.

I just don't want any misconceptions from the edited video. He was "Wheels Down" only once, from two different angles, and my best landing was in the tall grass.

mayan

Legendary member
Just so we're clear. We had some great landings that afternoon. His "wheels down on the runway" only happened once, and was frickin' stupid spectacular! We managed to capture it from two angles. He did not do that twice on that outing. He might have, except I killed the bird.

I edited the video from my son wearing the GoPro on his head, with the video I was taking on my phone. One spectacular landing, from two different video sources.

I had a great save after trying to "float." We can call that a landing. The wind got me at the end of that maneuver, but I managed to set the plane down on it's wheels. I'm pretty proud of that one. That wasn't my crazy flying style. That was me just recognizing what was happening and landing the plane in the grass. Yep. Proud of that one.

I just don't want any misconceptions from the edited video. He was "Wheels Down" only once, from two different angles, and my best landing was in the tall grass.
I see, still one great landing is better than none. As for you landing and not crashing it in some crazy maneuver, are you sick? That’s not like you although I like the calmer flying you preform :).

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I've been watching my latest video a lot. Mostly because I enjoy it so much. Also to learn. Our take offs were beautiful. The Simple Scout just leaps into the sky, and then you've got to deal with what comes next. My son did wonderfully, and I can't fault much of anything on his flights.

I made a big boo boo on the last flight. 100% throttle. That was what was necessary to get the bird into the wind, but I forgot to back off when I went downwind. That's OK, though, since I couldn't back off the throttle anyway. I didn't have the power to come back up wind as it was. It was just an absolute battle between wind and plane and the wind won.

So. I've been studying the video on and off for days. She was well built and flew flawlessly. She was lacking in power. She was sporting what I think is a 2212, 2200kv motor. It was a gift and there are no numbers on it. I'm guessing by looking at pictures of motors on the internet. Also, I don't have a caliper.

So let's call it a 2212, 2200KV motor with a 30 amp esc, 1045 prop and a 3s 2200mAh batt. She's not going in the air again soon, but I want to put her in the air again. What would ya'll suggest for more power pushing through the wind?

mayan

Legendary member
I've been watching my latest video a lot. Mostly because I enjoy it so much. Also to learn. Our take offs were beautiful. The Simple Scout just leaps into the sky, and then you've got to deal with what comes next. My son did wonderfully, and I can't fault much of anything on his flights.

I made a big boo boo on the last flight. 100% throttle. That was what was necessary to get the bird into the wind, but I forgot to back off when I went downwind. That's OK, though, since I couldn't back off the throttle anyway. I didn't have the power to come back up wind as it was. It was just an absolute battle between wind and plane and the wind won.

So. I've been studying the video on and off for days. She was well built and flew flawlessly. She was lacking in power. She was sporting what I think is a 2212, 2200kv motor. It was a gift and there are no numbers on it. I'm guessing by looking at pictures of motors on the internet. Also, I don't have a caliper.

So let's call it a 2212, 2200KV motor with a 30 amp esc, 1045 prop and a 3s 2200mAh batt. She's not going in the air again soon, but I want to put her in the air again. What would ya'll suggest for more power pushing through the wind?
Try a C pack motor with a 10x4.7 prop and 30A ESC.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I have used 10x7 props on a c pack motor with the FT Edge 540 and that would make big difference in speed.

Just a thought.
It's not so much going faster (believe it or not :p) as it is being able fight through higher winds. That crash at the end was caused my lack of skill and the fact the plane couldn't come back against the wind we were battling.

I haven't the experience to say whether more speed would do it, or if I need a prop with more "torque," one that bites the wind better, or even if those two are the same thing. I don't know if there is a way to do it at all. It may just be that we reached the limit of wind speed that airframe can handle.

We were having so darn much fun that I'm going to find out, though! For the price of some props? You betcha' I'm going to try the 9x7s! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I was looking at props and saw three blade. I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to throw that one out to the Family and let them have some fun with it. :)

daxian

Elite member
@buzzbomb ...c pack is better suited with the 10x4.5 or 10x4.7 than the 2212 2200kv which needs a much smaller prop (6 x 4 ..ish)...i run a 2212 1000kv (racestar from bangood ) with a 10x4.5 prop and and that eats wind for breakfast !!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This evening was for airplane repair, since I'm waiting on parts to finish the DR1. This is poor 'ol Glorious after coming home from that last flight.

IMG_0311.JPG

"A daunting task, indeed!" says you? "Nay!" says I! " 'Tis only foamboard!" A few hours, some hot glue, packing tape and tongue depressors later:

IMG_0312.JPG

She lives! Muuhaaahaaa! Almost. I've still got to reinstall the electronics and balance the CG. But there she is. With a spare power pod.

I ran packing tape along the whole front edge of the wing this time. Hopefully it will help with the next mishap. The wing was also really loose, so I had to tack it down with some hot glue. Tongue depressors along the front of the fuse on both sides, a couple cut short and glued behind the wing to help keep it in place.

I think she'll fly. We'll find out on our next outing! :D

mayan

Legendary member
This evening was for airplane repair, since I'm waiting on parts to finish the DR1. This is poor 'ol Glorious after coming home from that last flight.

View attachment 130475

"A daunting task, indeed!" says you? "Nay!" says I! " 'Tis only foamboard!" A few hours, some hot glue, packing tape and tongue depressors later:

View attachment 130476

She lives! Muuhaaahaaa! Almost. I've still got to reinstall the electronics and balance the CG. But there she is. With a spare power pod.

I ran packing tape along the whole front edge of the wing this time. Hopefully it will help with the next mishap. The wing was also really loose, so I had to tack it down with some hot glue. Tongue depressors along the front of the fuse on both sides, a couple cut short and glued behind the wing to help keep it in place.

I think she'll fly. We'll find out on our next outing! :D
Great repair work my dear friend, just give her a kiss before maiden wish her luck and she’ll fly like a charm.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Brought the newly resurrected Simple Scout to the field today. It was brief. :LOL:

I didn't even get to see if the wing would hold, because the darn wheel fell off! :mad: *sigh* I could have hand launched it, but I didn't want to sacrifice a 10" prop to land it. Because I'm so good at landing my planes. ;)

Wheel is repaired. Batteries remain charged. We'll see what the weather does tomorrow.