What plane should I buy?

luvforaviation

I'm totally new to RC planes and want to know what plane to get, I will probably built from scratch or a speed build kit. I think I want a 4 channel unless it would be a terribly stupid idea to begin with ailerons. I'll probably go with a Simple Park Flyer as from the particular plane I was looking at the Cub or Scout but saw a lot of recommendations for the Tutor and Storch so I'm not sure. I'll probably add a gyro of some kind, should I chose anything other than the FT Aura 5 ?

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm happy to muddy the water! I've built 3 Cubs and wouldn't recommend it as your first thru third plane. The scout is a great second plane. I haven't built the storch but have heard good things. I'd recommend the explorer. It has a pusher prop so no broken props on bad landings, it's modular so you can replace the damaged parts easily, has a polyhedral and dihedral/aileron wing that will grow with you and it's big and slow like the storch.
So that's the practical advice, now for the kid in us - build something that makes you grin and know that it's probably over your head flying wise. When it's mashed beyond recognition (like my first impractical plane was) it gives you the motivation to build and learn on a trainer so you can go back and rebuild your first plane and fly it. Remember it's just foam board and only hours (or days) of build time as opposed to months that a balsa plane takes. The expensive parts, electronics, are almost never damaged and can be reused.
My 2 cents :)

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'm totally new to RC planes and want to know what plane to get, I will probably built from scratch or a speed build kit. I think I want a 4 channel unless it would be a terribly stupid idea to begin with ailerons. I'll probably go with a Simple Park Flyer as from the particular plane I was look at the Cub or Scout but saw a lot of recommendations for the Tutor and Storch so I'm not sure. I'll probably add a gyro of some kind, should I chose anything other than the FT Aura 5 ?
Try the FT tenet. I never built one, but sounds like it would be the best plane. If you dont wantt odiy, get the apprentice s2

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I was look at the Cub or Scout but saw a lot of recommendations for the Tutor and Storch so I'm not sure....
All good choices. I would add to your list the Tiny Trainer and the FT Explorer.

If setup correctly stabilization can be a great aide. If it not, they can doom your plane.
The Aurora is a great system, just make sure your Rx can use the same protocol.
The Hobby Eagle offers the same benefits, is less expensive and works with any Rx that can use servos.

dylanbeaudette

I do very much like the DR1, as a second plane.

Shurik-1960

The question is not correctly asked: 1. I have a desire to buy an entry-level model within such .......amount of money. There should be a radio control in the model kit (or I will buy it separately) 2. I am in .................. And I would like to find a modeler in the vicinity who could teach me how to set up a model, fly, ...
Or maybe buy on aliexpress.com ready-made set of motor glider with autopilot span up to 1m for $ 60-80 ? Even children fly on it, and so does my friend at the beginning of his model flight :

TheFlyGuy

I would recommend the FT Tiny Trainer. It‘s a really good beginner plane, and when you have flown it as a three-channel with a 2S LiPo a few times you can upgrade it with a 3S or switch to a four-channel with the aileron wing.
You can buy the Speed Build Kit, but cutting it out yourself with the free plans is also possible, as it‘s mostly straight cuts:

luvforaviation

1681516784780.png

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I happily went with none of your recommendations.:cool: But want to follow them later.

I chose the Flyer because of its swappable design so I (hopefully) don't have to buy as many electronics, and its ease to scratch build.

My electronics come Saturday (4/15/23) and my transmitter Monday (4/17/23).

I'll let you'll none how the maiden goes.

P.S: Please, don't laugh too hard at my crude scratch build.🫣

Draftman1

Tudor is a nice plane, don’t let having ailerons throw you off, it’s no big deal. Learn the 4 channel, it doesn’t take any longer.

Try to find a club or a buddy that knows how to fly and get a lesson or two, it will make it a much more enjoyable experience

Bo123

Elite member
View attachment 236993

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I happily went with none of your recommendations.:cool: But want to follow them later.

I chose the Flyer because of its swappable design so I (hopefully) don't have to buy as many electronics, and its ease to scratch build.

My electronics come Saturday (4/15/23) and my transmitter Monday (4/17/23).

I'll let you'll none how the maiden goes.

P.S: Please, don't laugh too hard at my crude scratch build.🫣
Next time I recommend a much sharper knife!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Starting rough, starting simple. Good choice sir! The Flyer should get you through the initial crash-heavy stage where you suss out take offs, landings and turning in the wind.

You might bust a prop or two on it though, so I recommend ordering a couple spares and bringing them with you to the field so the first bumps don't end your session early.

luvforaviation

Well, I attempted a maiden last evening and broke 2 props in less than 5 minutes of flight time.:cry::cool:

I don't think I'll try to repair it cause I got too thin foam board and either the wrong motor or firewall.

My plans now are to get better foam board, get a sharper knife, and build a plane with a pusher prop.

P.S. What is a good pusher plane that takes an A power pack?

mastermalpass

Elite member
Well, I attempted a maiden last evening and broke 2 props in less than 5 minutes of flight time.:cry::cool:

I don't think I'll try to repair it cause I got too thin foam board and either the wrong motor or firewall.

My plans now are to get better foam board, get a sharper knife, and build a plane with a pusher prop.

P.S. What is a good pusher plane that takes an A power pack?

Shameless self-promotion: I designed a prop-in-slot parkjet that the A pack meets the exact spec for. It's designed to be made from 6mm Depron foam. But others have had success building it from 5mm Flite Test foam.

Flite test have their own prop-in-slot parkjets; the FT Alpha, Bravo and Charlie along with the FT-22. However I don't know how beginner-friendly those ones are or if they can take an A pack.

JDSnavely

Shameless self-promotion: I designed a prop-in-slot parkjet that the A pack meets the exact spec for. It's designed to be made from 6mm Depron foam. But others have had success building it from 5mm Flite Test foam.

Flite test have their own prop-in-slot parkjets; the FT Alpha, Bravo and Charlie along with the FT-22. However I don't know how beginner-friendly those ones are or if they can take an A pack.
I just happened to get the Alpha out the other day that I made a couple years ago. It was my 2nd FT plane that I made from plans. It's beginner friendly but definately needs an F pack. Also, it is a little more difficult to launch. Don't want to get caught by the prop!!! I flew it 3/4 to full throttle with a 3S 850. Pretty slow for an F-Pack with 3S. Still a lot of fun to fly! The Zero with the same is lightning fast. I don't think you will break a prop with the Mini Scout and the A pack even though it is not a pusher prop. It is very light.

Shurik-1960

Engine 2205C, 3S 1500mA, 8040 , 2 pieces 9 grams Tower pro + 2 pm for assembly .A great model for relaxing in a small space. Flies fast and on foot.Ideal for making from Flite test material.