What Receiver Can I Use With a FP-T7UAF

Nerd Ninja

Reinventing everything!
Hi guys! First let me start off by saying I'm a long time FliteTest follower, but brand new to the hoppy. Aside from some Airhogs when I was younger.

I found a Futaba FP-T7UAF on FB Marketplace for $15! It's just the transmitter and It didn't come with anything except a 72MHz FP-TP-FM Module on the back and a manual.

My goal is to make a PPM converter for a PC joystick that I can use with the transmitter. However first I need to find out how to build an airplane with this setup

As I said before, I am completely new to the hobby, but I am skilled in electronics, soldering etc.

What receiver am I able to use/ what would you guys recommend? I also will need servo's and motor control.. but I think I can figure that out once I get past the receiver.

My only other question is about quads. I love them, but this transmitter says it's aircraft only. Would I be able to use it for a quad?

Thanks for the help guys!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.....What receiver am I able to use/ what would you guys recommend? .....
My only other question is about quads. I love them, but this transmitter says it's aircraft only. Would I be able to use it for a quad?.....
In my humble opinion you over paid, You need to get a 2.4ghz transmitter, 2.4 ghz is far more reliable.

72mhz transmitters were divided into 2 main categories, for use in the air & use on the surface. They used a channel to separate one user from another. There should be some kind of channel designation on the Tx, if I recall the channels were in the range of 13-70. If 2 people were on the same channel, the 2 Tx would interfere with each other. You will need a Futaba Rx with the same channel that the Tx is using.

You could use this with quads, but I would not recommend it.

Nerd Ninja

Reinventing everything!
In my humble opinion you over paid, You need to get a 2.4ghz transmitter, 2.4 ghz is far more reliable.

72mhz transmitters were divided into 2 main categories, for use in the air & use on the surface. They used a channel to separate one user from another. There should be some kind of channel designation on the Tx, if I recall the channels were in the range of 13-70. If 2 people were on the same channel, the 2 Tx would interfere with each other. You will need a Futaba Rx with the same channel that the Tx is using.

You could use this with quads, but I would not recommend it.

I saw these going for $150 on ebay. I figured this was a steal. Is there anything I could really use it for?

I also looked on the back and my channel is 36

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... I also looked on the back and my channel is 36
72mhz receivers were far more combatable with each other that 2.4ghz. With 2.4, there is a protocol and there are many different protocols that don't work with each other. With 72, the receiver is either inverted signal or non inverted signal. I don't remember which signal Futaba used but their format was by far the most common format. I used Airtronic which used the least common format, but near the end of 72mhz days, the Airtronic Tx could produce the both signals.

To be safe you will need a Futaba Rx with channel 36. But most of (80%+) the 72mhz Rx's will work, as long as they are channel 36.

A cheap 2.4ghz ($100 or less) Tx will be more reliable and have far more features than yours, model memory, digital trims & mixing.

Nerd Ninja

Reinventing everything!
72mhz receivers were far more combatable with each other that 2.4ghz. With 2.4, there is a protocol and there are many different protocols that don't work with each other. With 72, the receiver is either inverted signal or non inverted signal. I don't remember which signal Futaba used but their format was by far the most common format. I used Airtronic which used the least common format, but near the end of 72mhz days, the Airtronic Tx could produce the both signals.

To be safe you will need a Futaba Rx with channel 36. But most of (80%+) the 72mhz Rx's will work, as long as they are channel 36.

A cheap 2.4ghz ($100 or less) Tx will be more reliable and have far more features than yours, model memory, digital trims & mixing.

I did a little digging and found it's relatively easy to convert the radio to 2.4

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-xht-diy-telemetry-module.html

This is what I landed on and I'm going to reference one of FliteTest's old guides

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/diy-2-4ghz-radio-upgrade/

I'm still not 100% sure what receiver I should pair with this, but it does open my options.

as for features, I'm not sure what the Tx module brings, but atm I'm not too concerned. Just trying to work with what I have