What should I design next??

What should I design next??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
He could also do some cheater holes, the intake is one of the iconic F-100 characteristics.
Cheater holes.....nein nein, I shall do no such thing.

Yeah, if I end up doing the F-100 I'm going to try really hard to exclude cheater holes.

jamboree1

How about something never done, Howard Hughes racer? I seen a few balsa builds but never foamboard.
Howard Hughes racer.jpg

if you did the f-100 you could have to expand the air intake in the front. That's the only thing I can think of that wouldn't be scale.
Something hit me the other day about EDF internals. Other than round nacelle/intake/engine tubes, if the intake and internal air passage is Square with a Flat wall front mount for the EDF, why not get some construction paper and build a Square to Round Transition to aid the feed air flow into the EDF?
sqtr1.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Something hit me the other day about EDF internals. Other than round nacelle/intake/engine tubes, if the intake and internal air passage is Square with a Flat wall front mount for the EDF, why not get some construction paper and build a Square to Round Transition to aid the feed air flow into the EDF? View attachment 121819
Yes exactly, it's basically the same thing I did on my L-39's nose cone but with more segments.

Hey Grifflyer, I saw something last night that inspired me. Small Startup companies across the world are mixing what we've been (The RC Aircraft Realm) doing for decades using and improving Electric Motors for our planes, with Hybrid Automotive electronics and Drive Motors...
Anyway, one little company in the UK is building an Electric Sport Plane to vie with gas powered racers like those in the Red Bull Racing. How? Two Coaxial Electric Motors and Counter Rotating Props. The CEO demonstrated with a RC unit in the Youtube video.
That bought up you to mind with your next build. Spitfire Model 22 with Counter Rotating Props?
Or... tapping the Flite Test Forum Family... Anyone ever 3D print and power a Counter Rotating Dual Blade Set Electric Ducted Fan?

The little blue test bed units have thrust sensors in the motor mount section, plus the control box measures voltage and amperage usage. If anyone knows where I can find these Test Stands?

Attachments

• SpitfireMK20something.png
    SpitfireMK20something.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ModelCRPU.png
    ModelCRPU.png
    558.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TestBedUnit.png
    TestBedUnit.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • TestBedUnit-02.png
    TestBedUnit-02.png
    2 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hey Grifflyer, I saw something last night that inspired me. Small Startup companies across the world are mixing what we've been (The RC Aircraft Realm) doing for decades using and improving Electric Motors for our planes, with Hybrid Automotive electronics and Drive Motors...
Anyway, one little company in the UK is building an Electric Sport Plane to vie with gas powered racers like those in the Red Bull Racing. How? Two Coaxial Electric Motors and Counter Rotating Props. The CEO demonstrated with a RC unit in the Youtube video.
That bought up you to mind with your next build. Spitfire Model 22 with Counter Rotating Props?
Or... tapping the Flite Test Forum Family... Anyone ever 3D print and power a Counter Rotating Dual Blade Set Electric Ducted Fan?
That sounds super cool!!

The spit sounds really cool but I'd essentially be putting a different power system into the FT spitfire, but still extremely cool nonetheless. I wonder if 3D printing an EDF would have tight enough tolerances to ensure its balanced, and now that I think about it I wonder if PLA or ABS will be able to cope with the stresses...

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
That sounds super cool!!

The spit sounds really cool but I'd essentially be putting a different power system into the FT spitfire, but still extremely cool nonetheless. I wonder if 3D printing an EDF would have tight enough tolerances to ensure its balanced, and now that I think about it I wonder if PLA or ABS will be able to cope with the stresses...

I think 3D printing and EDF is viable. See the post by @Fluburtur here

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Devastator, Devastator, Devastator!!!! Did I mention Devastator?

One of my favorite looking planes from the late 30s US Navy schmorgisborg. I've never seen or heard of a model of it, and the only place I've seen it is in video games.

Seriously, look at this canopy! :love:
TBD.jpg

Of course, with my vote included, it got the least votes with 2.5% :(
The great thing is, I'm learning Inkscape and Autocad, so I can build my own if you never get around to it.

EDIT: oh wait, my vote was the only vote for the Devastator :cautious:

Cheers,
Sam

JTarmstr

Elite member
I will just say since the SBD is out of the picture i changed my vote to F-100, i think we have seen to many A-10s with the two Flitetest variants, the Nerdnic variant and several others.

May the best plane win.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Devastator, Devastator, Devastator!!!! Did I mention Devastator?

One of my favorite looking planes from the late 30s US Navy schmorgisborg. I've never seen or heard of a model of it, and the only place I've seen it is in video games.

Seriously, look at this canopy! :love:
View attachment 122110

Of course, with my vote included, it got the least votes with 2.5% :(
The great thing is, I'm learning Inkscape and Autocad, so I can build my own if you never get around to it.

EDIT: oh wait, my vote was the only vote for the Devastator :cautious:

Cheers,
Sam
Now you got two votes;)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yeah I probably wouldn't have chosen the A-10 seeing how nerdnic already did one, and FT is about to release one. I didn't know either of those things when I made the thread...