What kind of software do you use to make plans?

deltajet3

Exactly what the title says. Is there a free software with low system requirements that I can use to make plans?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Free programs for design are:
Sketchup
Fusion 360
DoubleCAD
InkScape

Once everything is designed and laid out, free software to generate PDF’s are:
CutePDF

You really only need to make a PDF if you want to share a digital copy of the plans. Most of those design programs will print tiled plans directly (at least I know Sketchup will).

kilroy07

Legendary member
What I use to design, isn't free (Bentley's MicroStation) but I do use inkscape to take existing PDF plans and convert them to DXF for the laser cutter. That could give you a good starting point if your design is similar to an existing one.

I like to design in 2D, unless it's going to be a 3D printed part then I will design in 3D.
(Your mileage may vary.)

JTarmstr

Elite member
It depends, I use inkscape for designing printable plans and use pencil and paper/whiteboard to work out my design. That approach has pros and cons its harder to design folded origami like structures (such as @DamoRC 's builds) However boxy builds or round fuses with formers can be accomplished with moderate drawing skills and graph paper and this is useful if you dont have a good computer.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
with moderate drawing skills and graph paper and this is useful if you dont have a good computer.

I know for me, personally, I prefer the building and the flying to the drawing and thinking (and redrawing, and more thinking) I find I have more fun and success by just starting with a pencil and a sheet of foam and seeing what happens...

bracesport

Legendary member
for me, it's onshape.com for 3D, affinity designer for 2D, but to be honest, onshape can tackle most 2D too - there is a free version of onshape with your files being in the public domain.

LongPower7

You could try some project management software like Microsoft Project, JIRA, Trello, TFS, etc., but that's all overkill especially at the start of a project when you are feeling your way out... once you are 100% building features instead of the infrastructure then those things can work. My recommendation will be a Clockwise software developing company that provides custom software development services - https://clockwise.software/

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
I use an old version of SketchUp (7.0.10247) while Google still owned it and gave it out free. That is the last one that still supported import/export DXF files which are common on the Internet. I only use a couple plug-ins... Loft, STL export for 3D printing and Bezier Curves. Haven't used the Trimble versions of SketchUp except trying to teach a class with the on-line version. Waste of time! I've used many others including AutoCAD, Fusion 360, Catia, Patran, and others professionally. SketchUp is the easiest to learn AND MAINLY to use casually. Fusion 360 is far more powerful, but I feel it is something you need to use nearly daily/weekly to keep proficient. SketchUp is intuitive/obvious like a paint program. You can put it down for six months and pick it right back up. I couldn't with Fusion 360. Had to go back through the tedious, but very good quality tutorials.

An example considering your O.P. This took three days (off and on) but with at least two complete re-start from scratch iterations, but also included the print time of intermediate parts which caused me to go back and make further enhancements. The plane mods are fully CAD'd up and printed. I haven't assembled the full F-22 as I'm not capable of flying it... yet. Working on that.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hybrid-mini-f-22-raptor.71083/

Edit: I should note, I don't make plans... I take 3 view sketches, plans, blueprints, photos from the Internet and make 3D models (not 2D plans). YMMV.

WillL84

I use an old version of SketchUp (7.0.10247) while Google still owned it and gave it out free. That is the last one that still supported import/export DXF files which are common on the Internet. I only use a couple plug-ins... Loft, STL export for 3D printing and Bezier Curves. Haven't used the Trimble versions of SketchUp except trying to teach a class with the on-line version. Waste of time! I've used many others including AutoCAD, Fusion 360, Catia, Patran, and others professionally. SketchUp is the easiest to learn AND MAINLY to use casually. Fusion 360 is far more powerful, but I feel it is something you need to use nearly daily/weekly to keep proficient. SketchUp is intuitive/obvious like a paint program. You can put it down for six months and pick it right back up. I couldn't with Fusion 360. Had to go back through the tedious, but very good quality tutorials.

An example considering your O.P. This took three days (off and on) but with at least two complete re-start from scratch iterations, but also included the print time of intermediate parts which caused me to go back and make further enhancements. The plane mods are fully CAD'd up and printed. I haven't assembled the full F-22 as I'm not capable of flying it... yet. Working on that.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hybrid-mini-f-22-raptor.71083/

Edit: I should note, I don't make plans... I take 3 view sketches, plans, blueprints, photos from the Internet and make 3D models (not 2D plans). YMMV.

I started with Sketchup but once I started using Inventor at work as well as Fusion 360 I never looked back. Sketchup is a joke at modeling and using any kind of multi-part models. No history tree is probably the single biggest gripe with it (unless they've added that in the ~10 year since I've used it). Want to change that hole position or size? HA. Good luck. Better off just filling it in and making a new one. Then when trying to export STLs for 3D printing I alway shad issues with the faces on models - some faces were inner when they should have been outer. Solid modelers are so much better honestly. I don't know why sketchup is even still around.

Woivod

I'd love to chime in with some suggestions. When it comes to making plans, there are actually quite a few software options out there that won't put a strain on your computer's resources. One free tool I've used in the past is Trello - it's great for visualizing tasks and projects, and it has a simple interface that's easy to navigate. Another option is Asana, which has more advanced operations management tools and offers a free version as well. Whether you're managing a small business or just trying to stay organized in your personal life, having the right tools at your disposal can make all the difference.

Last edited: