• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What not to do

A thread of what not to do....Post more suggestions of what not to do, and I will post it, along with your username
Here's my list:
Fly behind a building.
Try to show off.
Spin a motor with a bent shaft in your hand
Try to do a roll with a Rudder-controlled plane(Luckily this didn't result in a crash!)

And now list of other people's not-to-do's
Throw your glider in front of a labrador retriever. --earthsciteach

Last edited:

earthsciteach

First hand experience learned about 45 minutes ago: try to outmaneuver a small bird with a 50mm EDF F/A-18. The result is a spin to the ground. Luckily, no real damage was done to the bird or the rc plane.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Don't fly without having a clue about cg
My first arf build i just slopped everything together took it to a field. Hand launched........ then picked up all the bits
went home and watched flitetests episode on cg....wish i done it before

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Don't take it for granted that your ailerons move in the correct direction during you pre-flight. Verify Before You Fly! Just because they moved doesn't mean they moved correctly...I know this for a fact.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
-Don´t forget to turn on your timer on the radio! I keep forgettin that and end up with a morer than empty battery.
-If you built a plane from scratch and check(!!!) if the connections are soldered right and don´t become loose with vibrations, because any plane will vibrate.
-Check your radio! Sometimes you end up taking someone elses radio!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Don't skimp on rubberbands. How much do they cost?
I've ripped a couple of wings off the old slow stick making a not sot gentle pitch change that pulled the wing free from the mounts. The Slow Stick fuselage with no wings makes a graceful but violent decent to the ground. Can you say lawn dart?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Don't take it for granted that your ailerons move in the correct direction during you pre-flight. Verify Before You Fly! Just because they moved doesn't mean they moved correctly...I know this for a fact.
I agree and would add that that goes double for elevators. Been there done that.

Don't ignore peculiar sounds. I ignored this once, even knowing why (usually use two rubber bands on prop saver) my prop sounded a little loosey goosey. But it wasn't until the prop left the plane (last band snapped) that I realized what a bad choice my complacency and procrastination was.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahaha- but so satisfying to watch that prop float safely to earth straight to the ground.
And so challenging and rewarding to bring that plane safely down dead stick- unless you crash ;)

Emparri

Don't take your eyes off your plane!

Just started the hobby and was barely familiar with my 2nd hand 9CH Tx. Made a successful take-off, went into straight and level (still on 3/4 throttle or more) and decided plane needed slight trimming. Looked at my Tx and dialed in a few clicks. Friend (experienced) saw me doing this and immediately asked where's my plane. It was a tiny speck in the horizon heading towards the sea! Luckily my friend brought it back for me.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just started the hobby and was barely familiar with my 2nd hand 9CH Tx. Made a successful take-off, went into straight and level (still on 3/4 throttle or more) and decided plane needed slight trimming. Looked at my Tx and dialed in a few clicks. Friend (experienced) saw me doing this and immediately asked where's my plane. It was a tiny speck in the horizon heading towards the sea! Luckily my friend brought it back for me.
I'm scared about that...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hahaha- but so satisfying to watch that prop float safely to earth straight to the ground.
And so challenging and rewarding to bring that plane safely down dead stick- unless you crash ;)
Hahaha not. No the plane, my accursed "Funbat" was at a distance so I didn't see where my prop floated safely nor was my landing so rewarding.:black_eyed: