what motor should i use with the ft mini scout?

Legolessed

i built an ft mini scout and was about to put my big motors that i use on my 2 meter wings on there when i realized that that would be way too much torque and not work very well. What motor should i use? the closest thing i have to what should be used on it is some 1104 7000kv motors. any suggestions?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
emax 1806-2300kv.

you can run either the 6030, or 6045 prop.

my prefered battery is a 2S-800mha but you can run a 3S-370mha and get a little crazy. it will go unlimited vertical with the 3S and loop-d-loop until you get sick. with the 2S and 6030 you can easily get 10 min flights and still have plenty of power.

if you shop hobby king you can find bundles with 4 motors and 4 esc's for $60. yes, 2 are CW but reverse the wires and use some loc-tite and your fine.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I initially used Park280 motors running 2S but later moved over to 2205C 1400Kv motors from HK running on 3S.

The 2205C has a built in propsaver and a tiny stub of a shaft on which I fit prop adapters or spinners if required. I use props from 6x4.5 to 9x5 depending on the performance I am seeking or the ground clearance available.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

Legolessed

thank you! they are really nice motors that produce a ton of thrust on a 3 inch prop. They were originally in my 130mm quad. @gazoo

Legolessed

emax 1806-2300kv.

you can run either the 6030, or 6045 prop.

my prefered battery is a 2S-800mha but you can run a 3S-370mha and get a little crazy. it will go unlimited vertical with the 3S and loop-d-loop until you get sick. with the 2S and 6030 you can easily get 10 min flights and still have plenty of power.

if you shop hobby king you can find bundles with 4 motors and 4 esc's for $60. yes, 2 are CW but reverse the wires and use some loc-tite and your fine.

I absolutely love hobbying but sometimes i have to pay like $20 for shipping. They have some really great stuff though so its a hard balance.

Legolessed

I initially used Park280 motors running 2S but later moved over to 2205C 1400Kv motors from HK running on 3S.

The 2205C has a built in propsaver and a tiny stub of a shaft on which I fit prop adapters or spinners if required. I use props from 6x4.5 to 9x5 depending on the performance I am seeking or the ground clearance available.

Just what works for me!

have fun!

thank you! that seems like a ton of power for the mini scout lol. perminent vertical?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
thank you! that seems like a ton of power for the mini scout lol. perminent vertical?

Tons of power? Potentially but then I do love to underprop my models and reduce stress of everything - much longer life for everything including batteries!

As for unlimited vertical, tried it but without aileron roll control it was extremely difficult to get such a fast and nimble little plane to maintain its vertical trajectory. Great acceleration though and very crisp loops and severe turns at full throttle.

The real reason is that I have a bit of a name for taking off and having 20 to 30 minute flights before landing again, but also because I get bored with planes after a while and so just by changing a prop I get a new or different plane to fly, (or more accurately perform a nice and long "crash avoidance" session):black_eyed:.

Just a side note I got tired of replacing motors. motor shafts, and motor wiring, just because I lost the battle with gravity and so moves to the most rugged, (CHEAP), motor readily available to me. A few motors I use have been dug out of the dirt, fished out of the water, ejected at altitude, smashed into by other airborne models and taken bites out of trees and just keep on ticking!

Have fun!

Legolessed

Tons of power? Potentially but then I do love to underprop my models and reduce stress of everything - much longer life for everything including batteries!

As for unlimited vertical, tried it but without aileron roll control it was extremely difficult to get such a fast and nimble little plane to maintain its vertical trajectory. Great acceleration though and very crisp loops and severe turns at full throttle.

The real reason is that I have a bit of a name for taking off and having 20 to 30 minute flights before landing again, but also because I get bored with planes after a while and so just by changing a prop I get a new or different plane to fly, (or more accurately perform a nice and long "crash avoidance" session):black_eyed:.

Just a side note I got tired of replacing motors. motor shafts, and motor wiring, just because I lost the battle with gravity and so moves to the most rugged, (CHEAP), motor readily available to me. A few motors I use have been dug out of the dirt, fished out of the water, ejected at altitude, smashed into by other airborne models and taken bites out of trees and just keep on ticking!

Have fun!

if were going by oversizing, could i use a 2204 2300kv motor? they are on special on bangood
https://www.banggood.com/KINGKONG-2...or-for-FPV-Racing-p-1015384.html?rmmds=search

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i would say that a 2204 on a scout is WAY overkill. i can fly mine on the 1806-2280kv emax w/ 2S-800mha as long as i can stand. it will still do all i want, just not crazy. if i put in the 3S-370mha i can get a much shorter but MUCH more exciting flight. i'm not kidding about the vertical climb. thing just keeps going. on the scout i usually choose 3S simple because it's not much other than a simple 3-channel and i kinda need the thrill. it's fun but nothing crazy. on the speedster however i really prefer the 2S-800mha. almost the same weight all things told, but the speedster will fly forever and still do aileron rolls w/o ailerons, and is just much more enjoyable and maneuverable at lower speeds to fly. in my humble opinion...

laters,

jason ;)