Help! What prop adapter fits FT Radial 2212-1050kV brushless motor

wa1996

I'm having trouble landing my plane and I can't keep up with replacing the propellers, I want to try putting a prop adapter in front, maybe it will protect it. Any ideas?

Motor: Radial 2212-1050kV
Prop: 2 blade 9x4.5

Thanks

FDS

Elite member
You want a prop saver. They usually fit smaller shafts than the ones on the radial motors. The one you have is a 5mm shaft, it may be a bit wider with the thread included.
If you are breaking lots of props you are using too much throttle when you contact the ground, you should cut the throttle as you flare, before you drop the last 6” onto the ground.
I find the flexible grey APC props are more durable than the slow fly type black ones, you could try a few of those too.
You could also try landing gear, many FT planes will take a set of wheels. Or look for long grass to land in.
Good landing technique is well worth learning, I found this video really helpful in improving my techniqu.

wa1996

You want a prop saver. They usually fit smaller shafts than the ones on the radial motors. The one you have is a 5mm shaft, it may be a bit wider with the thread included.
If you are breaking lots of props you are using too much throttle when you contact the ground, you should cut the throttle as you flare, before you drop the last 6” onto the ground.
I find the flexible grey APC props are more durable than the slow fly type black ones, you could try a few of those too.
You could also try landing gear, many FT planes will take a set of wheels. Or look for long grass to land in.
Good landing technique is well worth learning, I found this video really helpful in improving my techniqu.

Haha, it's more like lift off -> drop -> break propeller. I flew it twice and broke both of my propellers. The plane went up probably by 1 meter and dropped on long grass on a wet soil, I don't understand how the prop is braking so easily. Thank's for your suggestions though, I'll try a different material propeller, is this the one you're talking about?
https://www.banggood.com/GEMFAN-GF-....html?rmmds=search&ID=516806&cur_warehouse=CN

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
APC is a brand of prop. They're costly, compared to cheaper brands, or props designed for quads. You sort of get what you pay for with the props, though. I've literally got bags full of cheap props. They do not perform as well as the APC and pretty much break if you look at them. Really, what can we expect from the cheap props at a dollar apiece, or less?

The bigger question is not that the cheap props break. The bigger question is how can we get your plane into the air, so you're not breaking props on takeoff? Can you very succinctly tell us what is happening? Even better (by a longshot!) would be video, so we can help diagnose why your plane isn't flying. :)

wa1996

APC is a brand of prop. They're costly, compared to cheaper brands, or props designed for quads. You sort of get what you pay for with the props, though. I've literally got bags full of cheap props. They do not perform as well as the APC and pretty much break if you look at them. Really, what can we expect from the cheap props at a dollar apiece, or less?

The bigger question is not that the cheap props break. The bigger question is how can we get your plane into the air, so you're not breaking props on takeoff? Can you very succinctly tell us what is happening? Even better (by a longshot!) would be video, so we can help diagnose why your plane isn't flying. :)

The very first time, I flew it from my house garden and it took off, I just wanted to test if it can take off. It went only a meter high and I stopped throttle and it feel on it's face. The second time, I took it to the park so I have space to fly it. The grass was too long the wheels couldn't move, so I had my brother launch it, i wanted to get some elevation on it, as soon as my brother let go of it, it did a 360 degrees on the spot and broke my prop. So, in conclusion, I don't know what's wrong with it, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just need to look for an experienced person to test fly it for me to make sure everything is ok.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
What plane are you trying to fly? If the grass is so high, that hand launching is necessary, that's OK. Depending on the plane, the way it is launched can be critical to a successful flight.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's an ft simple cup
The Simple Cub has been touted by a few as a good plane to learn to fly with. Most would disagree. But if that's the plane you've got, then let's work with it.

Ground launching is difficult for a new pilot, but will give you more confidence, once you learn to fly. Since you've got someone to hand-launch your cub, try this:

They need to hold it underneath, just so they're comfortable with the balance. Add just a tiny amount of up elevator. You've got to bring up the throttle to about 75%. Your brother has to EVENLY THROW the bird into a light wind at just a little above the horizon level. It's not like throwing a ball. It's more like pushing the plane with force with follow-through into the desired vector.

You've got throttle. You've got a bit of up elevator. You can expect the plane to roll rapidly with the torque of the engine and propellor. You've got to immediately counter. The little bit of up elevator means you won't be pointed at the ground, but if you're not careful you can point straight up.

You've got to be quick on the sticks and smooth things out. Then you just fly until you crash. Then you rebuild and do it again. Pretty soon, there's a whole lot less crashing and a whole lot more flying!

You are firmly on the road to RC flight success! I wish you luck and keep us posted, so we can help and cheer you on! :)

wa1996

The Simple Cub has been touted by a few as a good plane to learn to fly with. Most would disagree. But if that's the plane you've got, then let's work with it.

Ground launching is difficult for a new pilot, but will give you more confidence, once you learn to fly. Since you've got someone to hand-launch your cub, try this:

They need to hold it underneath, just so they're comfortable with the balance. Add just a tiny amount of up elevator. You've got to bring up the throttle to about 75%. Your brother has to EVENLY THROW the bird into a light wind at just a little above the horizon level. It's not like throwing a ball. It's more like pushing the plane with force with follow-through into the desired vector.

You've got throttle. You've got a bit of up elevator. You can expect the plane to roll rapidly with the torque of the engine and propellor. You've got to immediately counter. The little bit of up elevator means you won't be pointed at the ground, but if you're not careful you can point straight up.

You've got to be quick on the sticks and smooth things out. Then you just fly until you crash. Then you rebuild and do it again. Pretty soon, there's a whole lot less crashing and a whole lot more flying!

You are firmly on the road to RC flight success! I wish you luck and keep us posted, so we can help and cheer you on! :)

Great advice man, I appreciate your help.

tamuct01

If you're getting significant torque roll on the Cub, which motor and prop size are you using? I had a heck of a time with my FT Duster on a Power Pack C with a 9x6 prop. The prop combo there was fine for the motor, but the pitch of the prop was too much for little Duster and it would torque roll something fierce any time power was applied. When I switched to a lower-pitch prop (10x4.5), the torque roll went away and the plane was much more manageable.

Reactions: FDS