Solved What mAh should I use?

Vimana89

Legendary member
RC Soarer
Just to help for the future mAh (milli amp hours) defines the capacity of a battery which indicates how long you can fly for before it will be exhausted. More mAh for longer duration but there is of course a down side. Batteries are heavy so the plane will use more power to fly so negating some of the duration benefit and the extra weight will make it a bit harder to fly.
The plan does suggest 800 to 1500 mAh 2s battery so 1300 is within the recommendation although towards the heavier end.
Selecting the best battery, motor and prop combination is not that simple as there are many interrelated variable and to a degree depends on your preference on how you want the plane to fly. It is therefore always best, at least initially, to keep within the recommendations.
+1 on this bit of info, I definitely second this. I tend to experiment(within the recommended limits) to find my preferred setup for each plane. As other have stated, mAh is basically your fuel, you capacity, how long your flight will last. Props are big, they can change the whole flight experience. I'm far from an expert yet, but you've got your diameter, pitch, and number of blades. More diameter and pitch is more torque but more power generally speaking. An increase in number of blades will give you more "excess thrust", especially at lower speeds, but is noticeably less "fuel efficient" than a two bladed, and can possibly limit top end speed a bit too. You definitely came to the right forum to ask questions though(y)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Would I use the recommended prop? The reason being is that the recommended motor looked like it was rubbish (due to plastic gears and bad reviews). The PDF is above and the link for my thread on the motor is here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/alternatives-to-the-eps-350c-motor.61774/
I have no idea what that motor is. It might be something really archaic. I'll let somebody else more experienced see what you should use as far as more modern options. I think somebody recommended the Radial motor that comes with the FT power pack B? I think you'd be good going with that.

RC Soarer

Ok... the specs say 9x4.7-9x7. The reason I concern is that the plan recommends a certain hight in relation to the landing gear. Would I still be safe?

RC Soarer

Ohhh. Can I still do it while staying safe? I ask this because I would like to stay with 2s to keep the weight down.

Attachments

• BluCub2_full.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ohhh. Can I still do it while staying safe? I ask this because I would like to stay with 2s to keep the weight down.
Looks like you can go up to a 12 inch prop without any clearance issues. I say go for a 10 inch prop on 2s. You can also get small 3s packs that will weigh very little.

quorneng

Master member
RC Soarer
You are aware that the plans you linked to show a mount for a specific brushed motor with a combined gear box.
This 'stick' mount would be of no use for the 2822 motor you are intending to use as this requires a flat bulkhead, usually thin plywood, that the motor can be bolted on to. Note the bullhead should be set to achieve the angles shown on the plan so the motor points to the side and down.

Your 2822 is a good bit lighter at 39 g rather than 65 g of the specified motor and as is common comparing similar brushed and brushless motors the 2822 has nearly twice the maximum power. Not a problem as you don't have to set it up to use it all.
With a lighter motor you may have to consider moving the battery forward (or even make the nose a bit longer!) to achieve the correct balance point.