What plane should I get?

What plane should I get?

• Total voters

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I was also thinking to get an ESC and a separate BEC... Would this be a good beginner investment? How would this be done?

Jon.G

go for the bixler!

go for the bixler!

the world of scratchbuilding is a little expensive to get into. So i would recommend starting with the bixler, then you will get a good platform to learn with.

but after you have crashed many, many, many times and you feel that the bixler is to easy for you, then it is time to scratchbuild! :p

earthsciteach

Hey, Colorex. I recommend you start with the Bixler. If you have an athletic field (futbol?) nearby, you can fly that plane. Of course, the bigger the space (and less obstacles) the better. A tiny 3d airplane on your street just seems like a recipe for frustration and busted foam.

Do you have access to Gorilla Glue in Ecuador? Can you purchase packaging tape? These two tools will be very critical for you, no matter what you chose!

Also, if you can afford it with your gift certificate, buy as many spare parts as you can and an extra battery. Keep working on your RC guide!

As much as you focus on RC flying, I am sure you have an intuition for flying. That's how I was at your age (and younger). I took flying lessons in high school in a Cessna 150 and it just came natural. I had studied aircraft inside and out, understood aerodynamics on an intuitive level. I've never lost that, fortunately. Flying RC came pretty easy for me. I suspect it will be similar for you.

I feel like you are one of my RC Build Club students! I am very excited and nervous for you. I don't want you to be in a position where you crash (it WILL happen) and don't have the materials to rebuild it.

earthsciteach

I was just checking out Portoviejo on Google Earth. There is a decent sized field at the end of Avenida Recaurte that would be decent for the Bixler, if you are allowed to fly there.
I also found this picture from Reales Tamarindos airport! Maybe you can get in with this group of RC fliers?
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/37261203

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well, I was analyzing the possibilities, and shipping is so darn expensive.

OK T2200.3S.25 - Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack $10.79
OK TGY-3 - Turnigy 2S 3S Balance Charger. Direct 11.. $11.44
OK HK-SS-ARF - Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm - (ARF) $52.65
BK TR_P30A - TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller $12.19

Total: $87.07 2416g

Air Parcel (ECUADOR) 2000g - 2499g $47.48

Your Total $134.07

I have $30 savings + $100 gift certificate and will soon have the rest.
I might add control horns and connectors if I get a bit more cash. Originally (in first post) I wanted to add another LiPo, but that raises the shipping.

Only thing is I'm kind of worried the post office here will charge me money.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I was also thinking to get an ESC and a separate BEC... Would this be a good beginner investment? How would this be done?

For a beginner the first thing you will damage is the fuselage itself not any electronics. Or lets rather say, that they are much harder to damage at all.

I would rather recommend you to use that money in a spare kit of the bixler or just save it for another plane.
Just out of curiosity why do you think you should need a spare ESC or BEC? I have never ever bought a spare one.
What you need as a beginner is all kinds of stuff like a good charger or a good soldering ion which is adjustable.
Those can reach prices of planes and much more and that is what you will need from time to time. A spare ESC won´t be useful for you unless you can solder your 3,5mm goldconnectors on it, will it?

I don´t know if you have that stuff yet, but after the Bixler go for that rather then spare parts which will be lying around for a while before there is any use for them.
Only buy stuff when you know you´re going to need it.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
There would be no advantage to having a separate BEC for this plane. Just added complexity and one more piece to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. An ESC with a built in BEC will not have any problem driving the servos that this plane will use.
These are the ones I like to use in this size plane http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__6458__Hobbyking_SS_Series_25_30A_ESC_card_programmable_.html Looks like they are out of stock AGAIN!

earthsciteach

Just buy the RTF Bixler. It is the simplest route to go! You will have everything you need. According to Hobbyking, the cost is about $130 US dollars with shipping to Portoviejo.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I was just checking out Portoviejo on Google Earth. There is a decent sized field at the end of Avenida Recaurte that would be decent for the Bixler, if you are allowed to fly there.
I also found this picture from Reales Tamarindos airport! Maybe you can get in with this group of RC fliers?
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/37261203

Whoa! I didn't know they flew RC at the airport! (even though planes rarely come down there)

The field you mention is called Parque La Rotonda, it would really be a good place, but you have to fly tight, so you don't lose your plane.

