What plane should I get?

What plane should I get?

• Total voters

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Depending on how fast you can learn I would either recommend you a Bixler or a Teksumo. :D

The good thing about the Teksumo is that you can´t break it easily and even if just hot glue it back together. Same for the Bixler.

You know yourself and your learning progress better than do, yo you should know. Try not to overestimate yourself :D Many people tend to do that.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah, The thing is, if I get a bixler, I'll need to find a large place for flying. If I go with the wing, I can fly it more places. If I go with a 3d foamie, I can fly in my house :)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
The question is can you fly your house in terms of your ability and skill level.

For the beginning you will need a lot of space anyway.
If it is a wing or a 3d plane. To start with you will always need an oben big spaced area to be able to get used to the control.

The question is have you ever flown rc yet?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Small toy RC, yes. Real RC, no. Simulator, Yes. I have mastered (I still crash) the Super bandit in FMS :)

PaulT

Mentor
Finally! I thought you would never ask!:D
1) Look at where you are going to fly.
Not much point in getting a plane with wheels if there isn"t a hard surface.
2) Start with small steps.
3D may look cool, but don't leap into advanced planes until you're ready. Frustrating is the word for that.
3)What can you afford to repairs on your first plane
You are going to crash. It's part of the learning curve.

And finally
4) You've heard this all before,
Just do it!
(feeling old and fatherly now):cool:

IMHO

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The Bixler is something you can enjoy in many ways, from almost sleeping in a chair to 1 " over the ground in fast maneuvers.
A Flying wing is just fun – the funniest “simulator” you can learn to fly with. If you get a hi rev inrunner behind the wing you will get some incredible sound effects like a small hi rev glow engine combined with almost totally silent gliding.

You can use any of them on the slope but for thermal the bixler is the best.

I think that you will need almost the same space to fly a wing as you need for the bixler (when you get used to them).In small areas you will probably need to circle them down instead of the normal “square landing procedure”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmT9YDy1BMI

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Congrats! You deserved it! You should get parts and make a scratchbuild. If you build it right, the results are rewarding. A good plane would be the rctestflight slow trainer(rctestflight.webs.com/slowtrainer.htm), or the steezy star(No plans available, but you don't have to make it exact) http://rctestflight.webs.com/steezystar.htm I built a similar one(probably scaled up), and it flew really good. Slow, stable, and easy to fly. W/S was 48" and Fuse length was about 60". (it is the big pink slow flyer mentioned in my signature)

planecrazy03

i've build my own. something about experimenting with different components in my workshop and building something cool just makes me appreciate it more and want to see something else come out lol

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I would say a bixler or similar for the first plane. 3d sounds great but its a bit harder than most
think and if your
flying indoors then hovering would be about it then you just as well get a heli.
I am fliying a nine eagles sky surfer at the moment and it is a perfect beginners plane.
On a final note, a scratchbuild is a big undertaking for a first time flyer maybe better to feel
how things move through the air and how you respond to them will give you a better feel on what to build at a later date whatever you decide just enjoy the beauty of flight...i do every time

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I think that you will need almost the same space to fly a wing as you need for the bixler (when you get used to them).In small areas you will probably need to circle them down instead of the normal “square landing procedure”.
+1 if these are your only two choices- go with the Bix
With either one of these planes you are gonna want to start out with wide open spaces.
In a small space a wing may not be your best bet as a beginner. Once you have progressed past beginner and into intermediate you will likely feel more comfortable with flying wings and feel more confident about flying and landing them into smaller areas.

Christian

My first models were ...
Bixler (a type of)
3D EPP Flyer (half scratchbuild)
Spitfire EPP
2,35m Fox glider
TekSUMO (will come soon)

Naamis

A guy once told me "get a plane based on where you can fly and is close". Actually quite true. I wouldn't even half as much as I do if I would have got something that needs me to hop in a car and take a longer journey. I have a lot to do after work when I get home, so the ability to step out and walk to a suitable field is bliss. I have a Kyosho minium edge, just because it's super small and fun. Then I have a bunch of others, amongst them a Bixler. I love the Bix as to me it's the most relaxing plane to cruise with and can carry fpv-stuff. Then I have a heli and edge 540 for more challenging flying.
So it's really not listing what you would like but what you don't want or isn't convenient. After that you have a basic idea of what it could be, then just pick a suitable one. Elimination is the way to go as you cannot have all of them... Or atleast my wife told me I cannot buy them all...

