What plane should I get?

What plane should I get?

• Total voters

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It is said in legend, that if you command the Bixler using the "Neckstrap of Awesomeness". A Golden Eagle will descend from the Heavens, and kiss your wings. Granting you eternal crashlessness...... True story! :cool:
But seriously, great choices, you should be very happy with that gear! :applause: The Bix rules!

I suppose that:

The "Neckstrap of Awesomeness" can only be found by flying FPV inverted on a night with full moon, (or with a buddy code) :)

What neckstrap do you refer to? $0.72 Turnigy one LOL :)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
It is said in legend, that if you command the Bixler using the "Neckstrap of Awesomeness". A Golden Eagle will descend from the Heavens, and kiss your wings. Granting you eternal crashlessness...... True story! :cool:
View attachment 930
But seriously, great choices, you should be very happy with that gear! :applause: The Bix rules!

Very nice way of saying that :D

Yeah Andre, you can´t do anythin wrong with an idiotproof bixler (not saying that you´re an itdiot :D)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Very nice way of saying that :D

Yeah Andre, you can´t do anythin wrong with an idiotproof bixler (not saying that you´re an itdiot :D)

Nah, I don't know, but as earthsciteach said before

As much as you focus on RC flying, I am sure you have an intuition for flying. That's how I was at your age (and younger). I took flying lessons in high school in a Cessna 150 and it just came natural. I had studied aircraft inside and out, understood aerodynamics on an intuitive level. I've never lost that, fortunately. Flying RC came pretty easy for me. I suspect it will be similar for you.

I might not do that bad after all :)

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I suppose that:

The "Neckstrap of Awesomeness" can only be found by flying FPV inverted on a night with full moon, (or with a buddy code) :)

What neckstrap do you refer to? $0.72 Turnigy one LOL :)

The very one!
This is the most recent mention of it. HERE
There has been at least one other reference before, but I can't seem to find it now.

ParkeFlyer

Good decision... and seemingly appropriate you get a Bixler from the credit you won on his show. Good work!!! (I have a Clouds Fly, i.e. Floater Jet, that is also a really good option if the Bix is not in stock.)

On these kits, there is a good chance that a servo or something small will not be working or will quickly burn out. Save yourself some heart ache, and add a couple HXT900 servos to your order. And add a couple packages XT-60 connectors. If you don't have access to low-temp solder and heat shrink tubing, be sure to add that as well. These items are cheap and probably won't affect your shipping. I always try to max out my shipping weight with these small items.

Have fun!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Good decision... and seemingly appropriate you get a Bixler from the credit you won on his show. Good work!!! (I have a Clouds Fly, i.e. Floater Jet, that is also a really good option if the Bix is not in stock.)

On these kits, there is a good chance that a servo or something small will not be working or will quickly burn out. Save yourself some heart ache, and add a couple HXT900 servos to your order. And add a couple packages XT-60 connectors. If you don't have access to low-temp solder and heat shrink tubing, be sure to add that as well. These items are cheap and probably won't affect your shipping. I always try to max out my shipping weight with these small items.

Have fun!

I was thinking about the XT-60 (male, for the ESC) connectors, but I'm also 15 grams short of another $7.39 in shipping.
I have been considering these things (maybe for separate order in the distant future):

- Turnigy highrate 30FPS Ultra-small Digital Camera (without memory card) To record on board video, and do basic AP.

- Male XT60 connectors (5pcs/bag) GENUINE To connect ESC to battery.

- HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo For own scratchbuilds, or replacement parts.

- flitetest T-Shirt You cannot fly this plane - Black (X-Large) To spread the love :)

- X-BLADE Precision knife with replaceable SK-5 blade To work with balsa and possibly foam.

- 160W Dremel Style hand-tool w/ 33pc set 110V To work with balsa, and to do any kind of job.

- 2 in 1 Magnetizer and Demagnetizer Tool To give to a friend of mine :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I did a bit of reading and found that I needed a male XT-60 plug and some 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motor.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I did a bit of reading and found that I needed a male XT-60 plug and some 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motor.

You don´t necessarily need to because it would save you some weight, but at this size and class of airplane it would be advisable to have the ESC and motor both have the matching 3,5mm gold connectors. (I have them everywhere)
Especially when you´re working on your plane, you can easily just unplug 2 of the wires and try out the servos or what ever you need to without having the risk that the plane will kick of in a second coz you unpurposely touched the throttle stick.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Just a a word of caution André, those XT60's are good but the plastic isn't very heat resistant. Having extra's is good and when you actually solder, watch out that you don't overheat the plastic and move the pin off center. If you have a spare female end you can plug them together to keep the pins true while you're soldering. It also serves as a bit if a heat sink.

Is your order in yet?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Can't say I'm a fan of XT60s. Call me old fashioned, but I still use Deans. I don't understand why HK shifted to jst and XT60s, the former because they're awful and the latter, well, because there was nothing wrong with the T style connector. There are plenty of copies out there, so it can't be an expense thing...

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I had read somewhere that XT-60's are only rated for up to 60amps and that the Deans style connectors are ok to use for over 100amps.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
From an electronics background I rejected Dean's connectors because they looked tight to push together, tight to pull apart, and always having a bit of an exposed gap between. My first choice was actually EC3's which use the same bullet connectors as XT60's but even better, the EC3's you can solder the pins before inserting into the plastic back-shield. When connected, I like how both EC3 and XT60 don't have any exposed metal. The main reason I switched to XT60 is because my main battery supplier, HK, ships their 3 cell Lipo's with XT60's already on them. If they would just make the pins insertable after the soldering process then that would be satisfy my only complaint with them.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Just a a word of caution André, those XT60's are good but the plastic isn't very heat resistant. Having extra's is good and when you actually solder, watch out that you don't overheat the plastic and move the pin off center. If you have a spare female end you can plug them together to keep the pins true while you're soldering. It also serves as a bit if a heat sink.

Is your order in yet?

I'd also recommend if you're soldering to a battery, seal the end of the "holder" XT60. They can make contact with metal and short out. Don't ask me how I know...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'd also recommend if you're soldering to a battery, seal the end of the "holder" XT60. They can make contact with metal and short out. Don't ask me how I know...

Yes I always try to remember to have a larger piece of heat-shrink that will bind all around the back-shell and wires. If I can't or forget then some electrical tape or suitable substitute will work fine too.