There is another place about the same size at the other end of Avenida Ricaurte, but there are more "bad guys" around there.

The military have an airstrip and a big field, but it's a restricted area.

Big place behind Velboni, but between buildings.

If you search for Colegio Cristo Rey, it's a high school, and they have a nice soccer field, but there are trees around too. I live two blocks away.

Going out of the city towards the suburbs, there might be places to fly as big as the stadium, with permission from the owners. Just so far away. Problem too is they're real hilly.

-----------------

Well I can probably do a couple of trips for my first flights. There are enough big places if I get permission and if I can get there.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Problem too is they're real hilly.

Rather hilly than sorrounded by trees.

Trees are evil and want to steel our planes! Keep away from them. Especially as a beginner just don´t go there. The Bixler need more than a soccerfield for a beginner. We don´t want you to give your 100$ to a tree.

Piper Cub

learn how to fly, then how to build, it's too much to try at once and you risk destrying your hard work... the bixler is a good beginner plane

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just out of curiosity why do you think you should need a spare ESC or BEC?

Because if your ESC shuts off, your servos still work.

There would be no advantage to having a separate BEC for this plane. Just added complexity and one more piece to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. An ESC with a built in BEC will not have any problem driving the servos that this plane will use.
These are the ones I like to use in this size plane http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__6458__Hobbyking_SS_Series_25_30A_ESC_card_programmable_.html Looks like they are out of stock AGAIN!

I have found the plush ESC's to have a nicer reputation :)

Just buy the RTF Bixler. It is the simplest route to go! You will have everything you need. According to Hobbyking, the cost is about $130 US dollars with shipping to Portoviejo.

Yeah, I'd prefer to go with better ESC than the stock one.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Good news! I found this page and I did some magic and got the order down from $87.07 to $85.89, so I added a turnigy neckstrap for $0.73!

I will make a thread about this site!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
For sure go with the Bixler as the first plane since your options are only what comes from HobbyKing. You're forgetting to add a transmitter to your ARF build...Either go with the RTF Bixler or maybe this:

Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm - (ARF) $49.82
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2) $22.99
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack $8.49
Turnigy balancer & Charger 2S-3S $4.49

Total: $85.79

It's showing $41 shipping to my location for this stuff

You may need to do some soldering to make sure all the connectors match...easiest to go with the RTF...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
For sure go with the Bixler as the first plane since your options are only what comes from HobbyKing. You're forgetting to add a transmitter to your ARF build...Either go with the RTF Bixler or maybe this:

Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm - (ARF) $49.82
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2) $22.99
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack $8.49
Turnigy balancer & Charger 2S-3S $4.49

Total: $85.79

It's showing $41 shipping to my location for this stuff

You may need to do some soldering to make sure all the connectors match...easiest to go with the RTF...

You're missing the ESC, a power source for the charger, and you got the cheapest charger :)
The charger I chose has no need for a source. The ESC I want is the Plush 25A (BK)

I already have a transmitter and receiver, need JR Tx/Rx crystal pair.

I got it to $86.62 with a $0.72 neckstrap. Shipping 47.48

Total $133.62 thanks to http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Colorex, I'd stick to the 1300 batteries.

Doubling the capacity might help with flight duration, but you're adding weight.

You'll get plenty of flight time with the 1300's and throttle management. And you could possibly buy two of them, for the price of one 2200.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The Bixler will take the same amount of weight to balance. The Bixler has four or five huge washers in the nose so it will balance with a 1300 lipo. Take the washers out and it will balance perfectly with a 2200 lipo.

Johntra

The Bix was my first plane and I bought 2 1600s with it. I dont think ive ever used them to their full capability. I also threw my buddys 2200 in just to see how long it would last and i was in the air for about 45 mins before i just gave up, and i still has plenty of power left in that battery.