Nitronano

As an experimented RC nitro car pilot ( and after very much money spent! ) I bought an EDF jet! ( I know...bad choice for a start)...well, so far it was a not a waste of money...My jet survived 14 crashs..yes fourteen! and all it took was some 5 minute epoxy and I was flying again....so in MY opinion EPO, EPP planes are the way to go if you are starting, jets would not be best buy for a noobie but I got away with it thanks to a week of practice on a simulator....fiber glass?...crap!....balsa...crap!...EPO=survivor plane!!:applause:

DeBoe75

Passing by
Don't wast cash

Hi guys, I wanted to hear from YOU what plane I should get. If you watched the "Flying through glass" episode, you'll know what I'm talking about.

If your just using to blow through glass go as cheap as you can....But If it were me and and I was to use a Bixler, I would Cover the nose with cut Sheet (aluminum) or simple glue a ball bearing to nose tip and mold a clear canopy for the fpv cam in cockpit... This plane is a very controllable platform so you should be able to hit it first try... and still could be used later for what ever...good plane ---great with large brushless motor.:black_eyed:

Sole

Hey Colorex, I think a plane like the Bixler would be your best bet. Forgiving flying characteristics and easily repairable foam are things you will WANT in your first plane. Oh, and congrats again! :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I would say a bixler or similar for the first plane. 3d sounds great but its a bit harder than most
think and if your
flying indoors then hovering would be about it then you just as well get a heli.
I am fliying a nine eagles sky surfer at the moment and it is a perfect beginners plane.
On a final note, a scratchbuild is a big undertaking for a first time flyer maybe better to feel
how things move through the air and how you respond to them will give you a better feel on what to build at a later date whatever you decide just enjoy the beauty of flight...i do every time

I have done electronic-less scratchbuilds before...

A guy once told me "get a plane based on where you can fly and is close". Actually quite true. I wouldn't even half as much as I do if I would have got something that needs me to hop in a car and take a longer journey. I have a lot to do after work when I get home, so the ability to step out and walk to a suitable field is bliss. I have a Kyosho minium edge, just because it's super small and fun. Then I have a bunch of others, amongst them a Bixler. I love the Bix as to me it's the most relaxing plane to cruise with and can carry fpv-stuff. Then I have a heli and edge 540 for more challenging flying.
So it's really not listing what you would like but what you don't want or isn't convenient. After that you have a basic idea of what it could be, then just pick a suitable one. Elimination is the way to go as you cannot have all of them... Or atleast my wife told me I cannot buy them all...

If I get a plane based of where I can fly, it would be a 3D for "street flighting"... Not much of a beginner though...

As an experimented RC nitro car pilot ( and after very much money spent! ) I bought an EDF jet! ( I know...bad choice for a start)...well, so far it was a not a waste of money...My jet survived 14 crashs..yes fourteen! and all it took was some 5 minute epoxy and I was flying again....so in MY opinion EPO, EPP planes are the way to go if you are starting, jets would not be best buy for a noobie but I got away with it thanks to a week of practice on a simulator....fiber glass?...crap!....balsa...crap!...EPO=survivor plane!!:applause:

Will do EPO.

If your just using to blow through glass go as cheap as you can....But If it were me and and I was to use a Bixler, I would Cover the nose with cut Sheet (aluminum) or simple glue a ball bearing to nose tip and mold a clear canopy for the fpv cam in cockpit... This plane is a very controllable platform so you should be able to hit it first try... and still could be used later for what ever...good plane ---great with large brushless motor.:black_eyed:

LOL not glass, maybe I'll try to do some maize harvesting with the prop LOL

-------------------

Now you see, where I live, if you pick out a nice camera in front of people, you WILL (not may) be robbed. Same goes for a nice plane. So I'll have to find a solitary place to fly, so that I don't lose my plane. Big place, no wind, no people, no robbers.